Etymotic Research ER6i

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm thinking of buying a pair of Etymotic Research ER6i in-ear headphones and was wondering what sort of experience other people had with these. A friend at work mentioned that they weren't very "rugged" and that the junction with the jack was a particularly weak point.

Also, do you think that they are worth the extra money compared to say, Shure SE 110 or even the Sennheiser CX 300? I'm particularly looking for good isolation, as I use them on the move, including noisy London buses and tubes.

Thanks in advance!

Peter

GetCarter

Nov 5, 2003
Visit site
Bought a pair of these last time on holiday in the states form the Apple store and took them back after a week (reason for buying there in the first place was the returns policy plus pound was nearly $2 at time, remember that?!) The only problem with Etymotics is you either love or hate them, due to fit issues, I just couldn't get on with them, they sounded great, but after 20 mins they just plain hurt.

I have had the CX 300, and at the time thought they were great, and comfortable for the money, and compared to Apple packins they are fantastic. But again have found since that in reality they are a little flat sounding. Recently had some Skullcandy Titans, not available in UK only US, great sound, really open with great clarity and spaciousness, though not as much bass as the CX300, but once used to they were fantastic.

Biggest problem with all this is that you spend a fortune on Earphones without being able to try before you buy, and if you don't like them you can't take them back to most shops, so money down the drain. It has to be said that Apple stores 14day return policy is great, just a shame they are a little pricey for stuff. But you pays your money and takes your choice. Spending out on something you hate is even more wasteful.ÿ

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
I have very recently purchased some of these 'phones. Previously, I had owned various 'budget' models and then the Sennheiser CX300 (version 1) and then the CX300 II model as reviewed by WHF and recommended at £40 - I was well pleased with my purchase off Amazon at under £15. I found them comfortable, more spacious, with better detail and a nice 'warm' sound enriched by what I perceived to be a decent bass.

Then, some rotter of a friend let me try a pair of Shure 420 'phones - mmmmmmm! I was amazed at the leap in all-round quality and realism. However, he told me that he got them as a bargain at £110 last year! Ah, not sure I want to pay that much, even if I can find them at such a price - I don't really do that much 'serious' listening via laptop or iPod.

But it got me interested in the potential of intermediate level earphones of a similar type and, after a bit of checking on the Web, I purchased the ER6i pair off Fleabay at £60. Yes, a bit of a risk, but the reviews and price were good.

I now know why opinion is so divided over these 'phones. When they arrived I was really excited and hurriedly gave them a try on my laptop. Well, I have to say I was rather disappointed. Yes, suddenly the sound opened out and the upper end of the scale acquired a clarity and precision that I wasn't aware was missing from the CX300 IIs, but where was the 'enhanced bass'? I tried various of the ear fittings, but the bass eluded me. I finally got something approaching what I expected when I read the instructions more closely and shoved the flanged earpieces down the ear canals more fully. Not sure I liked the feeling of that!

However, having compared the sound of the Sennheisers on both laptop and iPod over the past few days I have come to realise that I am beginning to prefer the ER6i sound. It should be noted that the difference in sound between laptop and iPod is distinct, and you can tell that the ER6i does arguably sound better on the latter. The CX300 II sound is not warmer, as I first thought; it is bassier and more woolly towards the bottom end. The top end is less crisp and clear. In a way it sounds more intimate and warmer, but maybe a lot less accurate. On the other hand, for under £15 I still think the Sennheiser offering is a steal...and, until I get used to the ER6i fitting, far more comfortable!

As with all things hi-fi, at the end of the day it comes down to personal taste and the source you use. One person listening to the same model of earphones on a laptop will hear something different from another listening on his/her iPod. Because our ears are all made differently, these various earbuds don't necessarily suit everyone. Which makes me wonder why enlightened retailers don't offer a try-before-you-buy service, perhaps at a nominal charge to cover the cost of keeping a stock of extra buds or sanitiser. It would make buying earphones much less of a minefield. Or am I missing something?

Anyway, the ER6i 'phones are getting a qualified 'thumbs up' from me - not as comfortable as I had hoped, but I won't be wearing them for extended periods. If anyone knows of compatible fittings, I would be interested to hear about it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts