Epson eh-tw6150/6250 thoughts?

Jimjrada

Jun 16, 2021
Visit site
Looking to buy a new projector, and was considering eh-tw7000 or 7100, but have spotted these two new models. Has anyone seen them in action? Worth considering?

Arron

Aug 24, 2021
Visit site
The 6150/6250 are basically desktop projectors whereas the 7000 is a full-size, full power projector.
The 7100 is a 7000 with better contrast. And contrast makes a huge difference.
(If you can afford it, the 9400 is noticeably better but it's a lot of money. It has even more contrast and much better black levels.)

Of the projectors you mention, the 7000 is good and the 7100 is well worth the extra.

Jimjrada

Jun 16, 2021
Visit site
Thanks for your reply, Arron. Appreciated. The model I'm replacing is an Epson EH-TW6100W, which I've always been pleased with, but would now like to upgrade to 4K (recently bought a Panasonic UB820EB Bluray player after my old Pioneer LX71 gave up). Will keep looking for discounts on the 7100 as 9400 looks out of my range at the moment. Thanks again.

abacus

Don't forget to look at DLP based projectors as they are ideal for normal rooms, whereas the LCD type work better in a light controlled room. (Make sure you try before you buy in case you are susceptible to rainbow effects (Most people aren't)
Deep black levels only really come into effect in a light controlled environment.

Bill

Jimjrada

Jun 16, 2021
Visit site
Thanks, Bill. I have to admit I was largely looking at the Epson LCDs, just because of my experience to date with the 6100. I only ever use the projector in a darkened room, mainly for watching Bluray films, but some streaming too. Haven't tested myself for rainbow effect susceptibility, but worth a go. Presume something from Ben Q, or perhaps Optoma would make sense??

Arron

Aug 24, 2021
Visit site
Thanks for your reply, Arron. Appreciated. The model I'm replacing is an Epson EH-TW6100W, which I've always been pleased with, but would now like to upgrade to 4K (recently bought a Panasonic UB820EB Bluray player after my old Pioneer LX71 gave up). Will keep looking for discounts on the 7100 as 9400 looks out of my range at the moment. Thanks again.
Ah, cool, so the 7100 would be the right way to go. The 7000 would only be a small upgrade from your 6100 -- might be noticeable, might not. Definitely nothing to make you go wow. If the 7100 is too much of a stretch price-wise, I'd say wait it out. The 7000 probably isn't worth the spend over your 6100.

As @abacus says, Epson isn't the only game in town. Though I can't stand DLP -- taste the rainbow every time -- so definitely try before you buy.

Jimjrada

Jun 16, 2021
Visit site
Thanks, Arron. Very useful advice re the 7000 versus the 7100. I'll also take a trip to my local RS to see if I also see rainbows with DLP. Funds are a bit stretched as I'm also looking at replacing my receiver (current Pioneer SC-LX71 still going strong, but I need a second HDMI out with standby pass through so I can hook up both TV and projector without hassle, so looking for Denon AVC -X4700h deals, too). Thanks again!

Arron

Aug 24, 2021
Visit site
Thanks, Arron. Very useful advice re the 7000 versus the 7100. I'll also take a trip to my local RS to see if I also see rainbows with DLP. Funds are a bit stretched as I'm also looking at replacing my receiver (current Pioneer SC-LX71 still going strong, but I need a second HDMI out with standby pass through so I can hook up both TV and projector without hassle, so looking for Denon AVC -X4700h deals, too). Thanks again!
There we get into tough-call territory. The reviews were uniformly great so I risked buying a Denon 3600 without listening. What HiFi award winner, etc. It was awful. Sounded fine if you listened to it for a few minutes but couldn't sit through a whole album. Ended up sending it back and buying a refurb Yamaha at double the price. Had to live on beans on toast for a few months.

RS offered in-home trials for a while, not sure if they still do. That's definitely the way to go if you can. It's a major pain because setup is normally a day or two plus a couple of weeks fine-tuning. The idea of sending it back after that is not fun. But it's better to have a compatible amp you love. And if you do like it, it just stays put.

On the projector front, RS has the 7100 as a refurb for £1199. You could probably twist their arm into giving you a multi-year guarantee with that.

Can't really help you with the decision whether to do the amp or projector first other than to wish you luck :)

Jimjrada

Jun 16, 2021
Visit site
There we get into tough-call territory. The reviews were uniformly great so I risked buying a Denon 3600 without listening. What HiFi award winner, etc. It was awful. Sounded fine if you listened to it for a few minutes but couldn't sit through a whole album. Ended up sending it back and buying a refurb Yamaha at double the price. Had to live on beans on toast for a few months.

RS offered in-home trials for a while, not sure if they still do. That's definitely the way to go if you can. It's a major pain because setup is normally a day or two plus a couple of weeks fine-tuning. The idea of sending it back after that is not fun. But it's better to have a compatible amp you love. And if you do like it, it just stays put.

On the projector front, RS has the 7100 as a refurb for £1199. You could probably twist their arm into giving you a multi-year guarantee with that.

Can't really help you with the decision whether to do the amp or projector first other than to wish you luck :)

Jimjrada

Jun 16, 2021
Visit site
It's sounding like my visit to RS will be a long one! Amp and projectors to audition, plus some possible arm twisting. Really appreciate the benefit of your experience, both with projector and amp. Thanks, Arron!

Arron

Aug 24, 2021
Visit site
It's sounding like my visit to RS will be a long one! Amp and projectors to audition, plus some possible arm twisting. Really appreciate the benefit of your experience, both with projector and amp. Thanks, Arron!
Happy to help. If it's any extra help, there was a track that particularly highlighted the problem with the Denon 3600 -- Pink Floyd's Louder Than Words. Listen to the highest notes on the keyboards in the first 20 secs. On a good amp, they're clean. On the Denon 3600, those highest notes became nails on a blackboard after a few listens. Didn't matter if it was speakers or wired headphones and tried two different 3600s.

NRone79

Dec 29, 2023
Visit site
Late to the party, but I'm in the exact same situation; coming from a 6100 and looking into a 7000 / 7100. So I'm wondering what you ended up with and if you're happy? Please share your choice with me and let me know about your experience so far. I'm very curious!

Arron

Aug 24, 2021
Visit site
Late to the party, but I'm in the exact same situation; coming from a 6100 and looking into a 7000 / 7100. So I'm wondering what you ended up with and if you're happy? Please share your choice with me and let me know about your experience so far. I'm very curious!
Looks like @Jimjrada hasn't logged in since that last reply almost a year ago. Might get an email telling him you've asked if he hasn't turned off notifications 🫤

A couple of things have changed since then. First is the boom of ultra-short throw laser projectors. Not as good as a trad projector but very convenient. Just avoid lasers if you expect to be a high-hours user (I'd burn one out in ~2 years). Second is the rise of massive TVs for low prices. You can now get 100" 4K for not much more than a projector. Not quite the same experience but, again, very convenient.

Reactions: NRone79

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts