kukulec

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
Today I bought an Elac 249.3 instead of the Elac FS 147. The most important difference is the more muscular sound with a bigger space and scale, not surprisingly. Lots of detail, openness, tense sound; highes are very special with jet speakers. Interestingly, the small 147 was not far behind, especially compared to the price and size differences (one is 15 kg, the other is 31 kg/speaker). The great thing about the big one is that it needs less power from the amplifier to produce great sound.

The issue in the future: I heard the FS 409 and the FS 507 and while they are a bit better, I honestly say 249.3 has 98% of their knowledge and has far better price/value ratio, so it would be very hard for me to get significantly better speakers. Oh, and the sub box can be forgotten here.

In total, for 2 years I have been saving for these speakers, and from Lorde Royals to Ozzy No More Tears and Vivaldi Four Seasons - Spring - I. Allegro it sounds very enjoyable.

insider9

Interesting, I've only heard one pair of Elac but they were most enjoyable. I like the JET tweeter. What's the amp you're using for them I22? I can only imagine how big soundstage you're getting.

kukulec

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
insider: Now I run it with CXA80, tomorrow it's the turn of i22. I'm still waiting for the Pro-ject dac box s2 to complete that setup. Then, the end of the year maybe I can order a Vertere Pulse X-mini from the UK. (There was a Primare i32 on the used market, but unfortunately I missed it.)

insider9

If the I22 is a good match you'll be in for a treat. I quite enjoyed it but it didn't really match with my speakers so moved it on. Will be interesting to hear what you think.

Oh and congrats by the way :)

kukulec

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
I'm a bit sad: my system with CXA80 is not that forgiving with bad recordings. Since noon I am using the i22: less sharpness (in good and bad way too), bit less dynamic, more precise bass. In total it is easier to listen on long term. However, the sound I get is coming from the Asus DG soundcard, which is very correct, but far from the CA dac, so here I expect a big improvement from the new dac.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts