Epos Epic 2s or KEF Q300 or Monitor Audio RX2 with MCR-603

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I went to Superfi the other day to find a pair of speakers for a Marantz MCR-603.

I was originally thinking of getting the KEF Q300s due to the excellent reviews of them online and was initially impressed when they were first demoed. I then was shown the Epos Epic 2s which seemed to provide a much fuller sound than the KEFs on the 2 songs demoed. Since the demo I have got the fever and looked online and seen lots of people giving the Monitor Audio RX 2s hype but cannot find a professional review of them anywhere and not a lot of places seem to sell them.

Can anyone give me opinions on the Epic 2s or the RX 2s in comparison to the Q300s as I am going back to the shop again on Tuesday for another demo with my own music this time and want to know what to listen out for.

This is my first time buying actual Hi-Fi and would appreciate any help.

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
In general i can say i am a big Epos-fan. I live with my ES-11's for 20 years now. I am doubting to change them for Epois Epic 5's because of a little more bass. Epos images very well and sounds very musical and kind of sweet. The Monitor Audio's are much brighter in sound in general. The Epic's 2 + dedicated stands will cost about the same as the Epic 5. If i were you, i would know what to choose. Try to listen them at home.

Good luck!

A

Anonymous

Is there a http://marketing.sevenoakssoundandvision.co.uk/home.aspx near you? if so they will be able to demo both kef & monitor audio for you (if in stock)

Kef are having a 20% off sale at the moment when you trade in your old speakers..(which can be anything)

saying that the monitor audios are very well built and go extremely well with marantz kit, so its really down to your personal taste and what your willing to spend, not sure if you need stands/cable but if you do dont forget to factor those costs into your final budget..

A

Anonymous

Rethep I'm glad to hear you've lived with them for twenty years, I'm planning on buying something to last me for a while. I can only find the 5s for around £750 which is would be £325 on stands for the Epic 2. I wasn't planning on spending that much, but if you know of them being cheaper elsewhere please let me know. By brighter do you mean that the top end is more prominent? The pair of Aktimate Minis that I have seem quite bright, to the point where after a couple of hours the top end starts to grate.

THESTIG thank you! I was trying to find a shop that did them both but couldn't. There's a couple close by as I live in London so I'll go and see a demo confirms my above suspicions.

bemaniac thats good to know as I have no old speakers to hand in. That's the most tempting thing about the KEFs, They were around £360 in the shop which seems incredible value.

I never realised how much of a difficult decision this would be!

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the link nopiano, there are so many choices out there!

Now I'm tempted by the KEF Q500s as an alternative to the 300s on stands. Their frequency response goes lower, would they give me a lower bass in comparision to the Q300s despite the fact the woofers on them are smaller?

A

Anonymous

bobrenwick said:

Now I'm tempted by the KEF Q500s as an alternative to the 300s on stands. Their frequency response goes lower, would they give me a lower bass in comparision to the Q300s despite the fact the woofers on them are smaller?

as nopiano says give them both a go and see how you get on, i use the Q500's and love them :dance:

Let us know how you get on...

bobrenwick said:

You are welcome! Technically the 500s might measure lower, but that bears little resemblance to how they will perform in your room. Specs are usually generated in an anechoic chamber, nothing like your living room! The technicalities of cone size, cabinet volume, port design, and so on could fill a book. Try to hear both the Q300 and Q500 in a dealers, and ideally on sale-or-return at home.

Modestly priced floor-standers can be a mixed blessing. The new (November edition) mag has a great review of £500 floorstanders. Personally I'd always choose a stand-mount speaker at that price. But if the 'scale' of the sound appeals then go for it. Try to hear a couple of those in the review, then you will have a benchmark.

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
The 750 GBP are a lot to spend but if you want to keep your speakers as long as 10 years or longer that would be worth it.

My 20 year old speakers ES-11 blew away the Audio Physic Yara (German speaker) in comparison e.g., which is a rather much newer speaker which should have been very good.

I think none of all speakers here mentionend will be a match for the Epic-5, although i did not hear them. They are told to be the successor of mine.

My doubt about the Epic-5: it goes lower than mine 45 Hz to 60 Hz, but that could be just a (too) small difference.

The Epos is very musical and not fatigueing. If the "5" is to expensive for you listen to the "1" or "2".

I cannot advise you where to buy, because i live in Holland.

There are reviews of the "5" on "Techradar" and an Australian magazine (just some "googling" will help you to them). Both are rave-reviews!

Good luck!

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
If the Epos Epic 5's are as good as my Epos M22i's then I would say that they would compliment your M-CR603 very well indeed.

You might see whether Superfi have got any ex-demo M22i's still in stock like I did, and see whether you like the combination.

Now replaced by the Epic range, I picked up mine for considerably less than the RRP.

A

Anonymous

Sticking to your budget is quite difficult when there's so much temptation out.

I will have a listen to the Epic 5s as well to get a good comparison but I don't think I can stretch my budget out that far.

THESTIG how do you feel about the bass on your 500s? From what I can gather online its punchy but doesn't delve to low. Also I have read that the KEF Q series needs to be bi wired to get the best from them. Would biwiring make them much better? I suppose I'll have to ask for the 500 and 300s to be bi wired in the demo to know.

Thanks again for your replies

A

Anonymous

I went back to the shop and listened to the Q500s which I thought sounded brilliant and then i asked to compare them against the B&W 684s and ended up paying the extra £140 pounds for the 684s. They just sounded far more excited and lively in comparison to the Q500s.

Just set up the new system in my lounge and so far I'm very happy with it. Airplay makes streaming so easy its amazing.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts