Cambridge CXA80

kukulec

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
Guys, sorry that I open a topic for this, but my review has disappeared from the Cambridge CXA80 user review section. I don't know what's going on with this site, but I have almost always the same issues, deleted texts, chinese titles in the hi-fi forum, and in the settings, I got topic names in russian... A good admin team would be needed. So the text I saved is below.

Before buying it, I had the option to directly compare its sound in the same room with the same equipments against: Cambridge CXA60, Marantz PM8005, Primare i22. In other shop, I also heard the Vincent SV-500 (nice, precise sound, relaxing sound; not for agile musics), Marantz M-CR611 (omg, no way) and smaller amps. Priviously, I owned Pioneer A-30. So the test: we were four there. The Marantz PM8005 was clearly inferior, after 10 minutes we stopped listening it. Switching back and forth, the PM8005 lacked authority, dynamics, resolution and space. Even the CXA60 was better by far. The CXA60 provides similar sound to the CXA80, but its presentation is a bit lighter. For classical music and smaller speaker it could be great, however if you have a big room, the CXA80 is the way to go. The Primare i22 has a nice, relaxing sound, which is slightly more precise with a bit more resolution, especially in the high frequencies. Then why CXA80? It brings pure energy, with great resolution, strong bass, nice and not earpiercing highs. You can feel the 2*80 or 2*120 watts. We could immediately told in a blind test, when we heard the CXA80. You got the impression that you are on a concert in the first rows. I also tried the amp in the shop with a laptop to be sure, that I can use it as an external soundcard through USB. With the Vertere D-Fi I have recieved stunning results. Ingram Washington or Metallica? Doesn't matter, we were so impressed, that I bought that cable too. And the best thing: arriving home, switching on the CXA80, it gave the same sound (without running it) as in the shop in a completely different environment! I use it with Elac FS 147 via QED XT40 3 hours a day in avarage. After the Pioneer A-30 the sound quality has increased; full-bodied and clear. They are like new and much bigger speakers, I can now explore their full potentials, and again, it doesn't matter if I want to listen Vivaldi, Duke Ellington, Queen, or DJ Snake. Previously, I had issues with bass. Now it's there; turn it to 11 and you will not only hear but feel it too. The mid has nice resolution and the high is also very pleasant. The voice of Freddie Mercury is his, a violin is a violin, a contrabass is a contrabass, there is no fake/artificial sound. The music has a nice scale, 3d sound with lively presentation. Previously, I used ASUS DG sound card with QED QE5091 2 RCA - 1 Jack cable to the amplifier. Now, my amp works as an external sound card via USB, as the DAC is very good too, providing 24/192. I think I have arrived to the "truly satisfied camp" of Hi-Fi enthusiasts.

insider9

Thanks for going to all the effort of posting your thoughts. Auditioning is always the best way.

Interesting that you've dismissed Marantz after such a short time. I'll admit to cutting my Marantz demos short also. Probably half hour each. Not to my taste. I thought it was because they were budget models 5005 and 6005. Looks like the characteristics translate to higher models also. Which is not to say that they're as you say inferior in any way... just not to our taste.

kukulec

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
I read posts here for years, and I always thought I would buy a Marantz or a NAD. Initially, I planned to buy a Marantz PM600X with MA BX/Bronze 2. But I had to realize that this forum generates myths according to my ears. First is that standmount speakers have advantages. It is only true until there is a decent room size, where a really capable floorstander will be better in every possible way. Second is the cable thing, I do not want start this. Third is the hype of a few products: Marantz, Dali Zensor series, NAD came to my mind. I demoed Marantz PM5005/6004/6005/8005, M-CR510/610/611. These are correct Hi-Fi products, but they are overpriced. Usually, I prefer to write "different". Vincent is different, Primare is different, Accuphase is different. But Marantz is "inferior" compared to audiophile products.

I have read here several topics how great the 8005 is. So when I saw, that I could have bought a perfect used one for just 480-500 pounds, I was very happy, we went that week into the shop, I had the money with me to take it. However I was prepared, because I had heard the smaller Marantz-s mentioned above before this audiotion, and they were not good for me. So we turned on the 8005 and the CXA60. It is important that I brought my test cd, so I knew what to expect. And it was more than 10 minutes, but after a few notes we knew the story :) We did not have a clue which is which, but we always knew which presentation we prefered. The reason: with 8005 we felt the lack of space, narrow stage, missing airyness in highs and the bass was the same as the PM6005. I did not hear the musicians, only two boxes. The CXA60 did everything better. And after that I heard the CXA80, and all of us were smiling, that the big boy had arrived. I thanked the audition, and told that I would come back when I save up for the CXA80.

One is an avarage amplifier, which is successful due to the strong marketing, the EISA award, the nice reviews from people who not necessarily heard other brands before. And it had a 1000 pound ELAC to handle, premium grade cables and Isotek power supply system. Compared to this, Cambridge is an audiophile product. And CXA80 showed how great it is, when later I listened it with a 6400 euro ELAC. It could drive a difficult 3 ways speaker easily. The Marantz had difficulties with a much smaller 2 ways speaker. I heared Marantz with Dali, Quadral, Klipsch, Polk Audio, and even with Kef R900 speakers. Brought always the same sound.

Conclusion: forget the hype/ratings + audition is everything + give a chance to brands you have never considered before.

D

Deleted member 108165

Nice review *good*

Your ears, your opinions, which you very entitled to. My ears and my opinions differ from yours.

Different people like different things, if we didn't we'll all end up with the same kit.

kukulec

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
DougK said:
Nice review *good*

Your ears, your opinions, which you very entitled to. My ears and my opinions differ from yours.

Different people like different things, if we didn't we'll all end up with the same kit.

I would be happy to hear your opinion!

kukulec

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
If you like your amp, than you should not change. I remember matthewpiano was the master of changing small standmount speakers. He gave very nice rewiews. It is interesting that emit 10 did not work for you. For him dm 2/6 (which is the same) worked pretty well with weaker amp. Anyway, I follow your Mission Lx-2 project, hope you will enjoy it! If I cannot sell the Pioneer A-30, maybe I will do something similar for a second system.

gasolin

I like my Marantz PM8005, i don't know what to buy instead or what to trade it for if i don't want to spent extra money for a different amp, if i wanted a different amp (which i don't want)

Less than 12 hours i should have a pair of Mission LX-2 for better bass than my Q Acoustics 3020

Open clear sound with more power than i need, -10 db attenuator so i have a wider range to adjust the volume before it's loud and no 2 volt from my marantz cd5005 to give distortion, an input on a amp is not rated at such high voltage, alone that can give a slightly distorted sound

86-88db speakers, never had problems not being able to play loud enough, i have never been near the power limited of my amp = no distortion

Lot's of controll, i only use medium sized bookshelf speakers, have only tried a few speakers, Q acoustics 3020 (lack bass), Dynaudio emit M10 can handle alot of power not just 100watt peak power, very warm sound, deep bass, almost to much, lacking punch in the upper midrange lower treble, it's to soft, emit m10 needs an amp that has alot of power in the upper midrange,lower treble or else it can sound to soft

Nothing negative to say about the phono stage, it works very well, can easily handel a better cartridge than what i use

I don't need more power and the sound quality is above budget amps like onkyo a-9010,nad C326BEE, marantz PM6005,6006, so i see no reason to replace it

Just need to find the perfect speaker for me with the right size (not to big) and not to expensive, that have the right amount of bass and a non agressive, non screaming midrange,treble (so fare Q Acoustics 3020 only lacks a bit bass, other than that they are close to being the perfect budget speaker for me), it often takes me a few month to get to know the sound from my speakers, after this periode where they are new and where i give my opinion in alot of posts,thread and have this i have new hardware feeling, i have to get past this periode,than i start to hear cons and pros.

I can often return speakers with in 14, 30 or even in some cases 45 days, it just often take me more than 14/30/45 days to get to know the sound from the speakers to know if it's a speaker i like to keep for a long time

Wharfedale diamond 220 i tried 2 times, i don't like the dark sound, the strange sounding midrange and lack of bass, it's surpose to be good and with an advanced bass port, just feel it was lacking more bass than Q Acoustics 3020, even more than the 2010i's and returned them already after 1-2 days (the price on the diamond 220 are good)

gasolin

Unfortunally theres a delay on the delivery of the Mission LX-2 i paid for
sad_smile.gif

I have had a denon dra-109f for more than 1 year (plus a few active speaker including krk rookit powered 5 g 2 also for more than 1 year) marantz PM6005 that i had, had hum with a project essiential II and me wanting a more full bodied sound i got a Nad C326BEE, with the dynaudio's they sounded to soft, bought the cheapest Marantz PM5005 amp (remembered marantz had a more open sound) that helped and desided i what a bigger amp,more powerfull, more control, since i liked the sound of the Marantz PM5005 and dynaudios i wanted not the PM6005 again,not the PM7005 (nothing special compared to the PM6005) but the PM8005 it was possible for me to buy the Marantz PM8005,much better than everything i have use for the last 10 years old speakers+ nad amp i traide for a turntable i love (more true sound,morre analogic sound and a chance for me to buy the real record not a cd like dark side of the moon, not a remasterede 40 year newer version but the old original dark side of the moon made in 1973)

I don't have atm the money for big expensive speakers more bassy bookshelf speakers, but the only thing i miss from my Q Acoustics 3020 is bass (without using a subwoofer) and that is what im hoping for with the mission LX-2's, i do how ever feel in the budget speaker range the value for money is incredible, because theres a lot of competition, where the sound is more important than then the design since you can't always afford exotic design in a budget speaker if you want good sound where Q Acoustics,mission,boston acoustics,monitor audio,wharfedale is trying to make good sounding speakers to give people a good sound buying there first system on a low budget or second system, that makes me want to listen music and in the futture buy bigger speakers from the brand i love (which i did with Q Acoustics)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts