Dynavector 10x4 mk II - Worth repairing?

antcg1

Dec 28, 2008
Visit site
I've been given a Dynavector 10X4 cartridge which came with a Rega Planar 3 that a friend bought on an auction site. However, when he connected the deck to his Arcam A19 there was clearly something amiss - from memory lots of distortion on one channel. So he took the Rega to a local independent HiFi dealer for a service and in the process they replaced the cartridge with a Rega Elys 2. So the old Dynavector has been donated to me. I have a Planar 2 - and was about to upgrade the original green cartridge to an Elys, to run through my own Arcam 19. I know it's a MC cartridge - but my understanding is that it is compatible with the Arcam’s MM phono stage.

Does anyone know for sure whether the Arcam can handle this cartridge? If so I'll look to get a new stylus fitted and connect it to my Planar 2. I don’t know for sure if the stylus is broken - or whether there’s something else wrong with the cartridge.

Fundamentally I’d love to breathe new life into the Dynavector but won't repair it unless I'm sure it's a worthwhile investment. Any advice, gratefully received.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
You need to determine if the cartridge is ok by fitting it to a deck !

its not so much the stylus being worn - but more if the suspension is shot in the Cantilever !

How old is the Cartridge ?

For the price of a new 10x5 maybe not worth it tbh

antcg1

Dec 28, 2008
Visit site
Yes, it was fitted to the Rega Planar 3 my friend bought secondhand - and when he hooked it up to his system there was pretty bad break-up on one channel. Replacing the whole cartridge eliminated that problem - but I don't think anyone diagnosed the root of the problem beyond that. So I'm only guessing that the (twisted?) stylus may have been the root of the problem.

No idea how old it is - but the Rega it came with was in excellent condition so I doubt it has been particularly abused. So I'm minded to send it off for repair.

Don't really have the budget for a new 10x5 - although it would be my upgrade of choice. But thinking I could justify £100 fixing the 10x4 if I thought it would come back working.

antcg1

Dec 28, 2008
Visit site
I haven't begun looking into the costs. Or even diagnosed the problem.

So I guess there's two questions here: what would it be worth spending on this particular model of cartridge to repair it?

And if successfully repaired would it definitely work with my A19's MM stage?

antcg1 said:
I haven't begun looking into the costs. Or even diagnosed the problem.

So I guess there's two questions here: what would it be worth spending on this particular model of cartridge to repair it?

And if successfully repaired would it definitely work with my A19's MM stage?

To be honest it's probably not worth repairing. For the approx. £250 it would cost you could buy a decent new Moving Magnet.

Having said that, with an output of 2.5mV it should work with your amp if maybe a bit lower volume than say a CD

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
I had a similar problem with the 10x4 cartridge I used in my Planar3, and seem to recall being told that it could be traded in for a new cartridge, having a value of around £60, but could be mistaken? Search for Dynavector dealers, (Pear Audio?) and ask.

The 10x4 is a high-output MC cartridge, so will be ok into the MM input of an amp.

I now have a Nagaoka MP110.

GeoffreyW said:
I had a similar problem with the 10x4 cartridge I used in my Planar3, and seem to recall being told that it could be traded in for a new cartridge, having a value of around £60, but could be mistaken? Search for Dynavector dealers, (Pear Audio?) and ask.

The 10x4 is a high-output MC cartridge, so will be ok into the MM input of an amp.

I now have a Nagaoka MP110.

A good point. Pear Audio still offer trade ins according to their website but whether this is just on the current range of cartridges who knows. Rebuilds also offered. Worth a phone call.

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
If the cost of a 10x4 or 5 refurb is still too much, don't bin your cartridge, try advertising it for sale - someone might want to use it to part-ex it. That's what I did.

You won't get much for it, but it's better than binning it, surely?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts