HiFi / Home Cinema Combi ...Amp & Speaker Help

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi All

I need your expert advice to an amp and speakers selection for my new home cinema set up.

I have two dilemmas, firstly I would like my system set up for home cinema / movie sound and my wife wants the system to be mainly HiFi sound is there a happy medium ???a To keep the peace I will say HiFi over Home Cinema but using an AV Amp.

The TV I have just purchased is the new Panasonic TH-37-PX-80 which is superb and would like to set up a good sound system to go with.

I would’ve liked the Onkyo TX-SR605 as a receiver but is too large in size for the TV cabinet to fit alongside my Pioneer DVR. Max amp size 2 options: 1/… 82cm W x 12cm H x 45 D or 2/… 42 cm W x 18cm H x 45cm D. Listened to the Arcam Movie Solo was very good but £2000 out of my price range.

My second dilemma is the speaker package. Can you advise some components or options that would make a great HiFi sound that is good with Home Cinema. Fronts can be up to Bookshelf size, they will be wall bracket mounted, Rears need to be as small as possible or flat to wall as my setee backs on to the wall where the rears are to be mounted. In the magazine it states for style the KEF KHT 3005SE are the best in my price range. Saying that we heard these in a demo linked to a Yamaha amp and my wife said they were good but did not sound stunning with music. We also heard the Q Accoustics 1010i package with the same amp were worse and were not impressed musically with them. The centre speaker would preferably be smaller rather than larger. The sub can be any size. Listened to the Arcam Muso’s as fronts thought these were great but do they work well with another amp? Room size is 24’ x 11.5’ through lounge divided by square arch, lounge section being 15’ x 11.5’.

I have a £1200 to £1400 max budget.

I’m sure this is not going to be easy but I value your opinions and it would certainly help on the home front.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Your main problem will be receiver size. Most AV receivers at the moment (until they start getting really expensive) are 17cm tall, give or take a mm or two. Speakers wise, you have lots within your budget that you could go for. I have the Monitor Audio Radius R90 speakers as my rear speakers. They would do a fine job as your front two as well. Or if you wanted a bit bigger, the RS1s and have the R90s as your rears. However, the matching centre speakers are fairly sizeable - I am constantly told off about it! They do look good though.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your reply Gerrardsnails, 17cm tall for the AV receiver is ok if it is a max of 42cm wide, any ideas would be great.

The R90's for rears are going to be to deep unfortunately as the wall/end of room is very close to the setee where the speaker is to be fitted, but an idea for the fronts will try and listen to them.

Once again the centre speaker is too large no where to position it. I was going to mount it in front of the TV so height will be an issue. I think I willstart with the amp and go from there but appreciate your imput.

TRENDING THREADS