Earth hum??

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, i have an earth hum problem which I wondered if anyone could help with... both my CD transport (Cambridge Audio 540c) and amp both have very low level earth hums which seem to be totally un-connected.

The CD player is emitting an earth hum even whilst on standby (which doesn't appear to be transmitted through the speakers) and the amp has one when powered up (although this is very low-level and can be heard if you put your ear right to the speaker) it doesn't get any louder, the more you turn the volume up.

It doesn't interfere with my listening but is just really irritating and I want to chase the problem out now before I go mad!

I'm using a Tacima mains conditioner, which hasn't alleviated the problem. Where should I start? Mains cables? Loose components?? any advice would be helpful.

Cheers,

Neil

Johnno2

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
Some equipment does have a very small hum,my Marantz pm7001 has this ,its a 50hz transformer hum ,all transformers will do this to some extent ,but I cant hear it in the speakers,you could on my old PM 57 .It should not affect the sound qaulity though, However if its louder than normal and you can hear it when stood away it could be loose windings on the transformers, you should only hear it faintly when your ear is pressed up against the units, if the units are under warranty and you think its excessive buzzing ,return them as faulty.

matthewpiano

Its quite normal with the Cambridge Audio Azur stuff, particularly the 540 and 640 components. Unless it is absolutely excessive I would not say this is a fault but more a characteristic of the equipment. Also, to be honest, an awful lot of equipment shares this characteristic including some Naim gear that I've come across and my own Pioneer A400.

As long as the hum isn't being amplified to the speakers, I would say your kit is absolutely fine.

A

Anonymous

It sounds like you are describing the 'noise floor' which is really down to the pollution in the Mains supply.

Transformer hum which extends onto everything, that's why when you use better cables etc music sounds so much clearer.

A

Anonymous

Matthewpiano is quite right. Transformer hum isn't transmitted through the speakers, whereas earth hum is. If it's the former, then, other than perhaps having to move your equipment so you can't hear it, you don't need to do anything. He's right about Naim, too. If you check their manuals, they tell you all about it.

A

Anonymous

yes, this wass one of the reasons i got rid of the Naim kit. The girlfriend wouldn't even come in the room when it was on as it was so annoying!

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Hello Ridleski, i had problems with earth noise when living in a flat built in the late 1960's and was never able to souce the problem, even with expert help. Thankfully now i've moved everything is as normal. But a friend of mine had the same problem in a house built in the early 1970,s and solved the problem. He had a faulty lamp on the same loop as the hifi which was giving him the problems. Maybe checking the each item you have an the loop i.e if it has an earth or is earthed properly may yield a result. Good luck.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts