Dynaudio Xeo 2

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
The Xeo2 sounds pretty good, but at £1000 a pair, so it should.

In reality if you want full wireless operation you need to add a separate 'Hub' or the new 'Connect' (£200 or £300) otherwise you run cables just like a regular active speaker. Bluetooth is the only fully wireless option.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:
The Xeo2 sounds pretty good, but at £1000 a pair, so it should.

In reality if you want full wireless operation you need to add a separate 'Hub' or the new 'Connect' (£200 or £300) otherwise you run cables just like a regular active speaker. Bluetooth is the only fully wireless option.

I think xeo hub or dynaudio connect are only needed when you want multi room streaming ( you can add 3 pair of speakers per hub/ connect) otherwise wired connection ( or AEX) will do the job.. I'm really interested cause the speakers are only 15cm deep and can be put on a wall ( something I've been looking for; good sound and shallow box) ...

the rest of the xeo range sound good so this should too..

£1000 price tag.. true, but it's only that high in UK, if you look some other European countries can get them £200 less

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
yeah, you run cables but it's bit more than regular active speaker since you have analogue and digital connections straight into the master speaker + remote control to choose source, adjust volume and switch them on and off.. so hub or connect are - like you've said - for wireless duties or muliroom.. thing is: one can get them as a complete audio solution ( just add source) and wireless is an option if you want to go wireless but it's not essential.. I believe this product got 3 strong points:

- it's a complete package ( speakers, amps, dac, pre amp, EQ)

- it's shallow box

- it's wireless if you want

can you think of any alternatives that tick all 3 boxes?

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
I need to remove big speakers from living room in order to make more play area for our little boy.. invested heavily in headphones business and need speakers for movie and occasional music enjoyment but don't like soundbar idea and subs especially.. been looking at small actives and then found these dynaudio's and bang!! similary priced to good sounbars from dali or focal and I guess much better sounding and ability to hang them on a wall.. I can connect them to tv and aries mini and have complete hifi/ movie solution..

I think I shouldn't wait any longer...

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
lpv said:
I need to remove big speakers from living room in order to make more play area for our little boy.. invested heavily in headphones business and need speakers for movie and occasional music enjoyment but don't like soundbar idea and subs especially.. been looking at small actives and then found these dynaudio's and bang!! similary priced to good sounbars from dali or focal and I guess much better sounding and ability to hang them on a wall.. I can connect them to tv and aries mini and have complete hifi/ movie solution..

I think I shouldn't wait any longer...

Well let us know how it sounds when you get it. It should be a nice system. Have you heard any other Dynaudio speakers?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
The Xeo2 is marketed as a 'wireless' speaker, which in not quite true. Only Bluetooth streaming is Wireless, everything else is wired in the normal way unless you use a Hub or Connect.

Personally I think Dynaudio have missed a trick here, had they implemented the flexibility of the 'Connect' box, with its wireless streaming and built in Spotify Connect features, the Xeo2 would have been an altogether more interesting product.

As it stands it is really a bit behind the curve here, it's undoubtably a quality product, I hold Dynaudio in high regard in this respect, but products like the Yamaha RN-N500 is a far more complete solution, (Airplay, Bluetooth, wireless streaming, Spotify Connect), for a lot less money (£599 list).

E99254E154954874B516372E853CBA04_12001.jpg

Alternatively, if you in Europe, the Nubert Nupro series offer fully functional active systems (just add source) starting from just €570 pair, not wireless but otherwise good value.

Nubert-nuPro-Gruppenbild11.jpg

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Regisss said:
What about Dali Kubik free? Or also Zensor 1ax?

Dali, another company I hold in pretty high regard. The Kubik is an excellent sounding system but does not quite do enough, no airplay or streaming, no cloud services such as Spotifi Connect, not enough given the £900 price.

The Zensor ax is a powered-passive speaker so not a true actve. Not necessarily a big issue though if it sounds good. Still nothing like sufficient functionality but perhaps that can be excused at the sub £500 price point.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Ajani - I am familiar with Focus range and Dynaudio studio monitors and like them a lot..

Dave - I was looking for a compact actives but did not found anything with built in pre amp and dac that I can hang on a wall and it looks neat at the same time.. visited dynaudio website and found new xeo.. ( personally don't need Spotify as I don't use this - or other - service any more).. do you know by any chance any other speakers that meet my expectations?

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
lpv said:
Ajani - I am familiar with Focus range and Dynaudio studio monitors and like them a lot..

In that case I'd pull the trigger. Once you're comfortable with the sound quality of the brand, there's not too much to worry about.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
lpv said:

Dave - I was looking for a compact actives but did not found anything with built in pre amp and dac that I can hang on a wall and it looks neat at the same time.. visited dynaudio website and found new xeo.. ( personally don't need Spotify as I don't use this - or other - service any more).. do you know by any chance any other speakers that meet my expectations?

No.

The relatively shallow depth of the Xeo 2 is a bonus here, most actives tend to be deep with cable positioning that precludes wall mounting.

That said I have no idea how well it will work in such a situation, I am generally not one for wall mounting speakers so not an expert in this case.

As alternatives I believe some of the smaller Genelec models have wall brackets that can be used. The new 8330 can be had with full computerised room eq for around £1k, ideal if the positioning is less than ideal.

masterblaster

Dec 5, 2015
Visit site
I think the XEO2's are suitable for a hifi system replacement in smaller rooms.

I have put them on my shortlist together with a modded version (with subwoofer connections) of the KEF X300A wireless. Combine these active monitors with some roomcorrection like Dirac Live or Audiolense and I think you have a very reasonable priced 3-way active audio system.

Nice developments!

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
masterblaster said:
I think the XEO2's are suitable for a hifi system replacement in smaller rooms.

I have put them on my shortlist together with a modded version (with subwoofer connections) of the KEF X300A wireless. Combine these active monitors with some roomcorrection like Dirac Live or Audiolense and I think you have a very reasonable priced 3-way active audio system.

Nice developments!

The Genelec 8330 APM includes room correction, less than £1200 if you shop around. If you need it add a sub, the Genelec F1 is suitable for most setups and adds remote volume, very neat.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for all the suggestions... those Genelecs - all models in fact - are 20% cheaper in other EU countries than in UK at the moment and I guess I've made the decision, put deposit and secure the price for Xeo 2 with dedicated wall brackets... coming late December early January.. as I said before I mainly listen music on headphones and need good sounding active speakers ( with all the pre amp/ dac functionality) on walls, sub wasn't an option.. no audition purchase but hopefully Dynaudio wont disappoint.

GustavAP

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I suddenly got my eyes on some Xeo 2 and that due to their DSP they might be abole to wall mount and sound more than okay still. I am temtped to 'settle' with this because I will have to adress the problem of soon having a small child running around in the living room. It suddenly feels like a reasonable move just to get rid of the separates and not spend time on upgraditis hehe.

I will go and listen to them as soon as I have a chance, probably next week, but they have had great reviews in most places. But are there any more people having exerienced them since this thread begun?

lpv? Did you mount them on the wall?

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
I've changed my mind and bought AVI DM5 instead ( put them on heavy stands + 3M dual lock tape) however I've heard Xeo2 and can recommend them a lot - for what they offer + option to mount them on the wall they are great choice and good value.

GustavAP

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the reply lpv. The reason why i'm suddenly attracted to the Dynaudio, besides the wallmounting and neatness of it, has to do with its more than okey input section, as I would not need a new preamp with my actives and where I could neatly hide my phono-stage and streamer away.

avole

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
I've given the Xeo2s extensive demos on a number of occasions, and they are really good value for the money. They're also one of the few soi-disant "wireless" speakers that actually only have 2 wires, the power cords, rather than the normal minimum which is 2 plus the master/slave cable.

The Bluetooth implementation is spot on. I auditioned them using my iphone as a source - instant connection and excellent quality.

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
lpv said:
I've changed my mind and bought AVI DM5 instead ( put them on heavy stands + 3M dual lock tape) however I've heard Xeo2 and can recommend them a lot - for what they offer + option to mount them on the wall they are great choice and good value.

Did the DM10's go back (due to the colouration issue) and never return?

GustavAP

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
avole said:
I've given the Xeo2s extensive demos on a number of occasions, and they are really good value for the money. They're also one of the few soi-disant "wireless" speakers that actually only have 2 wires, the power cords, rather than the normal minimum which is 2 plus the master/slave cable.

The Bluetooth implementation is spot on. I auditioned them using my iphone as a source - instant connection and excellent quality.

If I would go for the Xeo 2 I would probably end up using them over bluetooth for music at times based on mere lazyness, but as I will have to wire them from TV and phono-stage anyway I will also hook it up to my streamer, so for me it would still be some cable job to be done, although get rid of the quite eastetically pleasing, but HUGH Primare amp.

avole

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
with my phono stage to my amp - receiver on amp, transmitter on phono stage, and that worked well. Phono stage/bluetooth/Devialet Phantoms were going to be my setup, but, unfortunately, the real world got in the way !

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts