electrocompaniet and focal?

stpierre76

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
hi all,

just wondering if electrocompaniet and focal usually go hand in hand.Focal electra 1007be tend to be a bit bright so need to calm them a little.I can t afford the eci5 mkii but can get the eci3 or the older eci5.your thoughts amd suggestions are always welcomed.Also considering the new roksan m2.not auditioned anything with speakers.I demoed the eci5mkii with some b&w 805d.very impressive.lower extension was amazing.Just before i tried the b&w 804d with the cyrus 8xpd and it sounded rather thin, but then the eci5mkii with the 805d and could not beleive the amount of bass even though speakers were smaller.

sincerely yours

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Why not just get hold of a dem unit and listen for yourself. Tis the only way to go really mate. While you are at it try to get hold of some Primare gear, that works pretty good with Focal.

Of course the other option is change speakers for a brand that dosnt loosen your fillings, or wear you out after ten minutes.

stpierre76

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
I indeed also tried the primare i30 and sounded pretty good.M keen to audition the new m2 from roksan.Ever listened to it.how would it go with focals?

I am an electrician and my van is so full of gear that to be honest m getting a bit fed up of rearranging things around to accommodate my speakers, dac and stands to go a audition amps...I know it s agolden rule of hifi to audition, but at the moment with the amount of work, kids and shuffling thiongs around,i get a bit impatient, hence me posting here to get some ideas...

cheers

A

Anonymous

I have a friend who has the ECI-3. It's a terrific amplifier, and, if I had the money, I'd get one like a shot. Full, deep, rich, detailed and neutral - fantastic!

However, I'd think it's a bit of overkill for your speakers, although it would be a good match with the more expensive B&W speakers.

stpierre76

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
Hi grottyash

Thanks for your interest and advice.However, m a bit jiltered you say that this amp will be of an overkill for the speakers.
emotion-2.gif

I did audition the b&w 805s but settled for the focal 1007be.other problem for me, i just discovered that the eci3 is a massive beast.won t fit onto my rack.need a new one if i go for the eci3..

stpierre76

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
thanks mate,

I am indeed happy with my focal 1007be.I did listen to the b&w and prefered the electra.ve got the special edition color(burgendy) and they not only sound amazing but look great.As for the amp, m still looking around.I will be buying the dac2 from wyred for sound and seriously thinking about getting the integrated amp(sti1000).it s a class d amp and it got some lovely reviews, but unable to audition.Being a class d i was told it would curve my speakers top end. to be honest m a little scared to go to a class d especially if i can t audition.On theother hand,there s the eci3 or a classe cap2100 second hand all for the same money.decision time..

happy new year anyhow.

sincerely yours

A

Anonymous

stpierre76:
Hi grottyash

Thanks for your interest and advice.However, m a bit jiltered you say that this amp will be of an overkill for the speakers.
emotion-2.gif

I did audition the b&w 805s but settled for the focal 1007be.other problem for me, i just discovered that the eci3 is a massive beast.won t fit onto my rack.need a new one if i go for the eci3..
Hi stpierre, don't be upset! The Electrcompaniet is a highend amp capable of driving the best, that's all.

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
How would you describe the Electrcompaniet sound, I have been looking for a Pre Power Combo to drive my 805s Need a home demo but the Audiolab 8200CDQ is currently my choich for DAC pre amp, was after a quality Balanced Power Amp to go with it and have seen a couple of these used, the Byrston also look nice but even used are probably pushing my budget.

A

Anonymous

Big, full, neutral yet detailed and with a clarity that enables you to focus on each instrument and hear what it is doing.

Not forward, nor with emphasised treble which might complement the Audiolab well. Don't think they go cheap, however.

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
They sound promising I have seen some older A100 I think 100W per Channel Dual Mono units for not bad prices think they origionally retailed at around £1500.

From reading I have the obvious choices Classe, Bryston but they may be too much, the Electrothingys sound good and ATC sounds like it may be worth looking at.

I am after want something that Is going to present the detail in the performance without bringing attention to itself I definatley dont want anything too forward, it will need plenty of current capability to keep the 805s in check, while they are the easiest of the range to drive they do drop below 4 Ohms. Oh and it needs Balanced inputs.

A

Anonymous

Replied to this earlier, but somehow the post went missing.

The problem is that if you do go down that road you're introducing a weak link into the system, namely the Audiolab acting as a pre-amp. You'll have power amplifiers capable of matching it with the best being driven by a component, good though it may be, which is several rungs below in class. Whether you choose Bryston or Electrocompaniet, I'd stick with the respective preamps from those companies. In the long run you'll be much, much better off.

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
CDQ when it is available is supposed to be something very special that should perform well above its price bracket, if you believe the limited reviews that there have been so far (I will see when I get a demo but have no reason to question that) I have been advised to look at used amps to get higher performance/£ and to get the best out of the CDQ, I need a DAC and Pre Amp. Also the the Electro-component I have seen is the same price as the cheapest audiolab power amp I would be daft not to be looking, bryston would be a bit of a stretch even used.

A

Anonymous

I'd be a little bit wary of those reviews, some of which may be no more than marketing.

Anyway, if it's possible to audition, I'd do that first.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts