Dynaudio Focus 110 stereo image problem.

RCduck7

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
Hi, i just bought a pair of Dynaudio Focus 110's on the 2nd hand market. I can't seem to get to get a proper stereo image out of them no matter what i do. I have 3 other pair of speakers that i compared to the 110's and those other pairs do that stereo imaging very well.
You know, with voices dead center between speakers. One of the pairs i have is in fact a Dynaudio X16's. I tried to place the 110's in many different ways, close to a wall, 1 meter from the wall, toe in or not, closer together, further apart, even placed them in an other room. I also have a carpet on the floor and even used other room treatment on walls.
At best i only get a hint that a voice is in the center. The amp i'm using is a class D of 250 watts into 8 ohms of the later generation. They make my other speakers do that trick very well. I do get a very good sound from the 110's from top to bottom but i hear the sound is more coming from the speakers, they don't dissapear in the room like other speakers do and certainly don't image well. It makes me wonder if something is wrong with the speakers or is this simply how they were designed??

RCduck7

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
Reversing on one speaker the connections i didn't do yet. On both i did try.

I did found pics from the crossovers on the net from someone who performed a before and after upgrade. I could check this out to see if components are still original and wiring correct.

Gray

I could check this out to see if components are still original and wiring correct.
Might be a good idea.
Check both (crossover and driver) ends of internal wires.
Hopefully removal of mid/bass drivers will let you see everything.

From photos, looks like the crossover may not be directly attached to the terminals (as it often is) so there's another couple of wires that could be reversed.

Hard to imagine a repairer / modifier being careless enough to reconnect incorrectly, but you never know......

Last edited:

RCduck7

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
I reversed the connections on one speaker and yes!!! I finaly got a good stereo image. I opened up both speakers and all components looked original. The wires on the terminals on both speakers looked in the correct order, on the tweeters to but on one of the mid/bass drivers they were reversed. On the tweeters you can clearly see what the "+" and the "-" connections is but on the mid/bass driver it's not so clear. There are no "+" or "-" marked there ... weird. One side of the connections had a label though, so i figured out that would be the "+" side. Again i played some music on the speakers without changing anything. It looked as if one driver was going inside instead of outside when the music was thumping. So i changed that one, listened to pink noise and everything sounds ok now, voices in the center of the speakers, the lot.
Where it went wrong in the first place i don't know. I will contact the seller about this. Imagine this happened when he bought the speakers. He listened to these speakers the wrong way for all these years.

Many thanks for helping me out here!

Reactions: Al ears and Gray

Gray

He listened to these speakers the wrong way for all these years.
He must think his new speakers sound odd :)

You did well to see the cones going opposite ways to the beat.
(To make it easier, people often apply a 1.5 volt battery, noting which terminal its + needs to be on to get a forward cone movement).
You're right, they often only bother to label the + on a mid/bass driver, maybe with a red dot.

Glad yours are good now (y)

Reactions: RCduck7

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts