eBay Shipping Advice

John Duncan

If you were using an insured courier and had been paid by Paypal, would you offer to ship something valuable to Europe (eg Czech Republic, Slovakia, Poland)? Anybody done it and had bad experiences?

A

Anonymous

There will be no problems, as long as you ship via recorded mail and through a reputable courier such as DHL or Interlink

the best that we have used, is www.parcel2go.com ... you can book online and pay via paypal or credit card ... they will collect from your home or place of work

make sure that the item is securely packed ... if it is an electonic item such as an amp or cdp, buy one of those large plastic lidded tubs (they cost less than £10) ... use loads of bubblewrap and polystrene chips (if you dont have polystrene chips, wrap the item in an old thick blanket and make sure that it is tightly packed (does not rattle around)

insure the item for the sold cost, plus the cost of shipping

you will get a tracking number, and the recepient has to sign for the item ... make sure that you also have the serial number of the item

takes 2-3 working days .... my wife ships worldwide, only countries where we have had problems were Italy and South Africa (items get 'lost'), but insurance pays out if there are probs

A

Anonymous

ebay/paypal will protect you if the buyer is trying to scam you ... only time to be worried is when the buyer wants to send a cheque, western union or moneygram ...

A

Anonymous

this from a forum on ebay:

Basically the problem with allowing the buyer to use their own courier is that you will still be responsible for the safe arrival of the item.

Should it not arrive, the buyer could open an item not received dispute and if you could not provide proof of delivery, ebay/ paypal would refund them. You would have no means of claiming from the courier as you do not have a contract with them.

Similarly, should the item be damaged in transit, it would be possible for the buyer to open a 'significantly not as described' dispute. Again, you would have no claim with the carrier.

--------------------------

and another post on a different thread:

If the buyer organises collection via their own choice of courier, it could leave you open to an INR (Item Not Received) claim, unless you have all the documentation that allows you to prove the item has been delivered & signed for online, as that's only proof Pay Pal accept to counter an INR claim.

T

the record spot

I tend to make sure that the item goes via Parcel2Go and use ParcelForce 48 within their site - £13 and gives you instant £200 cover for items up to 25kg. That's UK only and it's totally non-negotiable for me. The buyer gets their item and postage covered so neither they or I lose out in the event of a claim.

I don't allow buyers to organise their own collection for reasons already outlined. In short, I control it and if bidders don't like that arrangement or the cost, they can shop elsewhere easy enough.

RodhasGibson

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
the record spot:I tend to make sure that the item goes via Parcel2Go and use ParcelForce 48 within their site - £13 and gives you instant £200 cover for items up to 25kg. That's UK only and it's totally non-negotiable for me. The buyer gets their item and postage covered so neither they or I lose out in the event of a claim. I don't allow buyers to organise their own collection for reasons already outlined. In short, I control it and if bidders don't like that arrangement or the cost, they can shop elsewhere easy enough. Same Advice Here JD, have shipped to Austria,Sweden and Germany with no problems.Using D H L and Parcel2go.[all collected from my home]

John Duncan

Parcel2Go seems to be the way to go then. All they have to do is buy it now
emotion-2.gif

T

the record spot

Definitely, particularly as going to Parcelforce (for instance) directly costs more for the same sized parcel and gives you only £150 cover. Not sure if that's the same for the other couriers, but it made sense to go with P2G.

One other tip, unless you want to be hassled by their reps by email to follow up a query (which you can do before buying to estimate costs) make sure you opt for the "do not contact" me selection.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I have always found the Parcel2Go/DHL option for my UK shipments to be perfectly fine and acceptable, service levels and costs the best.

One tip if using P2Go/DHL go for the 2/3 day service rather than the more expensive Next Day option. 90% of the 2/3 day parcels are delivered next day anyway! I've sent 5 seperate shipments throughout the UK in the last 6 months on the 2/3 day service and they have all arrived in perfect condition the following day. Saves a few bob.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
This thread would have been useful a few weeks ago as i had someone ask about using their own courier. I was going to go for it. Long story short i ended up relisting the item tho, as people had been asking about international (mostly European) delivery, as it goes.

I think its worth it to make a sale, to go overseas (depends on the sale, mind) But what can you do. Just use paypal (which actually they make me use due to my limited history with them. Yeah, ive only been ebaying 11 years-ish) and make sure you have the money before posting the item. after that, use their dispute procedures as and whern...Luckily I've never had to.

Does wory me tho, someone, for example, saying something isnt working or whatever. I mean, sometimes you just want rid dont you.

A

Anonymous

michael hoy:Am I aloud to ask what you are selling, or your seller name!

Primare A20 MKII Amplifier and D20 CD Player

GoogleSearchIconShadow.gif
SuperSearchIconShadow.gif

A

Anonymous

lots of scams on ebay .... worst one we had was when someone bought an antique clock for £820 from my wife a couple of years ago

clock was working perfect for 10 days as we had it on the mantle while the ebay listing was active ....

guy received the clock, then stated that it did not work ... item was not damaged in transit ....

we promptly refunded ... received the clock back ... would not work ... took it to a clock repair place .... technician said that the balance spring was broken and there was no way it could have broken during transit

checked the buyer's previous ebay history ... he had bought a similar clock that was advertised with a broken spring?

all items my wife sells are old/antique ... and latest scams are when a buyer receives and item then 'demands' a partial refund or threatens to leave neg feedback

out of every 100 sales, 2 give probs (wife sells approx 60 items per week) .... not much a seller can do nowadays as ebay have removed the option for sellers to leave 'honest' feedback (sellers can only leave positive feedback- the neg feedback for sellers has been removed by ebay)

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Indeed, lots of it is Ebays fault as theyre moving the goalposts to encourage a certain kind of seller. Mind, your wife sounds nearer to that kind of seller than i, and its not doing her much good.

A

Anonymous

al7478:Indeed, lots of it is Ebays fault as theyre moving the goalposts to encourage a certain kind of seller. Mind, your wife sounds nearer to that kind of seller than i, and its not doing her much good.

still the best place to sell (and buy) ... you just have to factor the bad experiences into your sales ...

think that many powersellers are waiting for a large rival site to start up, but don't think any will be as good as ebay ...

a couple of years back, there were even petitions to Google and Richard Branston asking them to start up a rival site ... there were rumours that Google were considering, but nothing ever happened

Ebay are looking at operating the same as Amazon

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Meantime, theres almost no point the people who just want to offload the occasional CD/DVD/even more occasional bit of A/V gear bothering. And the cheaper the item the less the poin in trying. might as well bin it or give it away.

A

Anonymous

we worked out, that if you are a powerseller and are VAT registered, and if you buy an item for £50, .... then sell it on ebay for £100, you only make approx £12 profit (after taxes and ebay/paypal fees)

bear in mind, that it can take up to 35 minutes to photograph, edit photos in photoshop, do the research and place the ad

A

Anonymous

Paypal requires you to be able to provide proof of delivery in the form of a signature. Be careful as many courier companies will only guarantee to provide a signature in certain countries - I've had particular issues with Poland (or rather companies delivering to Poland).

Remember 'Tracking', 'Guaranteed Delivery', 'Proof og Delivery' are all reassuring labels but to be covered by Paypal you need to ensure that the delivery company will provide you with a signature.

Cheers,

Rob

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
dim_span:
There will be no problems, as long as you ship via recorded mail and through a reputable courier such as DHL or Interlink

the best that we have used, is www.parcel2go.com ... you can book online and pay via paypal or credit card ... they will collect from your home or place of work

make sure that the item is securely packed ... if it is an electonic item such as an amp or cdp, buy one of those large plastic lidded tubs (they cost less than £10) ... use loads of bubblewrap and polystrene chips (if you dont have polystrene chips, wrap the item in an old thick blanket and make sure that it is tightly packed (does not rattle around)

insure the item for the sold cost, plus the cost of shipping

you will get a tracking number, and the recepient has to sign for the item ... make sure that you also have the serial number of the item

takes 2-3 working days .... my wife ships worldwide, only countries where we have had problems were Italy and South Africa (items get 'lost'), but insurance pays out if there are probs

Maybe I've read things wrongly but I thought that to be protected as a seller you had to sell to either the UK or the US.

RodhasGibson

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Cool thanks - parcel2go were the people I found too. Have had so many enquiries about bidding from Euroland, must be the exchange rate... J D, is this Primare Out,Naim Uniti in. What will you do without the knobs eh.
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Gerrardasnails:dim_span: Maybe I've read things wrongly but I thought that to be protected as a seller you had to sell to either the UK or the US.

you can sell worldwide ... you will be 'protected' if you get paid via paypal ... if you use another form of payment such as cheque, cash, western union etc, ebay/paypal will not be able (or willing) to assist

even if the buyer does not have paypal, he can pay with his visa or credit card into your paypal account

A

Anonymous

Gerrardasnails:
Maybe I've read things wrongly but I thought that to be protected as a seller you had to sell to either the UK or the US.

This used to be the case but was changed (a couple of?) years ago. There's a list on Paypal's website of countries covered for seller protection which is now pretty comprehensive.

A

Anonymous

I recently sold a D-SLR camera on eBay and within a couple of days of listing I got about 4 emails from people asking if I would ship to Italy. 1 email and I might not have checked, but after about 4 of them I thought I'd better check to see if there were any scams going around, and the problem with Italy was that it was really hard to get a door to door tracking courier service to certain parts. Most couriers hand over goods to Italian postal services or third party couriers, and there was no end of forums posts by people saying they had been done over by people claiming Item Not Received, and because they didn't had enough evidence, PayPal always rule in favour of the buyer.

After reading that I found a courier who would guarantee what I needed and quoted them that, and none of them bid.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts