Epos Elan 10 or Epic 2 to upgrade my M5 ?

Teo

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Still stuck with my Epos M5 and debating betweel Epic 2 and Elan 10 at same price ( roughly). I started my quest from a need for more bass , but some say Elan 10 are more detailed .Can't demo any of these.

Can anybody help ? Would I lose something choosing Epic 2?

Teo

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Rethep said:
Why not the Elan 15 which should have the extra bass and the extra detail ?! I think it is the same size as the Epic-2.

Allways the money ;) Of course that's the obvious solution :) Some professional reviewers and some owners say the Elan 10 bass is better than M5 and M5i (the specs too ) and I look for some confirmation from those who heard them. I am not a bass head , but I feel in the classical music that something is missing too much in the bottom with the M5 . My amp has a shight tendency to be bright sometimes .

Of course , it's allways possible to add a subwoofer and solve the bottom ( Warfedale SPC-8 would be the choice for my room and pocket )

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Nice choice Teo!

I briefly heard a pair of Elan 10's last year when visiting Doug Brady HiFi and very nice they sounded too, being driven by a Rega Brio. The Rosewood finish looked gorgeous as well. I don't think you'll be disappointed :) The Elan range has a superior finish to the Epic's, and when I chose my Elan 30's it was after various demo's against a range of Kef, Monitor, Totem, ProAc, and Rega speakers. It's a shame Epos speakers aren't more readily available.

Teo

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Thank you , gentlemen , indeed they are Rosewood 8) :grin: In my living ,wich is a bit crowded they'll fit better than a pair of floorstanders . The WAF is much superior in this way.

Teo

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
:cheers:They are on stands in my living !!!! I am waiting a few days for some impressions to gather .

Beautiful rosewood , indeed ! First quick listening 'clearly better soundstage , clearer detail and definition in the highs and a bigger sound but they are not broken in .

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Teo said:
:cheers:They are on stands in my living !!!! I am waiting a few days for some impressions to gather .

Beautiful rosewood , indeed ! First quick listening 'clearly better soundstage , clearer detail and definition in the highs and a bigger sound but they are not broken in .

I told you that you'd like them :grin:

Teo

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
:oops: Sorry ,dont manage to insert a photo here ...not used with this site format ....

What speaker cables do you suggest for Elan series ? For now I use a Real Cable OFC

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I've used the same speaker cable for the last 4 years, irrespective of brand of speaker ie. Van Damme Blue Series Studio Grade 2.5mm

Works for me, and doesn't cost a lot.

Teo

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
...also ,now my soundstage has depth also (that I hardly percieved with the M5s) ,now it's obvious the image of the different instruments and voices are ranged at various distances from me in the depth of the sound stage .I didn't heared that before .

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Sounds like you are a happy man Teo
smiley-smile.gif

As I say I only briefly heard a pair of Elan 10s in a dealers last year but was very impressed by the powerful performance from such a small speaker.

The Elan range really are a quality speaker. I used to have a pair of the older Epos M22i floorstanders. They were good but my Elan 30s wipe the floor with them.

Teo

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Elan 10 vs M5 :

-better detail and resolution in highs

-better bass response ,lower , seems a fuller , ampler sound like from a bigger speaker

-very good and detailed mids , of course , it's an Epos ! ...I think more detailed than the M5

-better soundstage , more profound , more precise and holografic , the sense of presence of being there is clearly better

-I think better transients , sharper and more precise sounds ,giving an airier sensation

-I can detect now new things on my records can watch more clearly various instruments

Clearly ,way better , and they are not burned in yet after 2-3 days :bounce: :dance: :cheers: :cheer:

On the other side , it seems that this combination Amp/speakers still keeps a preference for a more powerfull playback , the sound becomes more round and complete at 25-30% volume , when listening at low volume (10-15 %) the lows are more shy , the treble tend to be proeminent .

Let' s see how the things are going to open up more in the next days , maybe a week ? Until now I'm happy with the move I made : I invested a bit more than on the M5 s and received a clearly better pair of speakers . And the M5 are not bad at all !

.....It seems that this combination is stunningly transparent !!! Especially for the money. It shows what's on the record with precision and unforgiving : the Chariots of Fire CD sounded with unbelivable detail in the highs , but very restraint bottom . I played then Santana "Supernatural " CD : What a full ,complete , natural , beautiful equilibrated sound !!! ...allready from 15-18% volume !

....and these babies can punch !!! :O that I rather couldn't say about the M5s !

Teo

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Follow up...after half year ,for those interessed.

All that I've wrote remains. Wow speakers .

I detected that if on some recordings and with some sources maybe there was a bit of bass...shyness (anyway much much slimmer than the evident M5 shyness ),this was because of the source or/and recording. Very revealing and balanced speakers . A full,big ,transparent,airy sound.Still amazed of it!

Quantum88

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
I doubt the élan range would be as good as the older m series, it's made to a budget whereas the older m series was much more expensive. An élan floor stander might give you more bass but the quality might not be as good as the m5 in my opinion.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Quantum88 said:
I doubt the élan range would be as good as the older m series, it's made to a budget whereas the older m series was much more expensive. An élan floor stander might give you more bass but the quality might not be as good as the m5 in my opinion.

Well I used to have a pair of the M22i floorstanders, which were good, but I enjoy my Elan 30's more.

Have you actually heard any of the Elan range?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts