Dynaudio Focus 220 mk 2 v Proac Studio 140 mk 2

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I am looking to get the above mentioned Proac speakers but have been offered some of the Dynaudios for a similar price and was wondering if anyone has heard them.

I have listened to many speakers around the price bracket and I like the Proacs smooth delivery and bass at low volumes,my second choice would have been PMC GB1i or Audio Vector K series and have discounted speakers from Spendor, B&W, Monitor Audio.
I have had a quick demonstration of the Dynaudio X32 but prefer the better control and sweetness of the Proac's, the only speakers I would probably look to buy instead of these ,so far, would be Proac D18's which I think are better but don't give me the bass at low volumes of the 140's.

I would have to travel a fair bit to listen to the Dyn 220's but was hoping for some feedback from anyone before I decide if this is a worthwhile option for me.

Listen to mainly older rock, reggae, soul music, some jazz and classical, my amp is Roksan Caspian m2, room size 3.5m x 5m and is carpeted, speakers sited currently on slate tiles.

Any views appreciated,thanks.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Shanka said:
Hi, I am looking to get the above mentioned Proac speakers but have been offered some of the Dynaudios for a similar price and was wondering if anyone has heard them. I have listened to many speakers around the price bracket and I like the Proacs smooth delivery and bass at low volumes,my second choice would have been PMC GB1i or Audio Vector K series and have discounted speakers from Spendor, B&W, Monitor Audio. I have had a quick demonstration of the Dynaudio X32 but prefer the better control and sweetness of the Proac's, the only speakers I would probably look to buy instead of these ,so far, would be Proac D18's which I think are better but don't give me the bass at low volumes of the 140's. I would have to travel a fair bit to listen to the Dyn 220's but was hoping for some feedback from anyone before I decide if this is a worthwhile option for me. Listen to mainly older rock, reggae, soul music, some jazz and classical, my amp is Roksan Caspian m2, room size 3.5m x 5m and is carpeted, speakers sited currently on slate tiles. Any views appreciated,thanks.

Hi Shanka,
Sorry, but got no experience of the Dyns, but I am a big fan of ProAc, so would highly recommend the 140's.
You mentioned you liked the Audio Vector... did you manage to listen to them? I'm currently toying with replacing my 130's with either the D18's which I'll be demoeing on Sat and some AV S3 Supers, which unfortunately I can't demo, but have been offered an extremely good part ex deal.

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

Yes, I heard the audio vector ki signatures which were great, vastly better than Spendors and B&W CM8's to my ears but I did not directly compare with the Proacs', I personally feel the Proacs were smoother and sweeter sounding, the bass is more on the 140's but I would say the D18 is a better all round speaker.

However I have not heard the Audo Vector S series so would suggest try and demo both with your amp, should be fun, would be interested in how you get on.

Good Luck

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Shanka said:
Hi, Yes, I heard the audio vector ki signatures which were great, vastly better than Spendors and B&W CM8's to my ears but I did not directly compare with the Proacs', I personally feel the Proacs were smoother and sweeter sounding, the bass is more on the 140's but I would say the D18 is a better all round speaker. However I have not heard the Audo Vector S series so would suggest try and demo both with your amp, should be fun, would be interested in how you get on. Good Luck

Managed to get a home demo of the AV's now, will update my thread next week.
Cheers
Mac

A

Anonymous

I've been listening to my friends ProAc 140 MKii on a Quad 66, 606 setup, and they sound pretty darn good. But, I feel the D18s are much smoother. This other friend of mine is running a Jadis 40 watt tube amp with ProAc D18 and let me tell you, the sound is SWEET. And I myself am running an Arcam 18 with very recently acquired ProAc Studio 100s. I still have a lot of running in to do but they are sounding sweet already. I say stick with the ProAcs.

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
This thread already feels so much pro Proac but I will still say that Proacs are much better option.. My opinion comes from the standmount speakers and I tried most of the Dynaudio range (Excite, Focus as well as Contour). Then switched to Proacs.

The difference to me is quite easy to understand. Dynaudios work great with a particular set of amplifiers where as Proac work wonderful with a a wider range of amplifier. I attribute it to the more neutral to sweet range of Proacs where as Dynaudios are more aggressive at the bottom frequency range but definetly in a good way. However it gets too overwhelming for any continuous sessions of living.. On the other hand Proac can only get better with a better amplifier and still deliver even with the moderate ones too!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The ProAcs will be far easier a speaker for your Roksan to control, especially in the lower frequencies. The Dynaudios tend to be a little overpowering in this respect, so need plenty of space to breathe, and plenty of control to help keep it in check. The ProAc is a tighter, more focussed performance, ironically :)

You should find that the D18's produce a slightly warmer sound to the 140's, and bass should come across better. Or maybe it's just that the amp you heard with them wasn't up to the task of bringing that out of them.

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

Thanks for input greatly appreciated, I listened to both Proac's with a Caspian m2 at a highly reputable coventry store !!

I did think th e D18's are better as stated at the top but budget and low volume bass are a prority however if someone knows a pair of ex dem D18's I know I could be tempted !!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts