dynaudio focus 110

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
hello: i want to buy Dynaudio focus 110 for my bedroom(4.5mx4m), i am not sure it is suitable for my bedroom, or the focus 140 is better. usually i just listen classic music and some jazz. Also I want buy Naim nait 5i-2 amp to 100. it ok or not. According to my budget($1500, $2000,$2500) for amp, is any better one ? my english is not good. sorry.thanks.

best regards

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
hi, i think the 110 will have more then enough to fill your room. i don't think the naim amp will get the best out of them though. the dyn's really love a powerful amp, otherwise they will sound loose in the bass. i would say 100 watts as a minimum. if you can't afford a powerful enough amp, i would get easier to drive speakers. apparently the 140's are even harder to drive. the other slight downer about the focus's is that they only sound at their best at high volumes. i'm considering changing mine because of this. might have to go for floorstanders to get the same bass though.

A

Anonymous

You should try the active version of the Focus 110: Dynaudio Focus 110A.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Interesting. They seem to have low powered amplifiers. I assume that because they control the drivers directly it's not such a big issue but 50W/woofer seems not too much by active standards. Having said all that I recently listened to a Naim XS and it sounds more powerful than some other higher powered amps, at least to a point/level.

A

Anonymous

I think Naim goes reasonably well with Dynaudio, so long as one can afford a NAP500.

In the active system though those watts go further because, as you say, they are attached directly to the drive units.

A

Anonymous

Dyns do bass very well because they have big magnets and allow a long and tight throw. The downside? Large pieces of ferrous require a large quantity of current to control. Some amps have stiff power supplies, i.e. can supply high current transients, some do not. The Naim Nait is a pretty stiff power supply.

From what I've read about Cyrus and Dyns, you need to stick an XPower up them to get a sound worthy of the acclaim the Focus 110 have gained. Any less current and it'll struggle and sound warm and thick.

That said, audition the kit and see what you think. Very good speakers. I found that they had too much bass for me!

igglebert:Dyns do bass very well because they have big magnets and allow a long and tight throw. The downside? Large pieces of ferrous require a large quantity of current to control. Some amps have stiff power supplies, i.e. can supply high current transients, some do not. The Naim Nait is a pretty stiff power supply. From what I've read about Cyrus and Dyns, you need to stick an XPower up them to get a sound worthy of the acclaim the Focus 110 have gained. Any less current and it'll struggle and sound warm and thick. That said, audition the kit and see what you think. Very good speakers. I found that they had too much bass for me!

Fair play. I mentioned it because it's being used in a small-ish room, where cranking up the volume isn't quite so essential.

A

Anonymous

Boils down to taste in the end. Low volume = less demand on the amp so it makes sense. As per normal, where there's any doubt audition!
emotion-1.gif

igglebert:Boils down to taste in the end. Low volume = less demand on the amp so it makes sense. As per normal, where there's any doubt audition!
emotion-1.gif

Yup agreed - when you consider the Naim is [I think] 50w per channel and the Cyrus 8 is 70 I think the Cyrus makes a tad more sense. The only other consideration with the Cyrus is its style. If you can live with it, job done.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts