EDIT: PICS ADDED. Help shortlisting floorstanders, DACs and power amps - £3000 to £4000 total

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Hello,

Will be upgradign this year with a set of new speakers, maybe a power amp (if required to match the speakers) and the whole streaming side of things (this one is yet to be decided).

I plan to start with speakers. Must sound perfect and look good (WAF...). So far two on the list: KEF XQ40 (or 30) and Sonus Faber Toy Tower. Need help with 2-3 more candidates.

The stereo part of the system will be: PC (or other streamer) - Chordette Gem - pre amp of the Teac AGH550 receiver (+ maybe a power amp).

Also, which power amps can I shortlist for up to £1000. Must drive the speakers really well. Heard Cyrrus monoblock, sounds great but over budget.

Would appreciate advice.

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
If i were you id buy either a new pair of ATC SCM40's(£2000) or a used pair of PMC IB1's(£1500-2500).

Then for the amp id spend more than £1000, more like £2000 and buy a used Krell FPB200, Chord or bryston power amp

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
AlmaataKZ:
Hello,

Will be upgradign this year with a set of new speakers, maybe a power amp (if required to match the speakers) and the whole streaming side of things (this one is yet to be decided).

I plan to start with speakers. Must sound perfect and look good (WAF...). So far two on the list: KEF XQ40 (or 30) and Sonus Faber Toy Tower. Need help with 2-3 more candidates.

The stereo part of the system will be: PC (or other streamer) - Chordette Gem - pre amp of the Teac AGH550 receiver (+ maybe a power amp).

Also, which power amps can I shortlist for up to £1000. Must drive the speakers really well. Heard Cyrrus monoblock, sounds great but over budget.

Would appreciate advice.

B&W XT8's :)

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
MattSPL:

If i were you id buy either a new pair of ATC SCM40's(£2000) or a used pair of PMC IB1's(£1500-2500).

Then for the amp id spend more than £1000, more like £2000 and buy a used Krell FPB200, Chord or bryston power amp

Thanks, mattspl, re power amps I am very much thinking in the same direction... I am very interested in Chords and brystons, but not very familiar with their ranges. Any particular models or spects you can recommend? never thought Krell can be within reach. I will look up the model you recommned...

re speakers - I have a lot of respect for ATCs, but they would not pass the WAF unfortunately. Need a compromise here. PMCs? I was not impressed with the OB1s when I heard them. was interested in PB1s, but they are out of budget. I also heard fact and found them very comparable with kef xq40, but significantly more expensive.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
ear:Please explain to this illiterate what WAF means

sorry, wife acceptance factor.

since it is her who is thinking of making such a present, I thought I woudl respect her opinion and try to accommodate her taste as well as mine.

oops, the Krell is $6500!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I can't help but feel that a power amp at this level would be wasted on the end of the TEAC receiver's preamp section.

I'd be looking at a DAC with a volume control, a passive volume control to use between the DAC and a power amp, or an integrated amplifier.

AlmaataKZ:

Hello,

Would appreciate advice.

Hi AlmaataKZ

You might also want to consider Dynaudio's excellent X32 speakers. For a power amp the superb NAD C275BEE which is the best power amp that i have heard to date up to £1k. Alternatively at a stretch ATC's P1 power amplifier.

Both of the power amps work well with the X32's however in due course also consider changing the Teac for a better pre amp.

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Andrew Everard:

I can't help but feel that a power amp at this level would be wasted on the end of the TEAC receiver's preamp section.

I'd be looking at a DAC with a volume control, a passive volume control to use between the DAC and a power amp, or an integrated amplifier.

hmmmm...scratching my head now...

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
TheHomeCinemaCentre:Have to agree. I would suggest improving the Teac as part of the process.

I agree myself, but have to go in steps here, the budget is limited.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
That may be but it might be a better plan to invest £1k in a good integrated amplifier and then £2k on speakers. You should get more sound for your cash. A pair of Kef XQ30's with say a Leema Pulse will out perform the XQ40's on the Teac.

I would take your Teac to a demonstration and hear for yourself .

