Dynaudio Emit M10 or Elac BS 403?

the ugly duckling

Nov 7, 2015
Visit site
Hi.

I listen mainly to contemporary electronic and a bit of classical music, and my system includes the Rega Apollo-R cd player, Rega Brio-R amp, and Wharfedale Diamond 220 speakers on Atacama Moseco 6 stands.

I'm planning to upgrade the loudpeakers, because I feel that, although fine sounding, they can't quite match the level of performance the source and amp are capable of.

After some research came across two interesting options: Dynaudio Emit M10 and Elac BS 403, the latter an older model, slightly more expensive, but with a massive drop from the original price.

I own another system, a bass heavy one on a bigger room, but these speakers will have to sit a maximum of 20cm from the back wall of a small room. The Dynaudio has a backward facing port and the Elac has a downward one, like the Wharfedale Diamond 220.

It will not be possible for me to listen before buying, as there are no stores that stock these products in the portuguese city where I live. So I will have to choose based on faith alone, or with your much appreciated help.

Thank you.

the ugly duckling said:
Hi.

I listen mainly to contemporary electronic and a bit of classical music, and my system includes the Rega Apollo-R cd player, Rega Brio-R amp, and Wharfedale Diamond 220 speakers on Atacama Moseco 6 stands. I'm planning to upgrade the loudpeakers, because I feel that, although fine sounding, they can't quite match the level of performance the source and amp are capable of.

After some research came across two interesting options: Dynaudio Emit M10 and Elac BS 403, the latter an older model, slightly more expensive, but with a massive drop from the original price.

I own another system, a bass heavy one on a bigger room, but these speakers will have to sit a maximum of 20cm from the back wall of a small room. The Dynaudio has a backward facing port and the Elac has a downward one, like the Wharfedale Diamond 220.

It will not be possible for me to listen before buying, as there are no stores that stock these products in the portuguese city where I live. So I will have to choose based on faith alone, or with your much appreciated help.

Thank you.

I have not heard the Elac's but my thoughts are, if you cannot give the Emits more room then don't buy them.

the ugly duckling said:
No gasolin, nowadays the Elacs cost €850 (£730) at most retailers. As I wrote, it was a huge price drop.

This is a typical problem that we get a lot on this forum with the British contingent, we are not really aware of what the cost of various items abroad actually are.

Whilst here the current price for the Elacs is around £1479 I have no idea what they are in Portugal.

To the OP I would say check that that price you have is actually for a pair and not a single speaker.

I would also like to ask why, if you cannot audition either of these speakers, did you choose these?

Be aware that, although these speakers are more expensive than your Wharfdales, when used in a less than ideal position they may not turn out to be the 'upgrade' you had hoped for.

the ugly duckling

Nov 7, 2015
Visit site
I'm afraid you're both right and I'm wrong.

It seems Elac provides the prices per unit, which I think is strange, as I've been reading What Hi-Fi and checking prices at retailer websites for four years now, and it's the first time I realise the given price for a speaker model is not for a pair. I know it's the usual practice with professional audio, but not with hi-fi.

http://ultimate-audio.eu/wp-content/uploads/Tabela-Elac.pdf

Al ears: I picked the Dynaudio Emit M10 for the great reviews, and because it is probably a little more bass light than the M20. I've always thought some Elac models are quite attractive, and there are several great reviews online about the BS 403. The reflex port in this one fires downwards, like my Wharfedales, which I think releases an ideal bass intensity for the physical limitations of the room.

I would really appreciate if you could suggest standmount alternatives, about £450-£700, suitable for my system, room and musical taste.

Many thanks for your contribution.

the ugly duckling said:

It seems Elac provides the prices per unit, which I think is strange, as I've been reading What Hi-Fi and checking prices at retailer websites for four years now, and it's the first time I realise the given price for a speaker model is not for a pair. I know it's the usual practice with professional audio, but not with hi-fi.

Al ears: I picked the Dynaudio Emit M10 for the great reviews, and because it is probably a little more bass light than the M20. I've always thought some Elac models are quite attractive, and there are several great reviews online about the BS 403. The reflex port in this one fires downwards, like my Wharfedales, which I think releases an ideal bass intensity for the physical limitations of the room.

I would really appreciate if you could suggest standmount alternatives, about £450-£700, suitable for my system, room and musical taste.

For that sort of money, musical tastes and room size, you are not going to find much to beat the new Quad S2.

I know it has a rear port but is designed to work well close to a rear wall and their new ribbon tweeter is brilliant, ideal for classical but excellent all round. Build quality is excellent and they will likely take any future upgrades you may make on the equipment front.

The Z Series are even better with their slot-ported rear but unfortunately they are twice the price.

As always though I would suggest auditioning, irrespective of how far you have to travel to do it, make a day of it.. ;-)

gasolin

the ugly duckling said:

Why don't just get the dynaudio stands?

http://www.dynaudio.com/home-audio/accessories/stand-6/

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Go for the dynaudio they sound incredible for the price and will work fine 20cm from the wall.stunnig achievement from dynaudio iv had mine for about 2 months now and still blowing me away how good these sound

the ugly duckling

Nov 7, 2015
Visit site
Great read your comments.

Al ears:
If I would listen only classical and folk, I would surely opt for the Quad. Thing is, I mostly listen to electronic stuff: IDM, experimental ambient, techno, tech house. I think those styles might require more lively, punchy sounding speakers.

gasolin:
I don't understand how buying new stands might be helpful. I already own a pair of Atacama Moseco filled with Atabites and think they are amazing. It resulted in a huge increase in performance with the same system.
I have a friend who owns the Q Acoustics Concept 20, with Marantz 6005 series cd and amp, and think they're disappointing. The Wharfedale Diamond 220 is massively better.

seemorebtts:
Have you tested the Emit about 20cm from the wall without port bungs?

To everyone:
Do you think the Rega Brio-R has enough power to drive the Dynaudio Emit M10?

the ugly duckling said:

Al ears: If I would listen only classical and folk, I would surely opt for the Quad. Thing is, I mostly listen to electronic stuff: IDM, experimental ambient, techno, tech house. I think those styles might require more lively, punchy sounding speakers.

gasolin: I don't understand how buying new stands might be helpful. I already own a pair of Atacama Moseco filled with Atabites and think they are amazing. It resulted in a huge increase in performance with the same system. I have a friend who owns the Q Acoustics Concept 20, with Marantz 6005 series cd and amp, and think they're disappointing. The Wharfedale Diamond 220 is massively better.

seemorebtts: Have you tested the Emit about 20cm from the wall without port bungs?

To everyone: Do you think the Rega Brio-R has enough power to drive the Dynaudio Emit M10?

What makes you think Quad are only good for these genres?

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
the ugly duckling said:

Al ears: If I would listen only classical and folk, I would surely opt for the Quad. Thing is, I mostly listen to electronic stuff: IDM, experimental ambient, techno, tech house. I think those styles might require more lively, punchy sounding speakers.

gasolin: I don't understand how buying new stands might be helpful. I already own a pair of Atacama Moseco filled with Atabites and think they are amazing. It resulted in a huge increase in performance with the same system. I have a friend who owns the Q Acoustics Concept 20, with Marantz 6005 series cd and amp, and think they're disappointing. The Wharfedale Diamond 220 is massively better.

seemorebtts: Have you tested the Emit about 20cm from the wall without port bungs? 

To everyone: Do you think the Rega Brio-R has enough power to drive the Dynaudio Emit M10? 
yes never even bothered using them as they sounded so good

gasolin

the ugly duckling said:

Al ears: If I would listen only classical and folk, I would surely opt for the Quad. Thing is, I mostly listen to electronic stuff: IDM, experimental ambient, techno, tech house. I think those styles might require more lively, punchy sounding speakers.

gasolin: I don't understand how buying new stands might be helpful. I already own a pair of Atacama Moseco filled with Atabites and think they are amazing. It resulted in a huge increase in performance with the same system. I have a friend who owns the Q Acoustics Concept 20, with Marantz 6005 series cd and amp, and think they're disappointing. The Wharfedale Diamond 220 is massively better.

seemorebtts: Have you tested the Emit about 20cm from the wall without port bungs?

To everyone: Do you think the Rega Brio-R has enough power to drive the Dynaudio Emit M10?

No you need a bit more power, the Nad D3020 was actually a bit underpowering the kef LS50, the nad has 50 watt in 8ohm 1% distortion så the rega brio r is not enough, i had around 85 watt pr channel and that was okay for me

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
gasolin said:
the ugly duckling said:

No you need a bit more power, the Nad D3020 was actually a bit underpowering the kef LS50, the nad has 50 watt in 8ohm 1% distortion så the rega brio r is not enough, i had around 85 watt pr channel and that was okay for me

I think the nad is actually 30 watts into 8ohms. In real terms the difference between 72 watts from the rega and 85 watts is very small. Are you saying these amps/ speakers combos are good or bad from experience with them, or is it just calculations from the various numbers? (I know you had them speakers and they are relatively low sensitivity)

gasolin

muljao said:
gasolin said:
the ugly duckling said:

I think the nad is actually 30 watts into 8ohms. In real terms the difference between 72 watts from the rega and 85 watts is very small. Are you saying these amps/ speakers combos are good or bad from experience with them, or is it just calculations from the various numbers? (I know you had them speakers and they are relatively low sensitivity)

The emit 20 has less than 84 db sensitivity, havn't seen a review where they have made measurements of the emit 10's sensitivity

50 watt pr channel with the nad D3020 with 1% distortion, the kef ls50 is 85 db and 8 ohm speakers, reviews using the nad amp and kef ls50 say it sounds very good but lacks a bit power

50 watt pr channel http://www.soundandvision.com/content/nad-d-3020-hybrid-digital-integrated-amplifier-sv-labs-measures#E6x6khAiUVBK0P2x.97

Reg brio r, they use the 1khz to test,see how much power there is with 1 % distortion (not shure how much power the amp really has at 20-20.000hz from both channels in 8ohm) the amp is not at all power full, mabye 2x40 watt in 8 ohm (mabye more with 220-240 volt) less than that in 4 ohm,even less in 2 ohm, it seems the rega brio r doesn't like low impedans speakers, emit 10 are 6 ohm speakers http://www.stereophile.com/content/rega-brio-integrated-amplifier-measurements#XGIzjPzac5TiMkSX.97

Something like the Marantz PM8005, Nad C356BEE, Cambridge cax80 if you occasionally like to play loud music with a pair of emit 10's

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts