focal mismatch or is it me???

stpierre76

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
Hi all, i now got some t cash to spend on quality speakers.I just came back form auditionong the focal 1007be at the end of a mc intosh integrated.They sounded a bit bright to me.Is that a mismatch or a characteristic of focals 1007be?How would they work with my with cyrus gear(pre xpd and xpower) .???I would love to also audiotion the accoustic energy ae1 mk3.any views on them and any matching the cyrus gear I know it s a matter of personal taste, but what generally wokrs well with cyrus? sincerely yours john

stpierre76:Hi all, i now got some t cash to spend on quality speakers.I just came back form auditionong the focal 1007be at the end of a mc intosh integrated.They sounded a bit bright to me.Is that a mismatch or a characteristic of focals 1007be?How would they work with my with cyrus gear(pre xpd and xpower) .???I would love to also audiotion the accoustic energy ae1 mk3.any views on them and any matching the cyrus gear I know it s a matter of personal taste, but what generally wokrs well with cyrus? sincerely yours john

Not heard your McIntosh, but Focal speakers generally err on the warmish side of neutral. The only way to be sure is to compare a different brand alongside the Focals.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
i have a pair of focal 908s in my back bedroom and what i would say about them is that they def major in the high frequencies and clarity stakes - very forward presentation - bit bass light - but very enjoyable listen

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I guess it's not you. I have profiles 918. Look nice but don't get them to sound good at my place (thin, sometimes nasty bright, bass shy). Always hoped that after the run-in period they would become better, but unfortunatiely not. I use Arcam A28/P38 combo. Also borrowed Primare I30 and Musical Fidelity M6. Didn't matter for the sound. If you don't like bright don't try MA either. Borrowed the GS60. Still sounded thin and bass shy. Maybe B&W is an option?

Regards

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm surprised if they sounded bright as the reply indicating Focal's err on the warm side is correct, though they are as neural as we've heard whilst still sounding warm rather than bright. Do you know if the pair you were demming were brand new out of the box or had they been run in? if they are a little bass light, you could go for the 1027Be as the baby floorstanders in the range, or alternatively the newer 1008Be which to my ears offer better soundstaging than the 1007s.

stpierre76

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
somebody told me noit to confuse bright with detail..And I think i may have to agree.I only got the focal 706 at the moment and may be the difference in quality has been seen by me as bright.I will try to audition them again.

Audio affair...I checked your website and you do sell a few good brands.I m also interested in the ae1 mk3.How do they compared to the focal 1007be??What about placem ent?being so small, does that mean they can fairly be placed near rear walls...

sincerely yours

A

Anonymous

I have the 706v's and I would say that they are detailed and clear. They have plenty of weight with the bass as well.

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
stpierre76:
somebody told me noit to confuse bright with detail..And I think i may have to agree.I only got the focal 706 at the moment and may be the difference in quality has been seen by me as bright.I will try to audition them again.

Audio affair...I checked your website and you do sell a few good brands.I m also interested in the ae1 mk3.How do they compared to the focal 1007be??What about placem ent?being so small, does that mean they can fairly be placed near rear walls...

sincerely yours

It's an interesting comparison - to my ears the AE1 MkIIIs are more mellow, slightly warmer and not quite as upfront as the 1007s. The AE1 MkIIIs are a little smaller and designed to be exceptional monitor speakers (which they are) with an incredibly flat frequency response. Its worth having a listen to fully appreciate the differences though for yourself
emotion-1.gif

stpierre76

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
would love to audition the ae1 mk3 but i can t.no dealers around.So if i decide to buy them it ll bne against all hifi rules, and buy blindly and on recommendation from others...I m wondering if you ever heard them at the end of cyrus gear???I am quite torn between those 2 speakers..I actually spoke to you over the phone on monday about purchasing a pair and shipping them to me.

kind regards john

A

Anonymous

Don't know if this helps, but I've always found Focal speakers a touch too forward and bright for my comfortable long-term listening. Detail doesn't mean bright by any means - Dynaudios are a case in point.

Where about are you based? Speakers really are the one component you must audition before purchase. It's worth spending a couple of hours travelling to avoid making a mistake.

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
stpierre76:
would love to audition the ae1 mk3 but i can t.no dealers around.So if i decide to buy them it ll bne against all hifi rules, and buy blindly and on recommendation from others...I m wondering if you ever heard them at the end of cyrus gear???I am quite torn between those 2 speakers..I actually spoke to you over the phone on monday about purchasing a pair and shipping them to me.

kind regards john

John, they are well suited to Cyrus equipment. Of all the stand mounters on the market about this price, these are the closest to what you'd call monitor reference speakers. They have been designed to offer a ruler flat frequency response like studio speakers and offer an impressively expansive sound that does give you the feeling of being there (subject to proper speaker stands and set-up of course). They require a little running in but should be a better match sonically all things considered.

A

Anonymous

Last year I had a demonstration of various Focal speakers on the end of an all Exposure system and must admint I found it far too "in your face". I also has AE1 speakers and although they were great speaker I needed a Krell 301 integreated to really get them to sing. My previous Nain 42.5 / 110 always seemed to be straining.

stpierre76

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
Zekezebra,

Thanks for your input.You r right about the focal they seemed a little too forward for me too.As for the ae1 mk3, it worries me a little about their sensitivity.May need 2 mono instead of my xpower as it s only 70w per channel.will have to investigate that.

TRENDING THREADS