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
AlmaataKZ:MattSPL:

Thanks, mattspl, re power amps I am very much thinking in the same direction... I am very interested in Chords and brystons, but not very familiar with their ranges. Any particular models or spects you can recommend? never thought Krell can be within reach. I will look up the model you recommned...

re speakers - I have a lot of respect for ATCs, but they would not pass the WAF unfortunately. Need a compromise here. PMCs? I was not impressed with the OB1s when I heard them. was interested in PB1s, but they are out of budget. I also heard fact and found them very comparable with kef xq40, but significantly more expensive.

The ATC scm 40 is no bigger than the PMC OB1. And in my opinion, the PMC range only becomes worthwhile From the EB1 upwards. The EB1 is the floorstanding replacement of the IB1. But i guess they wont pass the WAF because they are pretty huge.

As for the Krell FPB200, a used FPB200c(newer version of 200) just sold on ebay for a shade under £1500, but expect to pay £2000-£2500 in a shop. Amazing amplifier.

As for the Brystons and Chords, ive never heard them but they are Krell competitors, so its down to personal preferance and availability.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Andrew Everard:

so, what DAc woud have vol control? One is DacMagic. Fubar 4 does not seem to have one. does anyone know of other good candidates?

A

Anonymous

Referring to the OP. Your budget buys a wide range of speakers, all of which will have their own sonic character. To be able to provide meaningful advice as against the usual "I've got these, therefore you should.." type suggestions, it would be good to understand what sort of music you listen to and what sort of sound you like your records presented in?

Also I might add that the type of speaker that goes for £2-3k can be trickier to drive, and/ or needs a bit more quality and current from the power amp - your budget between speaker and power amp might be a little imbalanced?

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
AlmaataKZ:Andrew Everard:

so, what DAc woud have vol control? One is DacMagic. Fubar 4 does not seem to have one. does anyone know of other good candidates?

the dacmagic doesn't have a vol control. i think you should at least be looking at something like a benchmark dac, if you are planning on using with some pretty highend kit. try to see some atc's in the flesh, i think the scm40's look pretty good.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Sorry, I meant Beresford Cayman. Coudl not find any other yet. Benchmarks seem to have it all but are a bit pricey and I hope there are some that have a more subltle styling (I realise there may be none).

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
crimsondonkey:

Referring to the OP. Your budget buys a wide range of speakers, all of which will have their own sonic character. To be able to provide meaningful advice as against the usual "I've got these, therefore you should.." type suggestions, it would be good to understand what sort of music you listen to and what sort of sound you like your records presented in?

Also I might add that the type of speaker that goes for £2-3k can be trickier to drive, and/ or needs a bit more quality and current from the power amp - your budget between speaker and power amp might be a little imbalanced?

sure. re music: very wide range from jazz and classical to electronica and pop/rock. I tend to like warmer sound, dynamic, quick, where real instruments tembral colouring can be heard (if that is the right way to describe it), not too sharp. imageing shoudl be good as well.

agree re speaker driving, budget balance of cause can be optimised.

basshound

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
AlmaataKZ:Sorry, I meant Beresford Cayman.

You could get a Caiman or other Beresford and then have it modded at somewhere like Audio Upgrades for a cost effective way of getting a pretty good DAC

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Modded for what? additional controls e.g. remote or do you mean something for sound quality improvements? I thought it was already top notch for its price.

A

Anonymous

AlmaataKZ:sure. re music: very wide range from jazz and classical to electronica and pop/rock. I tend to like warmer sound, dynamic, quick, where real instruments tembral colouring can be heard (if that is the right way to describe it), not too sharp. imageing shoudl be good as well.
agree re speaker driving, budget balance of cause can be optimised.

I tend to think Spendor or Sonus Faber might suit if you prefer warmer presentation. However warmer and quick don't tend to be found in equal measures in the same speakers!

A

Anonymous

judging by your musical tastes and what you are wanting your music to present you may also want to consider valve amps,they can give you what you are looking for,though speaker matching can then be a problem and the ability to be driven,valve based equipment(well some that i have heard) can deliver the sound you are describing,that may have thrown a spanner in the works! sorry.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts