strobo

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Simple subject. Mad I know, but without them none of use would be posting here, would we? Has anybody else experimented and found variations in the sounds they hear depending on the direction their earlobes point? My ears lie pretty flat to the side of my head, and I've found that by making them stick out a little (headphones worn behind the ears DJ style is the most comfortable way) increases my treble pick-up massively, though I find it fatiguing after a very short time. I'm curious as to whether this is common (or am I just weird?). In my case it would suggest that I would have a tendency to enjoy forward and bright sounding gear, to compensate for my lack of treble perception, where somebody with better treble pickup (more sticky-out ears?) might find the same gear too harsh. I appreciate that other factors come into play, and there are a million and one other variations between different people and their ears, but if this is a pretty common factor, then maybe we could all use it as a simple starting point when searching for gear. I'm not quite suggesting a "how to..." though. Just something to help people along, and maybe to help the un-believers and cynics accept that we all do have different needs and proper hi-fi allows us to cater for those needs. So, tell us all whether moving your ears changes your perception of your hi-fi, and does it improve things?

strobo

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Thaiman"]
What have you been drinking tonight?
[/quote]

Hehehe, I haven't. This is what lack of sleep in a busy week does to me. However, it's a valid question. Try sitting in your favourite listening position, with your favourite piece of music on, and either hold your ears back, or hold them out. It really does make a difference. Whether it's a good one is another matter, but it certainly proves how little things can change our entire perception of what we hear.

I'll give you an example. I'm sat at the computer. And by pulling my earlobes forward just slightly I get a fuller and more rounded sound from the fans. It's fair to say they're pumping out higher frequencies, so it ties in with my theory above. If I push my earlobes back the sound goes all flat and lifeless.

All this will not only have an effect on buying gear in the first place, but maybe also on speaker positioning. I don't like having speakers angled in too much. I prefer to have them fire past me, otherwise I just don't get a soundstage at all, I just hear from each speaker individually instead.

Go on, Thaiman, try it. You'll see what I mean. :)

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
It might seem sad but my Hifi system only deserved the best "sweet spot" in my listening room! I rarely play a tune without sitting in my listening chair unless like I am now typing and listening to my 2nd system......sad but true!

A

Anonymous

Darn-it - I'll sneak one more post in before hitting the sack (not literally, you understand).

I pulled out my comfy chair and positioned it about 3m, into the middle of the room in front of my speaker and was pleasantly surprised at the results - it was all much more defined and the imaging was an eye (ear?) opener. Shame I'm too much of a lazy git to get up and move the chair. Normally sit about twice as far away and it's quite a difference.

The thought of making dishes to go behind your ears - like cupped hands if you're trying hard tolisten to someone - did pass briefly through my mind. Although I haven't admitted to such folly other than here now.

strobo

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Hehehehe, now we're getting somewhere.

All I'm really trying to do is say perceived wisdom is just that. Just by moving our ears - or similarly our listening position - we can change the way things sound to us by quite a lot. So when the guide or the manual for something says "this is the way to do it", we know to reach for that pinch of salt...

Anybody else wanna try?

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
my ears have seen the glory of the coming of the lord.i tried this while on the computer,it works.now to rig up a system for holding my ears back much better than overpriced cables.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts