elex-r or roksan k2 bt

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I am thinking of upgrading my integrated amp to use with my current set up. Which out of these two amps do you think would be best for me?

I listen to all genres of music, but I feel I am currently being let down with the sound of my setup. I feel the overall sound is too light, or high pitched, or that these frequencies are what dominate the sound signature. I am currently listening to kate bush's 50 words for snow on cd and it sounds fantastic, and no real compliants, but on many other recordings including the 2011 remaster of pink floyds dsotm, sound light weight, and dont provide the energy and excitement that they probably should. In these situations the sound sounds like a poor reproduction of what I am sure the sound engineers were trying to convey. I feel a more natural sound would have much more emphasis on the lower midrange and bass.

So, I am at a stage where I feel some my music possibly deserves something more. So I am between these two amps as I feel I need more power. I also feel a little more sepration of instruments would add a bit more clarity. The uncoloured sound of the rega is one of the delights of my setup, and I dont want to lose this. As is the sweet tone, but I have no idea what creates this.

The great reviews of the K2bt are what draw me and I feel the large power output would make driving my 4 ohm speakers a non issue, and I am thinking I would probably hear a pretty authentic representaion of what the sound producers would like me to (ie:more bass weight and lower midrange a more full bodied sound) but I may be wrong?

And then the elex-r may provide the extra grunt that I possibly need. But I am a little concerened by whf's reveiw which states that it is slightly on the lean side. I feel this may be the sound I am trying to get away from, but Im not sure.

Id be very interested to hear present owners of these integrads and their veiws on the SQ's. What is the difference in sound from the brio-r and the elex-r for example?

I understand I need to audtion , but thought I'd get some people opinions first, as Im here! :)

Thanks, and a Happy New Year people

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site

I did find the Brio R to become a bit bright when pushed and I don't think the Dyns are ideal for it. I heard the RK Kandy K2 with various speakers, I thought it did lack some clarity maybe the extra bass was masking it. I have not heard the Elex-R but yes worth trying. Other amps to try are Creek 50A and Croft Int. not sure how they would drive your Dyns though. Another thought have you considered changing the speakers? Speakers will change the sound more than amps. I would try Kef R300s for a start.

Mikejekel

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

i had the same feeling when i used the brio r with dynaudio x12. After trying the Arcam A28 i am now totally happy with the exposure 2010s. I think the new 2010s2 is in the same pricerange as elex-r. Might be worth an audition.

mike

pyrrhon

May 9, 2013
Visit site
I think you should listen to the 5si too especiallly If you detect a litlle edginess in the elex. Dont about the roksan but its phono stage have been said to be poor.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
BigH said:

I did find the Brio R to become a bit bright when pushed and I don't think the Dyns are ideal for it. I heard the RK Kandy K2 with various speakers, I thought it did lack some clarity maybe the extra bass was masking it. I have not heard the Elex-R but yes worth trying. Other amps to try are Creek 50A and Croft Int. not sure how they would drive your Dyns though. Another thought have you considered changing the speakers? Speakers will change the sound more than amps. I would try Kef R300s for a start.

Hi BigH,

thats a fine set of speakers you have suggested. I really don't have that much money to spend at the moment, and im sure it's the amp i would need to upgrade first. It's hard to notice as the bass is there on many recordings, but after a year with the brio-r I have noticed on other recordings the sound is too lean, and some drums arent as tight as they should be. I am very happy with the current setup, but I know its not perfect and so have developed a case of upgraditis.

Those speakers do look superb though, and would be on the list for if and and when I ever was to upgrade my speakers, after the amp, and after a lottery win. I also like the look of the dali rubicon 2's.

Oh, and I have a small room and listen at reasonably low levels. Never above 9-10oclock if Im in the same room. Usually jut below 9.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
pyrrhon said:
I think you should listen to the 5si too especiallly If you detect a litlle edginess in the elex. Dont about the roksan but its phono stage have been said to be poor.

Thanks for the idea, I guess it should be on my audition list, although have been put off naim for some reason due to various negative comments on forums (are they supposed to be quite analytical and not much bass?).

I don't have a vinyl collection anymore, and I'm pretty certain I will never be going back to that format. I have faith and belief in the digital.

TRENDING THREADS