Elac Debut Reference DBR-62

16cores

Feb 19, 2022
Visit site
Can anyone recommend a class D or class AB amp to use with these speakers. Trying to spend no more than like 700usd if possible not sure if the actual difference between class d and ab is worth it with these, I can put them anywhere so size doesnt matter too much. Ill be using the speakers for nearfield still undecided between wharfedale evo 4.1 and these but these seem a bit better and cheaper.

16cores

Feb 19, 2022
Visit site
thanks. The Class of amplifier isn't going to make much difference but I think they need a good bit of power.
can you audition anything where you are?
Unfortunately not there arent any speakers I can try and likely not many amps. Thats the main reason im trying to do as much research as possible and make a good decision. Hopefully also buy from stores that will let me return it if its really bad for my setup.

Unfortunately not there arent any speakers I can try and likely not many amps. Thats the main reason im trying to do as much research as possible and make a good decision. Hopefully also buy from stores that will let me return it if its really bad for my setup.
ok. I would recommend something with 50wpc or more.
You are looking to buy new by the sound of it? Unfortunately I don't have any idea what you can get from stores in your area.

16cores

Feb 19, 2022
Visit site
ok. I would recommend something with 50wpc or more.
You are looking to buy new by the sound of it? Unfortunately I don't have any idea what you can get from stores in your area.
I can usually get most things via shipping within the country. Often theres a bit of a markup which is why i said 700usd at most for the class ab if that was going to be beneficial. Not really sure about if its considered good but the only class d ive really looked at with 50wpc is the smsl da-9.

I can usually get most things via shipping within the country. Often theres a bit of a markup which is why i said 700usd at most for the class ab if that was going to be beneficial. Not really sure about if its considered good but the only class d ive really looked at with 50wpc is the smsl da-9.
In my opinion it's best to buy from a local dealership rather than something you are going to have to ship back to China if it goes wrong... :)

16cores

Feb 19, 2022
Visit site
In my opinion it's best to buy from a local dealership rather than something you are going to have to ship back to China if it goes wrong... :)
I can look around yeah just not sure on specific models. If you think most 50wpc amps should be good then ill just look for everything i can find in that category

I can look around yeah just not sure on specific models. If you think most 50wpc amps should be good then ill just look for everything i can find in that category
good plan. For what it's worth no point In paying for one with an internal phono stage either if you never plan to use a turntable.
Have a look around and get back to us with a list of amps you can source within your country and I am sure we will be able to sort the most usable one for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 16cores

16cores

Feb 19, 2022
Visit site
good plan. For what it's worth no point In paying for one with an internal phono stage either if you never plan to use a turntable.
Have a look around and get back to us with a list of amps you can source within your country and I am sure we will be able to sort the most usable one for you.
Just came across a model called the Topping PA5 that I hadnt seen before. I can buy them local to me at the same store in person that I bought my other topping equipment and it seems to have good reviews at 2x65w into 8 ohm. The dbr62 are also 6 ohm so this might be the holy grail ive found. Idk how i didnt find it before.

Just came across a model called the Topping PA5 that I hadnt seen before. I can buy them local to me at the same store in person that I bought my other topping equipment and it seems to have good reviews at 2x65w into 8 ohm. The dbr62 are also 6 ohm so this might be the holy grail ive found. Idk how i didnt find it before.
Here’s a glowing review from a measurement focussed forum. Looks like it’s very well designed, as long as it offers the functions and facilities you require. KIV what they say about the unusual inputs, and lack of remote control, though maybe that’s not an issue with your Topping DAC?

16cores

Feb 19, 2022
Visit site
Here’s a glowing review from a measurement focussed forum. Looks like it’s very well designed, as long as it offers the functions and facilities you require. KIV what they say about the unusual inputs, and lack of remote control, though maybe that’s not an issue with your Topping DAC?

Thanks yeah that was how I found it, a few people in further pages mention pairing it with the same speakers. I have TRS pass through from my amp so Ill likely use that or just xlr to trs from my dac and rca to my amp but thats a worse solution.

EDIT: I also found the behringer a800, nad c 328 and dayton audio apa150 as 3 other options with the behiringer costing less than the topping and the nad costing more.

Last edited:

valkyrieorion

Sep 8, 2020
Visit site
I had these with a Yamaha WXA-50 and wasn't really impressed overall but the Yamaha amp did seem to power them enough. The speakers themselves were just kinda boring to me and my wife. I was using them nearfield primarily on my desk but it was also in a large room. For what it's worth I tried the Triangle BR03 and those speakers were a lot more engaging or fun I guess, and great imaging while gaming. The Triangles were a little to hot for me though as I had ringing headaches vs the Elac's. I think you could probably be ok with a NAD D3045 amp also for nearfield. Good luck!

robdmarsh

I think the Andrew Jones designed Elac speakers are great but I had the DBR62 for a bit and my former amplifier (Marantz m-cr603) was far too weedy for them. The thing is before upgrading the amplifier, I bought different speakers, my Triangle Titus EZ, and these sounded great with the Marantz but they also sewed an upgrade itch in me to get a better amp. I upgraded my amp to the Denon pma 800ne and for a time I had both the Triangles and the DBR62. The fact was that the Triangles had taught me to appreciate a very different sound to the Elacs and they sounded so good with the Denon that I knew I would end up selling the Elacs. I did try the debut reference with the Denon before I sold them, and they sounded fine but still not really "alive" to my ears and I much preferred the new livelier sound I had grown to love with the Titus EZ.

So maybe not a very helpful answer to your question, but my take is that the DBR62 need a lot of power to really sound their best, maybe 80 watts plus and an amp capable of delivering high current.

Reactions: Al ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts