Speaker Cables for B&W 683 with Arcam A19...

atishaysingh

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I need some expert reveiw on cables. I am not too sure about the tonal characterstics of my speakers. But Arcam is certainly a bit relaxed. I am looking out for good speaker cables. I mean i am ready to invest about 15 pounds a metre.

I live in india so i do not have liberty of all brands and specific models. i was on a hunt for some time for the below three cables.

Atlas hyper 2.0

QED Signature revelation as now there is no genesis revelation.

Audioquest Flx Slip 14/4

I have only managed to get QED signature revelation for rest two i have to get them through a friend staying abroad.

1.Kindly suggest which is the best of the three.

2.How much running in time the QED takes as the reveiw says long running in time. how much is long ???

3.Also recommend some class leading cables for the Arcam A19 amp with B&W 683 Speakers.

Thanks in advance...

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I don't think there necessarily is a "best of the 3"

If they are all copper cable of a similar thickness there won't be that much difference in the sound, so any differences will come down to personal preference/matching with your kit.

If the 683s are anything like the 685s, the treble can get slightly flinty at times, but as long as you avoid anything bright you should be fine.

It is highly debatable whether running in time exists for cables, but even if it does, what difference will it make to you? When burning things in I just use it and enjoy the music, and any improvement (or my ears getting used to the sound) is enjoyed as they come.

I'd go with whatever is easily available locally, especially if you have the option to take it back.

You could also consider cable like

http://www.van-damme.com/25.html

or

http://www.van-damme.com/23.html

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
See if your dealer has a few lengths of different cable for you to try so that you can hear them for yourself, and decide their value, and if you feel they are worth investing in.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
As someone with Arcam kit and B&W speakers, who also had QED SIlver Anniversary for some time, I urge you to try the Hyper 2.

Don't be put off by the RRP per metre. I got a 3 metre pair, factory terminated with Atlas Z plugs for £50 off eBay, not once but twice. If you're patient you should find some turn up before long and at that price you'll get your money back should you wish to sell on in future.

atishaysingh

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Hi Chris,

So the revelation wont be a good choice over Atlas hyper. My problem is i am not finding it in india. Lets see... but i asume that you are much more experienced in this regard. I will keep your suggestion in mind. Kindlt helo me with links also put some light over this cable war. Would love to ask what should be the run in time for my B & W 683...

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Never heard the QED Revelation, but as I wanted a change from the Silver Anniversary I took a punt on the Atlas and I'm much happier.

QED cables tend to have a reputation of being on the brighter side of neutral. My own experience with the Silver Anniversary backed this up. The Atlas cable is still detailed, but it's more natural/ neutral. Not too tinny, not too bassy. Even handed in all regards. A fine cable in my opinion and it's not going anywhere!...... Unless some Hyper 3 turns up at a good price. ;)

AntonTV.HD

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
This Is my experience Atlas Hyper 3 with B&W Cm1 loved it for a year, did a revamp in my living room so needed longer lengths opted to go cheaper Van Damme Hi-FI 2.5mm for the tweeters 4.0mm for the bass. the soundstage is now on a different level. wider deeper much more separated. while the atlas hyper was a great cable for a 1/4 of the price you can get better. but a little heads up to get the best from the speaker cable make sure you match the interconnects.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Big Chris said:
As someone with Arcam kit and B&W speakers, who also had QED SIlver Anniversary for some time, I urge you to try the Hyper 2.

Don't be put off by the RRP per metre. I got a 3 metre pair, factory terminated with Atlas Z plugs for £50 off eBay, not once but twice. If you're patient you should find some turn up before long and at that price you'll get your money back should you wish to sell on in future.

I've actually had the Atlas Hyper 3 and the Revolution, and in fact the Silver Anniversary (with Arcam). The latter was lightweight and too bright. Both the Atlas and the Revelation are much better and I would be hard pressed to choose between them, if I absolutely had to, I would go for the Revelation.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Another vote for the QED Revelation here too but also take into consideration the Chord Odyssey 2 and Tellurium Blue speaker cables

All 3 will do the job very well indeed and you can usually find them 2nd hand easy enough on eBay or other well known hifi forums :)

abacus

Pop down to your local professional music store and get what the professionals use, they will also be able to give you the professional advice that is way beyond most Hi Fi Dealers. (Or Hi Fi Nuts (Including golden eared ones) for that matter)

Remember, professional studio equipment makes most Hi Fi look like a wind up gramophone, so the cables recommended will be all that is needed to get the best out of the equipment used in a domestic environment. (You will usually find the professional’s cable is also cheaper due to no fancy packaging or advertising)

Hope this helps

Bill

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts