Epos M5 speakers- anyone got or heard them?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Fraziel"]Anyone heard these speakers? if so, how would you describe the sound? I mean the M5 not the brand new M5i. Thanks[/quote]

Yes and others too I'm sure. Better ask thaiman though, I dont think he believes I heard them
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

[quote user="drummerman"]
[quote user="Fraziel"]Anyone heard these speakers? if so, how would you describe the sound? I mean the M5 not the brand new M5i. Thanks[/quote]

Yes and others too I'm sure. Better ask thaiman though, I dont think he believes I heard them
emotion-2.gif

[/quote]

I know you mentioned them in another post. I have been googling them but there is not a lot of info out there on them.I know they got 5stars in a what hi fi system test with the cambridge audio 640a amp and they also won an award.Unfortunately i did not get to read either write up. I am not overly impressed with my Rs1's. After longer listening they are beginning to bug me with the lack of real driving punchy bass, except at mega volume levels.The MA BR1's are better in that respect and they are tiny! The Rs1's either sound amazing or cr*p,depending on cd production, and thats not good enough really.I have sold my arcam power amp today for £155 and am selling cambridge with a view to a nad c352 or 355bee.If that does not sort MA's then epos M5's are on my radar. I am looking for rhythmic punchy sound but with the mon audio clarity.Heard the PMC DB1's and they were superb.Too expensive though.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Yes, its a very good little speaker, as is the 12.2.

I assume you are looking at the older models as they are sold at good discounts now and you have to buy from an e-retailer. Normally I'd say dont do it but if you have no choice either one will be better than what you have now. Depending on how big your room is choose the smaller or larger model.

If you can stretch a little further or wait a month or so I would also recommend Regas R3.

A

Anonymous

thanks both of you. Cypher, it seems we are both having the same problem.I have had my speakers for a shorter time than you. I know they r not run in yet but i dont think they will change dramatically now.As you said, put on a good cd and you will be amazed.Anything else is borderline unlistenable.My mate has BR1's and they are unreal.They have more punch AND more depth at times than the Rs1's.that should not be happening.Sure,the RS1s are more open with a better soundstage but the BR1's have a more enjoyable listen. Anyway, just sold my cambridge and arcam in 1 day on e bay so will be getting either the nad c352 or 355 this weekend.If i can find a nad dealer in glasgow that is.Demoing my speakers tonight on my mates system.If they still sound the same then they are going.Potential buyer already lined up! cheers.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Fraziel"]Anyone heard these speakers? if so, how would you describe the sound? I mean the M5 not the brand new M5i. Thanks.[/quote]

My brother owns a pair (into an old Marantz PM8200) and they are lively and detailed without being overbright. Bass response is reasonable from a cabinet of that size and the fit and finish is good. They were solid value at £350 so any discount will be excellent.

sixofnine

Aug 26, 2007
Visit site
Have a pair running through an Arcam Solo. I love them - they are not too dominant in my smallish lounge and the sound is lively and detailed, if a little warm through the Solo. Would certainly recommend them.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="fatboyslimfast"]Liking the name Mr Hatred. But can he hear the M5s after using your 'psilence' ?[/quote]

Psilence was purely for my wife's screaming disorder. As yet I've had no need to unleash it on my brother.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Leonard Hatred"][quote user="Fraziel"]Anyone heard these speakers? if so, how would you describe the sound? I mean the M5 not the brand new M5i. Thanks.[/quote] My brother owns a pair (into an old Marantz PM8200) and they are lively and detailed without being overbright. Bass response is reasonable from a cabinet of that size and the fit and finish is good. They were solid value at £350 so any discount will be excellent.[/quote]

thanks.Are they ok to drive? they are 4 ohms which could be tricky. If they are not too bad in that respect and have plenty of punch and clarity then that will do for me.I am not looking for seismic bass so thats not an issue.As long as it has reasonable depth and hits hard, that will do me.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Fraziel"]thanks.Are they ok to drive? they are 4 ohms which could be tricky. If they are not too bad in that respect and have plenty of punch and clarity then that will do for me.I am not looking for seismic bass so thats not an issue.As long as it has reasonable depth and hits hard, that will do me.[/quote]

They don't have any really nasty habits so if the amp is happy at 4 ohms, they'll run without incident. They aren't the most sensitive speakers going so if you like listening at the sort of levels that result in internal bleeding, I'd look elsewhere but for less gung ho listening they are splendid.

A

Anonymous

I found the Epos of today are not as good as the old Epos of yesteryear (Robin Marshall period), I thought the M5 was a good little speaker, but it could sound a bit rough and ragged in the treble, I guess that's why the are improving it. Nice build quality too for the money, but I would try to stretch for the 12.2, the floorstanders I found very bland.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="silly"]I found the Epos of today are not as good as the old Epos of yesteryear (Robin Marshall period), I thought the M5 was a good little speaker, but it could sound a bit rough and ragged in the treble, I guess that's why the are improving it. Nice build quality too for the money, but I would try to stretch for the 12.2, the floorstanders I found very bland.[/quote]

I have thought about the 12.2 but my room is 5m x 3.5m and the speakers are going at the 3.5m end.If i bought the 12.2's and put them a decent distance apart then they might be a little too close to corners for a speaker of that size. I had heard what you say about the treble but it can't be any more difficult to put up with than a mon audio speaker surely? I like a slightly bright sound but you need balance in the bass which, from what people have said, would appear to be the case with epos and would appear not to be the case with RS1's. there is a limited choice of good speakers round about the £350 mark, which does not help. unfortunately i don't really like B&W speakers.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Fraziel"]thanks.Are they ok to drive? they are 4 ohms which could be tricky.[/quote]

A lot of speakers these days use 4ohm bass units and no reasonable amplifier will have great difficulty driving that load. Its usually a momentary dip and you find average loads are around 6. Epos just happen to be a bit more honest than certain other manufacturers.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="drummerman"]
Do rega do stand mounts? any good?
[/quote]

I think you know that the only way to get to the bottom of this is to try the options in your system in your home. A bit of effort/time but if it gets you where you want, worth it.

A

Anonymous

Not just me who find the bass of the RS1s a bit like an afterthought. Even the midrange gets a bit shrill at times. (yes, I have unplugged the sub)

I'd audition some Rega R3s or R5s. They have quite a unique sound, perhaps a little polite, but it grows on you very quickly. The bass is well proportioned, well controlled and detailed, something the RS1s (and RS6s!) can't manage. The midrange is stunning although the sound-stage could be a bit wider or open.

Another option would be Dynaudio Audition 52s. They just do everything well. They appear on eBay occasionally too.

PMCs are superb speakers but I suspect you really need the GB1s as a minimum else the bass might displease. Again, good enough to warrant a second-hand pair.

While I'm here I'd have to recommend the Rega amps if you decide you like Rega speakers. Maybe it's placebo effect but I think they work well together. Perhaps no surprises there but I don't know why this is the case.

Go auditioning this weekend and let us know how you get on...

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Fraziel"][quote user="silly"]I found the Epos of today are not as good as the old Epos of yesteryear (Robin Marshall period), I thought the M5 was a good little speaker, but it could sound a bit rough and ragged in the treble, I guess that's why the are improving it. Nice build quality too for the money, but I would try to stretch for the 12.2, the floorstanders I found very bland.[/quote]

I have thought about the 12.2 but my room is 5m x 3.5m and the speakers are going at the 3.5m end.If i bought the 12.2's and put them a decent distance apart then they might be a little too close to corners for a speaker of that size. I had heard what you say about the treble but it can't be any more difficult to put up with than a mon audio speaker surely? I like a slightly bright sound but you need balance in the bass which, from what people have said, would appear to be the case with epos and would appear not to be the case with RS1's. there is a limited choice of good speakers round about the £350 mark, which does not help. unfortunately i don't really like B&W speakers.[/quote]

That's a nice size room you have their, the Epos will work nicely. I can't can't on with MA at all, not my kind of sound, but if you like a bright sound, that is clean, I would chose Totem over Epos and MA.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts