Dynaudio speaker selection help

sfanes

Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
I need help choosing speakers.
I want to buy used Dynaudio speakers.

The room in which they will be placed is 25m square.
I usually listen to rock, jazz, blues ...
I listened to Audience 52 in a small room a few times and I really liked the sound image, the purity and the frequency range of the deep tones.
Since my room is almost twice as big, I thought that some of these flortanding would meet my needs.

I found these near me:

Dynaudio CONTOUR 1.8 mk2 - 900EUR
Dynaudio CONTOUR 1.8 - 850EUR
Dynaudio Audience 20 - 400EUR
Dynaudio Audience 8 - 500EUR
Dynaudio Audience 122 - 550EUR

Some advice

I need help choosing speakers.
I want to buy used Dynaudio speakers.

The room in which they will be placed is 25m square.
I usually listen to rock, jazz, blues ...
I listened to Audience 52 in a small room a few times and I really liked the sound image, the purity and the frequency range of the deep tones.
Since my room is almost twice as big, I thought that some of these flortanding would meet my needs.

I found these near me:

Dynaudio CONTOUR 1.8 mk2 - 900EUR
Dynaudio CONTOUR 1.8 - 850EUR
Dynaudio Audience 20 - 400EUR
Dynaudio Audience 8 - 500EUR
Dynaudio Audience 122 - 550EUR

Some advice
How many feet is your room? Trying to visualise 25mt sq. Actual room size and layout is essential.

What amp are you using? The Contours, in particular, require a ballsy amp.

Reactions: Al ears

sfanes

Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
Approximately 270 square feet. I am currently using a Harman Kardon AVR 165, but I intend to get a Sony ES amplifier like the TA-F530ES

Attachments

• IMG_3338.JPG
    IMG_3338.JPG
    173.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_3337.JPG
    IMG_3337.JPG
    204 KB · Views: 38
Approximately 270 square feet. I am currently using a Harman Kardon AVR 165, but I intend to get a Sony ES amplifier like the TA-F530ES
Lovely size of room. Having heard the Contour s1.4 they need a hefty amount of space behind them. The dealer said, IIRC, the Contour standmounts need at least 4 feet from the back wall.

I'm a big fan of the older Dyns but I need a speaker that's more room friendly.

Good luck

I would typically want more space behind the speakers, and ideally a bit closer to each other. That is for accurate imaging of acoustic music. But for studio created music it’s probably immaterial. Bass might boom a bit when much above background volume with floor-standers.

Safest bet if used is to buy the one easiest to resell, preferably with boxes so you can post not just hope for collection.

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
You have a difficult room space ! (lovely decore by the way) though lovely and big. All the speakers you mention really need a lot space. And I guess where you have your speakers at the moment is where they will be roughly placed again. They look a little far apart but then i don't live in that space so made sound perfect. Just an observation.

If it were me I’d be looking at sealed designs/ speakers that go close to the wall. Such as those from ATC or Klipsch

Another would be Butchart audio with its radiator design, active designs might be good shout with its room correction.

I'd actually argue, this system isn't really ideal at all even as it stands. I'd swallow the pride and get soundbar like a sonos arc bundle (subwoofer and rears) or the new sony wounder speaker system that can be placed anywhere. TBH i bet it would deliver a much much better sound than you currently have/after at least for films and then move over to headphones for critical music listening. Just a suggestion and thinking out loud.

I would typically want more space behind the speakers, and ideally a bit closer to each other. That is for accurate imaging of acoustic music. But for studio created music it’s probably immaterial. Bass might boom a bit when much above background volume with floor-standers.

Safest bet if used is to buy the one easiest to resell, preferably with boxes so you can post not just hope for collection.
Echoes exactly my initial reply about room from the back wall. Those Contours are stinkers in that respect.

I would also say a Naim Supernait (any incarnation) would be minimum IMO. I heard the S1.4 with a Naim XS and that struggled a little -- just sounded breathless when cranked up

sfanes

Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
First of all I want to thank you all for your advice.
I know that the situation on the pictures does not look like anything that is HIFI.
I didn't assume that the speaker comparison would turn into a complete sound analysis :)
The room is inappropriate, but I have a lot of space and it allows me to move the speakers depending on what I'm listening to.
Listening to music is a unique pleasure for me, but I don't do it every day. When I do that I move the speakers.
The pictures show how I do it now and how I plan with the new speakers. I have two options:
1. Keep the 5.1 system as Home Cinema, and buy new speakers and a new stereo amplifier with music listening.
2. replace the front speakers with new ones and use 2.0 mode for listening to music at a home cinema center and 5.0 mode for watching movies.
I currently have a Harman Kardon AVR 165 (95W per channel at 8ohm), and I know it’s not the happiest solution, but in case I didn’t buy a separate amp I would buy a better one.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-04-30 at 11.36.16.png
    Screenshot 2022-04-30 at 11.36.16.png
    105.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot 2022-04-30 at 11.35.51.png
    Screenshot 2022-04-30 at 11.35.51.png
    109.2 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot 2022-04-30 at 11.35.43.png
    Screenshot 2022-04-30 at 11.35.43.png
    111.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot 2022-04-30 at 11.35.35.png
    Screenshot 2022-04-30 at 11.35.35.png
    116.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Reactions: Tonestar1

sfanes

Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
You need to get the amp then listen to those speakers with it.
Will it have enough to drive them? Not sure on that one.
Question: why only Dynaudio?
Why such a vintage amp?

Because I have unassuming funds for HIFI. I enjoy listening to music, but I don't do it that often. I found some offers of used equipment that is in good condition, which I had the opportunity to listen to before and I was satisfied. I mean brands, not individual models.
I listened to some KEF reference models, some Sonus Faber models, some Infinity Reference, JBL, Bowers & Wilkins, Wharfedale, but nothing impressed me like Dynaudio...

Last edited:
Because I have unassuming funds for HIFI. I enjoy listening to music, but I don't do it that often. I found some offers of used equipment that is in good condition, which I had the opportunity to listen to before and I was satisfied. I mean brands, not individual models.
I listened to some KEF reference models, some Sonus Faber models, some Infinity Reference, JBL, Bowers & Wilkins, Wharfedale, but nothing impressed me like Dynaudio...
Just out of curiosity, when you listened to these speakers, what were they bring powered by?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts