EB Acoustic EB1

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I wonder if anyone has these speakers to give me/us some feedback please.
I have read a great review at the What Hi-Fi website (5 star speakers!) in their price range.

A

Anonymous

There are a couple of threads here about them, but I think there are only a handful of people with them. I've had mine about a week. I had 25 year old B&W DM110 before that I was very happy with, but curious to see if there had been much progress in the world of speakers.

I'm still trying them.... so no definitive answers yet. I'll give it another week to get totally used to them before I stick the old ones back on to compare. What I can tell you is that there are no worries in the bass department. There is bloody loads of it, and it is punchy and taut. I'm quite amazed by it given the size of these little beasties. The rest of the sound is very very clear. Good separation and soundstage and all that... but need to give it a bit more time. I would say that these speakers give a natural uncoloured sound. I haven't heard the competition so I am loathe to try and make a value judgement, other than to say that they are definitely quality speakers.

A

Anonymous

I don't feel uneasy about them at all.... they sound great!! What more do you want from them?

A

Anonymous

I was tempted with these speakers, but any company who closes their order book raises doubts in my mind. OK, I can understand the huge demand for their speakers at the moment, but why put orders on hold? That doesn't make any sense. I am sure if the company just put a notice up saying "Pre-order" and a rough delivery date most people would be happy waiting. All they have done by closing the order book is make people cautious of the company and buy elsewhere. Ok, some people will wait until the 6th Jan, but I bet they have lost loads of orders over this move. Shame, but what kind of business refuses to take pre-orders....
emotion-18.gif

As Blackadder once said.... "I smell something fishy - and I am not talking about the contents of Baldrick's apple crumble"

A

Anonymous

what a lot of rubbish two of you guys shouild be ashamed of yourselves

rather than casting aspersions why dont you just give them a call on the 6th like the website says

many smaller companies shut for a couple of weeks over christmas and its hardly the fault of eb acoustics theyre speakers are in such demand

A

Anonymous

The point of an internet forum is to have an opinion. Apologies if our opinions do not match yours. My opinion is that an internet business that does not take orders is very unusual. The whole point of e-commerce is that the business runs 24/7 and does not need to close for Christmas. So, opinion finished. Let's leave it there.

A

Anonymous

Well I don't care, I've got mine and I'm bloody keeping them.... they are fantastic! The more I listen to them the more I like them. Vocals are absolutely fantastic, bass is awesome.

Ignore the drama queens on this thread and place your order if you want some... the worst that can happen is that you'll end up waiting a few months.

Besides.... it's hardly 'e-commerce 24/7' , a la Amazon or whoever... it's a couple of guys producing hi quality esoteric hi-fi equipment. Sometimes the best stuff in life isn't just accessible with a click of a button
emotion-5.gif

T

the record spot

chebby:I felt uneasy about a company that is forced to cease taking orders for over a month due to success.

Saw an interesting programme over Christmas about the BBC Micro and the rivalry between it and Sinclair. Later in the drama, I was reminded of the demand Sinclair enjoyed for its then new QL computer and continued taking orders for a product they hadn't yet fully tested. The specifics are different for sure, but it does highlight what may be more prudent when it comes to handling consumer demand.

I would've thought it may be more of an issue for EB to manage those customers returning after the 30-day trial period if they end up getting more back than successfully selling.

T

the record spot

AquaCom:The point of an internet forum is to have an opinion. Apologies if our opinions do not match yours. My opinion is that an internet business that does not take orders is very unusual. The whole point of e-commerce is that the business runs 24/7 and does not need to close for Christmas. So, opinion finished. Let's leave it there.

Indeed, but that doesn't mean you can post whatever you like in whatever manner you choose to phrase it. This is a general comment rather than directed at yours specifically but you make the point about forums in general.

If you read the EB site again, the red text also refers to a backlog of orders which suggests the upsurge in demand following the WHF review was greater than the capabilities available to produce the speakers.

EB aren't B&Q, or Sevenoaks, they don't have vast resources and they're not the first company out there to experience difficulties in meeting demand. There is, however, a possibility that posts like yours and chebby's which cast questions over the comapny as a working and ongoing concern and which are misplaced can cause problems when voiced in sufficient numbers. Chinese Whispers and all that. That's the problem with internet forums when issues like this come to a head.

I'd suggest anyone considering these speakers contacts the company directly rather than help fan the flames of a probably non-existant fire.

As for any company stalling their business just before Christmas, the review only came out in - what - late summer/early autumn? So pre-Christmas demand is likely to be high. It is as easy to come up with a reasonable explanation as it is to create an unhelpful web rumour.

A

Anonymous

the record spot:AquaCom:The point of an internet forum is to have an opinion. Apologies if our opinions do not match yours. My opinion is that an internet business that does not take orders is very unusual. The whole point of e-commerce is that the business runs 24/7 and does not need to close for Christmas. So, opinion finished. Let's leave it there. Indeed, but that doesn't mean you can post whatever you like in whatever manner you choose to phrase it. This is a general comment rather than directed at yours specifically but you make the point about forums in general. If you read the EB site again, the red text also refers to a backlog of orders which suggests the upsurge in demand following the WHF review was greater than the capabilities available to produce the speakers. EB aren't B&Q, or Sevenoaks, they don't have vast resources and they're not the first company out there to experience difficulties in meeting demand. There is, however, a possibility that posts like yours and chebby's which cast questions over the comapny as a working and ongoing concern and which are misplaced can cause problems when voiced in sufficient numbers. Chinese Whispers and all that. That's the problem with internet forums when issues like this come to a head. I'd suggest anyone considering these speakers contacts the company directly rather than help fan the flames of a probably non-existant fire. As for any company stalling their business just before Christmas, the review only came out in - what - late summer/early autumn? So pre-Christmas demand is likely to be high. It is as easy to come up with a reasonable explanation as it is to create an unhelpful web rumour.

Agreed, good post.
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Its kind of ironic isn't it. The OP is asking for opinions on these speakers from people who've got them.... there are plenty of opinions here, but I'm the only person who has got some.

Chebby, what are you doing posting on this thread?
emotion-16.gif
You haven't got these speakers so you know nothing about them, and you are sounding off about something you've read at the bottom of the EB website. We've all read it, but you seem to be the only one who didn't see the words 'backlog of orders' and 'unprecedented demand'. Its a 2 man company, not a design agency having stuff mass-produced in China. If you want some then you'll have to sit on your impatient little hands and wait.... and that includes waiting till next week before they'll accept your order.
emotion-19.gif

So, back to the OP... these are great speakers, I love them. See what happens next week and if you can stomach the wait.

EDITED BY MODS - please curb the language and do not attack other users

A

Anonymous

Hi.

Interesting thread this.

To date, we have sold over 90 pairs of EB1's. Most of which have been sold in this country but we hae also sold them in Australia, Germany, Greece, Cyprus, Hong Kong and the Netherlands.

As regards other magazines, what do I want to put them in there for??. What HiFi has a circulation of over 60,000 copies a month. They speak english, not geek. They don't have loads of technical equipment that they don't know how to use. What HiFi is a subjective opinion for the common man. Simple as that.

As regards not taking orders until Jan 6th, let me say this. I would rather turn work away than keep people 'hanging on'. You have to bear in mind that each pair of EB1's and 100's are handbuilt at our factory including pressing the boards and veneers that make up the cabinets. I am, in actual fact, going to be getting cabinets made outside our facility by a BRITISH cabinet maker. I am determined not to go to China for these.

Final note. The comments that have been made on this forum by Chebby and the other guy. They are right about opinions expressed but answer me this bearing in mind what you say is in print and not just on a verbal level. Why are you slandering me??.

A

Anonymous

not really a gracious response chebby

a simple ok i got it wrong would have sufficed

can i suggest you contact eb acoustics on the 6th with your questions rather than unfairly asking them on a public forum

did you ask the same questions of your dealer or naim on this forum when you bought your equipment

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
EB Ricky:
Hi.

Interesting thread this.

To date, we have sold over 90 pairs of EB1's. Most of which have been sold in this country but we hae also sold them in Australia, Germany, Greece, Cyprus, Hong Kong and the Netherlands.

As regards other magazines, what do I want to put them in there for??. What HiFi has a circulation of over 60,000 copies a month. They speak english, not geek. They don't have loads of technical equipment that they don't know how to use. What HiFi is a subjective opinion for the common man. Simple as that.

As regards not taking orders until Jan 6th, let me say this. I would rather turn work away than keep people 'hanging on'. You have to bear in mind that each pair of EB1's and 100's are handbuilt at our factory including pressing the boards and veneers that make up the cabinets. I am, in actual fact, going to be getting cabinets made outside our facility by a BRITISH cabinet maker. I am determined not to go to China for these.

Final note. The comments that have been made on this forum by Chebby and the other guy. They are right about opinions expressed but answer me this bearing in mind what you say is in print and not just on a verbal level. Why are you slandering me??.

Welcome to the Forums, Ricky!

Hope you'll be a regular visitor to answer the many questions people may have about the excellent EB1s; please can you just add your company details in your signature/bio, as per our House Rules for industry folk? Thanks
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

Hi Clare.

Long time no speak. Hope you are well.

As regards Chebby's point, let me deal with these.

The EB1 would originally hae been a £1000 loudspeaker but the retail fraternity just couldn't make their minds up. So, to put this in context, the ATC SCM11 is a good reference in some ways and bad in others. Let me explain.

SCM11 is a closed box design so, by nature, will sound better than EB1 closer to a wall. EB1, due to rear porting, needs to be 8-10 feet apart, around 10 inches away from any rear or parallel walls and toed in about 10 degrees.

The reference loudspeaker used was indeed the SCM11. Overall, there wasn't an awful lot in it other than sensitivity. The EB1's 'seemed to be a fraction louder' for the same input.

The SCM11 is an awesome loudspeaker and worth every penny. Make no mistake. It always was.

As regards the other points, I hae no intention of pursueing these on a public forum. This isn't what forums are for. Ring me after 6th of Jan and I will be only too happy to answer as many questions as I can.

EB Acoustics.

T

the record spot

Actually, I'd just like to hear Chebby's answer to Ricky's slander question ahead of anything else. Seems like the inital opportunity to do so was reduced to "Ok thanks Ricky", which isn't an answer to my understanding of the sentence and not least as he spent a few threads on the first page panelling the company at will.

Good on you for your posts Ricky; more power to your company's elbow and all the best for the forthcoming year. Great news to hear you're investing in UK craftsmen into the bargain. There's a few folk out there who'd pay good money for such a product.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
If there were anything deemed 'slanderous' to the company, it's owners/workers, or products, then the WHF moderators would have moderated my comments accordingly and warned me against using slanderous language.

They may still yet (if another moderator has a different 'take' on my comments).

Clare has already visited this thread so I assume she read the content at the time (including my posts).

I may still be ordering the EB100's when things have settled down a bit and EB have cleared their backlog. I am very interested that they were referenced against SCM11's during their development and were aimed at the same market as speakers up to £1000 (if bought from a dealer).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts