Dynamics : Rega DAC versus Saturn

nbaptista

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
A friend of mine told me he had both for a demo, and he says that the Rega DAC is more relaxed, like the Apollo and the Saturn more dynamic. I´d never had the chance to make a comparison, but I can´t believe that Rega made a DAC which lacks dynamics compared with the previous Saturn cd player. Anyone who knows both DAC and Saturn, I would like to get comments on this subject!
progress.gif

WX

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Ah Ok, I thought you might mention the 'new' Saturn's DAC part with the a-sync USB connection and perhaps were hoping too when eventually a newer model of the Rega DAC is on it's way.

;) :? (in another post someone mentioned a price-cut: "£100 off a NEW Rega DAC" )

But in answer to your question... I doubt there's really much difference soundwise betweens those 2 Rega's. (technically they are one and the same)

Perhaps subtle changes when listening again on another time of day and/or different music etc. etc. might be more realistic. :shifty: :beer:

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
i have listened to a rega dac in a home demo. To me it behaved like a high frequency filter. So it took the edge of forward/bright recordings and on others took away "the air" on other recordings. the stereo image lost its 3 dimensionality on all the music. So all in all it was a bit too much of a compromise.

To be honest opinions don't mean too much - hear it yourself in the context of the system it will be in. Then, it will be nice to know your "opinion"

tonky

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
tonky said:
i have listened to a rega dac in a home demo. To me it behaved like a high frequency filter. So it took the edge of forward/bright recordings and on others took away "the air" on other recordings. the stereo image lost its 3 dimensionality on all the music. So all in all it was a bit too much of a compromise.

To be honest opinions don't mean too much - hear it yourself in the context of the system it will be in. Then, it will be nice to know your "opinion"

tonky

...and compared to what!????

TRENDING THREADS