Empire Direct - what a disaster

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
[EDITED BY MODS 19/1/09 - EMPIRE DIRECT HAS JUST GONE INTO ADMINISTRATION - FULL DETAILS IN OUR NEWS SECTION] 

Is anyone else having a really bad time dealing with Empire Direct? I've placed two orders with them in the last couple of weeks and have had to cancel both because of lack of availability of stock (despite their website claiming that the items were in stock).

My concern is that now at 3pm on a Monday afternoon their phoneline goes to an automatic answerphone stating that the offices are closed and will be open between 9am and 5pm!! This is obviously slightly confusing and adds to my concerns because on their website they return dead links if I go to my basket or try to investigate a historical order. Have they gone bankrupt or is this business as usual for them?

All I want to do is buy the new Toshiba 40" picture frame HD telly, but I guess that you get the service you deserve when you pay the lowest price!

A

Anonymous

They are not going bust. Their service is just awful. I've got my TV finally being delivered on Wednesday.

Given the choice of saving myself £400, against the high street price, I'm happy to wait.

matthewpiano

You pays your money and you takes your choice. Smaller retailers nearly always offer better service, but the larger ones like Empire can offer the more competitive prices.

At this time of year, it is VERY VERY difficult to secure stock from the manufacturers and a large retailer like Empire can't always get stock levels right. Its a prediction that the company's stock buyers have to make as to which models will sell the most. Sometimes they get it wrong. Where Empire clearly need to improve their service is in terms of communication and the online stock indications.

A

Anonymous

Sorry - you guys must have just been unlucky with ED.

I was in the same boat with Dixons. Ordered a Panasonic LXD70 a couple of weeks ago then, on the morning of delivery, their courier called to say they had the wrong model and the correct one was not in stock.

I told Dixons where to stick it and checked around to find who else had the model.

ED had it (£20 cheaper!) so I order at half past midnight last Wed/Thursday morning. The TV came at 2.30 this afternoon. This was after acknowledgement and confirmation e-mails. Two business days from order to delivery!!

Truly I couldn't have been more impressed - especially after the Dixons fiasco. First time I have used ED but only complaint was time slot was all day. 9/10 from me! Actually 10/10 'cos the missus stayed in instead.....

A

Anonymous

My experience with ED has been very good, I suppose it comes down to expectations.

I've had my Panasonic 37" plasma on order with them since 27 Nov. My understanding is that the CAB version is very supply constrained at the moment.

During this time I've had 4 courtesy calls from them explaining the situation. On the second call they offered my the 42" CAB version for the same cost (£826 inc 5 year warranty). Unfortunately my room (and wife) will not go for it :) So, I'm sitting tight until January.

For an internet based supplier to proactively call their customers with updates is unheard of in my experience. I would be happy to recommend them.

A

Anonymous

Think you might be in the poop mate. Spoke to them on Friday and there ain't anymore Panasonic 37" plasma's on there way to Empire. I've taken the 42" option.

A

Anonymous

Interesting. They rang me yesterday and said there were....

A

Anonymous

So can anyone on these forums tell us whether the Panasonic TH37PX70 model will soon be discontinued?

Will this create any problems for existing owners and people (like me) who are buying one at the moment?

I really am starting to consider taking the 42" cab version since the 37" cab model is taking ages to come into stock, although it probably is a little big for our room....

matthewpiano

I only sell Sony so can only summise from my experience with that brand, but I suspect that Panasonic are not much different. IF the TH37PX70 is being discontinued, and they are struggling for stock already, you my find that its almost impossible to get hold of. When stocks get so low all round manufacturers tend to work on an allocation basis so that any available stock is shared proportionately around dealers with back orders for the product. It is likely that Panasonic UK themselves don't even have guaranteed dates/quantities and that they, and the dealer in question, is as much in the dark as you. A simple call by Empire Direct to Panasonic's UK sales department would almost certainly confirm whether this is the current situation and would be a matter of courtesy to you as a customer awaiting delivery. They should then give you a choice as to whether you wish to proceed, cancel, or switch to another product which is more freely available.
Alternatively you may find that the product is not being discontinued and that this is just a error in judging supply and demand on the part of PAnasonic's UK operation. We had a similar situation with the 46W2000 in August/September when we had two back orders and Sony had no idea when they could be supplied. Keeping the customers in the picture meant that they were happy to wait for the TV they wanted and after some few weeks, Sony came up with the goods. Suddenly we then found ourselves with several stock units to sell as well! Clearly, though, that was a last flood because although it isnt officially discontinued until the end of December, the W2000 is now completely unavailable (although the special T3500 model is actually a W2000 in a different casing).

northantsbloke34

Aug 19, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="alberto17"]
So can anyone on these forums tell us whether the Panasonic TH37PX70 model will soon be discontinued?

Will this create any problems for existing owners and people (like me) who are buying one at the moment?

I really am starting to consider taking the 42" cab version since the 37" cab model is taking ages to come into stock, although it probably is a little big for our room....

[/quote]

How big is your room?

i have 42" cab version and its fine. our room is only about 12' x13'. we sit about 11' from screen which is no problen

A

Anonymous

Our room is sort of open plan.The area that can effectively used for spacing couches, tv etc. would be:

11' 10" x 11' 6"

Which means we'll probably end up about 9' - 10' from the telly

A

Anonymous

Stop tempting me!!
emotion-5.gif

So Andrew, you dont think that the 42 would be a step down i.t.o. picture quality when were likely to be 9' from the tv?

I've never owned a LCD or Plasma before so its hard for me to know whether I'm there is any material difference when sitting 9' from a 37" and 42" that have almost the same resolutions.

btw, thanks for all of the comments on this topic so far... nice to hear from others sitting in the same boat
emotion-1.gif

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="alberto17"]So Andrew, you dont think that the 42 would be a step down i.t.o. picture quality when were likely to be 9' from the tv?[/quote]

No, it'll be absolutely fine.

A

Anonymous

I sit approx 3.5 m from the screen and yesterday ordered a 47" PhilipsPFL96. Hope I didnt get too greedy! BUT the point of this post is....I ordered it from ED. Reading these posts has left me a bit worried as havent yet received a confirmatory e mail from them after over 24 hrs though my payment has cleared. There seem to be mixed reviews on their service quality so I live in hope that I caught them in a good mood!

A

Anonymous

congrats, that sounds like a nice piece of tv you just bought !

I dont think you should get too worried regarding your order. If they've got your tv in stock you will most likely face no problems at all ( i havent bought anything from them previously, but one or two people on this forum had good words).

The main problem so far is with the Panasonic TH37PX70 CAB which they most certainly have not got in stock. BTW: can anyone confirm this: if they have the TH37PX70 tv in stock without the stand... are they only waiting for the stand to come in stock... or is there a specific version of the television that fits on the stand?

In any case, swaps, let us know what happens - i think they will give you a call within two 2 days to tell you whether they've got it and ask when can they deliver. Or, and let's hope this is not the case, they will tell you that the tv is not in stock and most likely say: It will be in stock in 7-10 days.

Good luck !

A

Anonymous

Hi again.

I decided to cancel my EmpireDirect order today. My order was the TH37PX70 CAB with 5yr warranty through buying the edXtra membership. Got all this for £827 in November.

After reading some interesting thoughts on another forum regarding the warranty and conditions of edXtra Membership I decided that I'm rather buying at John Lewis and get a no hassle, no strings attached 5 year warranty. Here is the extract:

If you click here you'll see edXtra membership Terms and Conditions then look at term #2 which states:
"Membership is renewable on an annual basis. Administration fee applies."

Then go down and look at #9 which states:
"Exclusive member benefits can only be redeemed with valid membership. Membership will be verified with the original transaction. Please keep the original receipt in a safe place as you may be required to refer to this for future transactions."

So basically, you can't buy the TV and pay the 30 quid membership then not renew after 12 months, and still think that you'll be covered if the TV goes wrong, because if it does they'll say "Sorry, you are not currently a member. Look at section 9 of our T&Cs. Bye."

It does ring true to my mind. When I placed my order in November the membership was £20 quid, its now already £30 quid. Having to renew that for 4 years just to keep on to the warranty means a minimum of £120 extra after your original order - and thats if it stays level for 4 years.

I went for the £699 TH37PX70 from John Lewis, phoned up the Kingston branch and they are delivering it next Saturday. I've ordered the PX60 stand from eBay for £55. I now have 28 days to find a cheaper 37PX70 set and I will be refunded the difference between the £699 and the cheaper set as well. (Be sure to either phone a JL branch or go to a branch in order to be able to do this refund deal, dont order online).

So all in all I feel this is a good deal for now. Whenever the proper PX70 black cabinet is in stock (hopefully a bit cheaper than it is currently, maybe even in clearance sales, I might buy it then).

Keep us updated on the pending orders...

P.S. Thanks for the 42" PX70 advice Andrew, but me (and the fiancee) eventually decided the 37 should do for now.

A

Anonymous

I saw that post regarding the 5 year warranty on another forum. IMO he's wrong. You only need to be a EDextra member to activate the 5 yr warranty, once you have done so that's it you're covered. It's not continually necessary to renew your memebership for the warranty to be renewed.

A

Anonymous

It might just as well be as you say, that you only need to activate it once. But knowing the corporate world and someof its workings I wont be surprised if it isnt.

Good luck with this one, keep us updated

A

Anonymous

John Lewis delivered my TH37PX70 last Saturday and I want to thank all the comments and reviews on this forum.

The quality of the Freeview channels are brilliant - even the FA Cup on BBC.

DVD's via RGB and component look amazing.

I can recommend this TV to all.

A

Anonymous

Hi - further to my previous post, I have cancelled my order with ED for my Philips 47PFL96. Its a long story so wont go into it here. Have left detailed feedback on pricerunner. Bottomline - terrible experience, poor customer service, dont keep commitments, dont understand the concept of "communication". Dont think I will ever go down the ED route again. Switched to Dabs as they just got the Samsung LE46F86 (my second option) in stock. Completely different experience. All went thru and TV arrived in 2 days!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts