emigration options for taking my music with me

mikeinbrum

Oct 22, 2008
Visit site
I'm accepting a 2 year posting away from the UK in Qatar....seems like a pretty good time to take a break from Europe with the current doom mongering and economic gnashing of teeth. I want to, inasfar as is practically possible, take my music collection with me!

So I've invested in a 'mybook' NAS which I am loading up with my CD / MP3 collection etc. That takes care of the music library. I am also going to pack a few of my SONOS boxes to take advantage of the wireless ability & controller / interface & Napster access.

My speakers and remaining system are too big to take with me being a pair of Epos M16 floorstanders & ARCAM FMJ seperates so what are the options for replacement...

I am very interested in the AVI ADM9.1 solution, and was wondering whether WHF have had a pair to test yet (I ploughed my way through the locked thread on the subject- has there been progress since?)

What are the alternatives? I don't want to take lots of boxes with me If I can avoid it which is why the AVI solution seems to be so elegant.

A

Anonymous

It depends.

If he has the ZP80 or 90 then the performance will be lifted by the DAC within the speakers.

Your idea of putting all of the music on the external drive is a sound one. Maybe make an exact duplicate to a second drive too in case the first one breaks and you're left abroad without music.

Basically any laptop with any active speaker is going to be the neatest solution.

I have even seen somebody somewhere on the internet with a flight case for when he takes those AVIs abroad!

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:Ah ok, so active speakers are an option. I like the look of the Dynaudio MC15. Cheaper than the AVIs, though smaller and DACless.

...nor a remote-controlled pre-amp...

If you're in Brum Five-Ways HiFi is into computer audio. I know he does a mix of pro audio but domestic too. Brands like Edirol etc

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:But the Sonos has volume control, presumably?

Indeed, but surely it would be better to obtain a fixed output and use the volume control of a HiFi source?

If the Sonos has a digital volume control, for example, my understanding is that it will only be bit perfect at max volume! Any reduction in volume is removal of bits.

I cannot be certain that though, so somebody technical at the mag may feel it better to explain and remove the above if it is incorrect.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts