Ecosse-Atlas-Kimber-AudioQuest

L00k_C

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
I know that most of you would argue that speaker wires do not make a big difference in the setup. But if you were to buy a set of speaker wires which one would you choose:

1. Ecosse MS 2.4

2. Ecosse MS 2.3

3. ATLAS HYPER 2.0

4. KIMBER 8TC

5. Audioquest FLX-SLIP

6. Other(please specify)

Source: Harman Kardon HD990

Integrated amp: Harkman Kardon HK990

Speakers: JBL L890

Length of wires 2.50 max

p:s: amp has 4 outups (2+ R/2-R & 2+L/2-L) for each speaker and speker has four inputs. So I would like to bi-wiring them 4to4. is it wise as well?

Thanks

L00k_C

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
I'd look at Atlas Hyper or TQ Blue. I wouldn't bi-wire, but replace the links with the wire you are using.

:doh: You mean extend the bare wire or banana to get both negative inputs of the speaker? :doh:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
L00k_C said:
CnoEvil said:
I'd look at Atlas Hyper or TQ Blue. I wouldn't bi-wire, but replace the links with the wire you are using.

:doh: You mean extend the bare wire or banana to get both negative inputs of the speaker? :doh:

If you have speakers that are suitable for bi-wiring/ampimg, they will have shorting links or plates, to allow single wiring. IMO. It is this that is worth replacing with a short length of the same S/C that you are using......though some don't agree that it makes any difference.

My problem with bi-wiring, is that I believe you will get a bigger benefit by putting the extra cost to a better single wired S/C.

L00k_C

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
L00k_C said:
CnoEvil said:

If you have speakers that are suitable for bi-wiring/ampimg, they will have shorting links or plates, to allow single wiring. IMO. It is this that is worth replacing with a short length of the same S/C that you are using......though some don't agree that it makes any difference.

My problem with bi-wiring, is that I believe you will get a bigger benefit by putting the extra cost to a better single wired S/C.

I see. Thanks Point taken

abacus

If you believe speaker cables affect sound quality then use what professional studios use http://www.van-damme.com/ and forget about the cables that Hi Fi cable manufactures try and fob you off with.

Links or cable makes no difference as the terminals are so close together even bell wire would be fine.

Hope this helps

Bill

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
abacus said:
If you believe speaker cables affect sound quality then use what professional studios use http://www.van-damme.com/ and forget about the cables that Hi Fi cable manufactures try and fob you off with.

Links or cable makes no difference as the terminals are so close together even bell wire would be fine.

Hope this helps

Bill

+1, use pro cable rather than overpriced "hifi" cable.

L00k_C

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Forgive me for asking but isn't it better to use bare wire at both amp & speaker terminal as there will be more surface of contact versus a spade/banana termination. i.e several individual wire connections

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
L00k_C said:
Forgive me for asking but isn't it better to use bare wire at both amp & speaker terminal as there will be more surface of contact versus a spade/banana termination. i.e several individual wire connections

I use plugs for handiness and they stop corrosion / prevent stray wires causing problems (as mentioned by Rick today, when answering a similar question).

L00k_C

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
L00k_C said:

I use plugs for handiness and they stop corrosion / prevent stray wires causing problems (as mentioned by Rick today, when answering a similar question).

but corrosion can be avoided by factory terminated cables NOT DIY ones, right?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
L00k_C said:
but corrosion can be avoided by factory terminated cables NOT DIY ones, right?

Yes; but you can terminate your own DIY cable if handy.....or get your dealer to do it.......either way, it's not worth worrying about.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
I've just upgraded the Premark coat hangers in my system for Harrods ones and it's improved the soundstage no end.

What's the best way to terminate a coat hanger, and do Harrod's ones come already terminated? :twisted: :p

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
steve_1979 said:
I've just upgraded the Premark coat hangers in my system for Harrods ones and it's improved the soundstage no end.

What's the best way to terminate a coat hanger, and do Harrod's ones come already terminated? :twisted: :p

I use solid gold banana plugs. Silver is a better conductor but it lacks the necessary 'bling' factor.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
steve_1979 said:
I use solid gold banana plugs. Silver is a better conductor but it lacks the necessary 'bling' factor.

.......but that flies in the face of your 99% rule! :O

But I thought that WHF recommends you should spend 10% of the overall budget on the hifi and the rest should be used for cables and interconnects.

Oh wait a minute. I was supposed to be the other way round wasn't it. :doh:

I better get a refund on those Harrods coat hanges and put the plastic Premark ones back in place. :shifty:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
CnoEvil said:
steve_1979 said:

.......but that flies in the face of your 99% rule! :O

But I thought that WHF recommends you should spend 10% of the overall budget on the hifi and the rest should be used for cables and interconnects.

Oh wait a minute. I was supposed to be the other way round wasn't it. :doh:

I better get a refund on those Harrods coat hanges and put the plastic Premark ones back in place. :shifty:

You go round in circles faster than a one legged duck!

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
steve_1979 said:

The best way to terminate a coat hanger? With extreme prejudice.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:
CnoEvil said:
steve_1979 said:

The best way to terminate a coat hanger? With extreme prejudice.

.....and there's me thinking that hanging would be sufficient. :help:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts