Easily confused!

Status
Not open for further replies.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
As someone who can tell the difference (when concentrating) between CA Atlantic and CA Arctic interconnects, I am struggling to notice the difference between the Arctic and Azure Reference. (I think one was £20 the other was £50 at good old RicherSounds).

So it got me thinking: Is it that me / my brain / my hearing that cant appreciate the subtleties that increasing expensive interconnects deliver.

OR

Is it that between those I listened too, there actaully is little difference?

You see, I 'm torn between admitting "I cant tell the difference - I may as well opt for the last ones I can tell the difference with" or going with something more expensive because "it MUST be better" and as a bonus I can inflate my ego!

Yours

Easily confussed.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
If your ego depends on it, stick with the ones you can hear a difference with and use what you save to get concilling.

A

Anonymous

Having had a sleep (always a bad sign!).

I've had a flash of inspiration.

Given that the components in an interconnector are wire, insulator, connector, solder (or force). It boils down to three things: Quality of components, workmanship and synergy.

So, if I get some plugs, short length of cable and my soldering iron out. There is a good chance I'll be able to put something together for the price of a couple of pints of beer, that I cant tell the difference with a £50 shop bought jobbie!

Successs and a massaged EGO.

OR - am I missing some vital ingredient in this receipe?

Cheers!

A

Anonymous

Some may say that some of the fleabay offerings are based on exactly that principle.

Me!...I couldnt possibly comment.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Serenity:

As someone who can tell the difference (when concentrating) between CA Atlantic and CA Arctic interconnects, I am struggling to notice the difference between the Arctic and Azure Reference. (I think one was £20 the other was £50 at good old RicherSounds).

So it got me thinking: Is it that me / my brain / my hearing that cant appreciate the subtleties that increasing expensive interconnects deliver.

I'm always amazed how much importance is placed on price. While it is true that in a very general sense, more expensive = better sound, there are many contridictions to this rule. Way too much credit is given to expensive equipment merely because it is expensive. I have heard interconnects costing 10 times what the chord crimson costs that sound worse to my ears. Same for amps and CDPs.

pauldownton1979

Jun 24, 2009
the atlantics a tenner, the arctic £20, i had both, a little difference. the pacific £30 is much much better i use it now you will notice a big difference if you get it. tho i will be swapping for chord crimson next week as it may synergize better with my system - we will see !!

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
It's not just about price, it's about you equipment, it's about the sound you like. An IC can make a discernable difference but I personally feel that it's about crafting a sound, going the extra mile. A £30 and a £50 IC from the same brand is going to be pretty similar. Move up to £200 and you get a decent swing. Change brands and you can get a decent swing...not always what you're after tho'.

momo72

Dec 5, 2014
the atlantics a tenner, the arctic £20, i had both, a little difference. the pacific £30 is much much better i use it now you will notice a big difference if you get it. tho i will be swapping for chord crimson next week as it may synergize better with my system - we will see !!
What is the difference (if any) between the Pacific in yellow jacket vs. the grey version?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts