EB Acoustic EB1

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Hi Jimmy,

What finish did you get the speakers in? If you got them in black would you mind posting a photo? Its hard telling what the black finish looks like as there are no hiRes photos of the speakers in this finish online. Alternatively would you guys at EB acoustics mind posting a photo of the black finish or provide a link to a better image if one exists?

Cheers

A

Anonymous

Jimmy

What sort of music do you listen to through them and what amp do you use? Sorry if you have mentioned this before. I listen to a lot of dance, metal, rock, chillout and was wondering whethere these speakers would suit those styles of music. Do you think these would be an upgrade on my current speakers. See signature for current set up.

Cheers

Jay

A

Anonymous

Hi Jay

I'm playing stuff from a Squeezebox and Dacmagic into a Cambridge Audio 840 v1. I have a pretty wide range of tastes including all the things you mention plus jazz, world music, classical, bluegrass and pretty much anything else except rap. I haven't heard anything that doesn't sound good, except for Duffy's Rockferry album... but I think that album is harsh and tinny and sounds best in my car
emotion-5.gif

What I have noticed is that my setup really shows the quality of recording. For example, I have an 80's anthology, and the different recordings show different levels of quality in engineering, Kajagoogoo...whatever you think of the song...just purrs out of the speakers, whereas Duran Duran sounds badly recorded

I'm afraid I can't advise on your speaker as I've not heard them, except to say I owned a pair of Mission 7somethings and they were way way way below the EB1s. All I can suggest is that you order some, give them two or three weeks listening, then put your old ones back on and see if there is a difference... if you prefer your Missions then send the EB1s back... Ricky Allen may correct me, but I think that is the idea.

A

Anonymous

jaybed:
Jimmy

What sort of music do you listen to through them and what amp do you use? Sorry if you have mentioned this before. I listen to a lot of dance, metal, rock, chillout and was wondering whethere these speakers would suit those styles of music. Do you think these would be an upgrade on my current speakers. See signature for current set up.

Cheers

Jay

I was thinking of replacing my 782SE's with these speakers.

Looking at Ricky's response above, I would expect the EB1's to outperform the 780SE's as they are aimed at a much higher price point - £700-1,000 - as opposed to the 780SE's, which were about £350 as I remember.

A

Anonymous

I have just tried logging on to the EB Acoustics website, but just get a message saying that the link is broken.

Is the website down, or is there another problem?

A

Anonymous

chebby:JayKay70:
I have just tried logging on to the EB Acoustics website, but just get a message saying that the link is broken.

Is the website down, or is there another problem?

I have just managed to get their website ok here....

http://www.ebacoustics.com/acatalog/loudspeakers.html

Maybe they are in the middle of updating some pages.

Are you sure that isn't a cached page as your link takes me nowhere!

A

Anonymous

Hmm, it loads on my iPhone, but not my PC.

I will have to look into that later.

A

Anonymous

I received my pair of EB1's on 23rd December after about a 6 week wait. So far I've only had two reasonably thorough sessions with them, on different systems, testing out familiar music of all genres. Initially I thought the sound a little compressed but I think this was only down to their newness. After only 3 or so hours run in they began to open up and I can now only say they are stunning - given the cost and the size of speaker. What they deliver is open, transparent with every instrument and vocal well placed, clear and detailed. The sound-stage is wide and the attack is amazing. As others have mentioned, the bass is deep and precise and well beyond what you might think this small speaker could create. That said, as a rear ported design, I've found the positioning is quite sensitive. It can easily sound boomy if too close to the wall or lacking if too far. I've tried from 8 to 12 inches distance and found about 10 the ideal. Get it right and the overall tonal balance is perfect. These speakers will really show up the quality of your recordings. I've found the poorer recordings in my collection almost unlistenable now, while the best ones are like hearing for the first time and seriously raised the hairs on my neck. One last point of interest: I've used AudioQuest Emerald interconnects for some years now and love them. However, no other speaker I've owned has so clearly and convincingly displayed the directional characteristics of these cables. Switching the cables around is like night and day - warm, balanced and open in the "right" direction, forward, ragged and crowded in the wrong direction. This alone may give you some idea of just how well these speakers relay what they are passed. A superb product for the price.

A

Anonymous

Apart from the interconnects, of which I have no experience your findings are the same as mine. I found the speakers improved over days rather than hours. Absolutely love them. I've had the last three weeks at home with a new baby and have spent a lot of time listening to my modestly vast collection. I'm constantly discovering albums which may have only had half a listen on my previous system now sound just lush on the new setup. Best £469 I've spent for a while.

Thank you EB Ricky, it's a great product and you deserve every success with them
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Thanks Jimmy.

I have an urgent message for anyone who is considering the EB1.

DO NOT take the advice recently posted that the EB100 is just a single wire version of EB1 and 20 quid cheaper. IT IS NOT!!!.

EB100 is a near-field studio monitor which has different characteristics to a HiFi speaker. EB100 is designed for the home studio user and near-field work in larger studios and whilst EB1 works fine in this usage, EB100 would be the way to go. Sound engineers don't 'listen' to music like they would on a home system. They are 'looking' into the mix for things like separation, placement and so on. EB100 is more mid-forward than EB1. I find them great for mixdown but tiring for hifi.

From now on, please ask me instead of listening to uneducated waffle.

Thanks.

Ricky. EB Acoustics.

A

Anonymous

EB Ricky:

Thanks.

Ricky. EB Acoustics.

This is HARSH, in my opinion, and UNNECESSARY. This is a forum afterall.

A

Anonymous

Yes, forums are the place to go if you want uneducated waffle
emotion-5.gif

Either that or you've completely missed the point EB Ricky is making....

Dougal1331

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
Here we have a small company, who have produced an absolutely cracking speaker and are struggling to keep up with demand. In a time of severe recession this is to be applauded. Perhaps stopping orders is not the way to go, I agree, but at the end of the day a seven week backlog just shows what a success the EB1 is. In a way it's nice to know that there aren't thousands of pairs piled up in a warehouse somewhere.

Well done EB Acoustics, may your success continue. I shall be ordering my pair shortly- seven weeks passes quickly enough once you clear your early twenties...

A

Anonymous

Oups seems like my post got lost. Ricky > is the email contact form on your website working? I sent enquiries twice, one nearly a month ago, another one 3 days ago, still no reply on any of them...

A

Anonymous

yann2 I think all of us have found that he is not good at following up emails. He might come on and tell us why, but my guess is he's rushed off his feet and didn't anticipate so many people wanting his speakers so quickly.

Persevere though... I've no qualms thoroughly recommending these speakers at this price point

A

Anonymous

yann2:Oups seems like my post got lost. Ricky > is the email contact form on your website working? I sent enquiries twice, one nearly a month ago, another one 3 days ago, still no reply on any of them...

Hi Yann2.

Sorry. I'm not intentionally ignoring emails so please forgive me. I tell ya wot!. If you can find me a 48 hour day, that would help.

Ricky.

A

Anonymous

Garland Genoho:EB Ricky:

Thanks.

Ricky. EB Acoustics.

This is HARSH, in my opinion, and UNNECESSARY. This is a forum afterall.

Hello.

I've been hammered on here recently so apologies if my comments seemed a little harsh.

True, the nice part of forums is the waffle. I love it and so do others but I don't want duff info spread about my products or my company. If you were to buy EB100 instead of EB1 thinking it was a cheaper single wired fix then you are bound to be disappointed and that is what I want to avoid.

Ricky.

A

Anonymous

I'm just wondering if it's easier to get a golden ticket for the wonka factory than getting your hands on a pair of EB1's.

Can't wait to get mine. Are orders been taken again? No reply to my e-mails from the website. Anyone know if they deliver to Ireland and what the delivery cost is?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts