Epos AVS 5.1 - Speakers with 4 ohms impedance

cschuang

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Hi All,

I noticed the speakers (all) are with impedance of 4 ohms. What is the disadvantage of low impedance? Any recommended amp to drive these speakers? Or do I need a more powerful amp to drive the speakers at high volume?

Cheers.

CSC

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
In principle, 4 ohm speakers are more difficult to drive that 6 or 8 ohm speakers, but the sensitivity of a speaker also comes into play (the higher the sensitivity, the easier a speaker is to drive). Added to this, speakers rated at 6 or 8 ohms can, in reality, drop to 4 ohms or below, so the stated impedance of a speaker does not necessarily tell the whole story.

I had a similar problem when deciding whether to buy some Dali speakers for a 5.1 set up. The general advice is that you should be looking at receivers upward of £1000, with sufficient power and a decent heat-sink, if you want to drive 4 ohm speakers. You should also ensure the receiver is well ventilated to avoid problems from overheating. Beyond that, there's the potential problem with clipping when partnering lower-spec receivers with low impedance speakers

In short, partnering a low-to-mid budget receiver with 4 ohm speakers means potentially damaging either the receiver or speakers...

You don't state which receiver you own, but it's worth contacting the manufacturer to see what they say about this. If they say your receiver is OK to drive 4 ohm speakers and it has a lower impedance setting, then go with their advice.

I owm a Yamaha RX-V1065 receiver (a mid-range model) and I agonised over buying 4 ohm Dali speakers. I didn't in the end, because it didn't seem worth the risk, so I appreciate your dilemma!

I'm sure some other, more learned, forum member can advise you further on this, but hope that helps a little...

cschuang

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for your reply!

I'm looking for my first HT set up. Have not decided on the speakers package, have a few options in mind, have posted in my previous topic:

http://community.whathifi.com/forums/t/472876.aspx

I only intend to buy entry-mid range amp (ie Denon 1610/1910, Yamaha 565-765). The place that I auditioned Epos AVS 5.1 was using Denon 1909. They said 'no problem'. Seems to be ok when I heard them. Also, I read an article that lower ohm speakers need a thicker speaker cable to minimise 'losses'.

Anyone can advise?

Cheers.

CSC

A

Anonymous

cschuang:

Thanks for your reply!

I'm looking for my first HT set up. Have not decided on the speakers package, have a few options in mind, have posted in my previous topic:

http://community.whathifi.com/forums/t/472876.aspx

I only intend to buy entry-mid range amp (ie Denon 1610/1910, Yamaha 565-765). The place that I auditioned Epos AVS 5.1 was using Denon 1909. They said 'no problem'. Seems to be ok when I heard them. Also, I read an article that lower ohm speakers need a thicker speaker cable to minimise 'losses'.

Anyone can advise?

Cheers.

CSC

I was in the same position as yourself with my 4ohm speakers and never got a definitive answer

See if you can download the manual for the receiver you are considering to buy to see if the load is selectable

My Yamaha Z7 has the option to select 8 or 6ohm speakers , but a review I read advised against 6ohm and suggested keeping it at 8 ohms which I have done.

As already suggested you may need a powerful amp to drive the speakers , in my case I have been advised that the Yamaha Z11 is a better match for mine, so you need to do some research and may get some more recommendations here.

As for speaker cable you are correct that thicker cable gives less resistance , I use and suggest 4mm cable especially for long runs such as surround duties

A

Anonymous

4 ohm speakers will draw twice the current from your amplifier as 8 ohm speakers. Some amplifiers will cope with this and some won't perform as well and it's hard to know which. Some amplifier have a switch or special detections circuitry to cope e.g. I believe NAD amplifiers have circuitry that adjusts to the connected load.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts