DVI to HDMI does it work?

Ragworm

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
I recently bought a converter cable to convert the DVI-D output of my PC to HDMI so that I can view it on my Toshiba 32WLT66 TV. So far I have been unsuccessful. Neither the PC nor my laptop recognise the TV as a connected monitor and enable the port. Presumably there's a signal that the PC video adapter is looking for and not seeing. Anyone had any success with this? Am I just wasting my time?

strobo

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Not sure what your PC setup is, but my nVidia graphics drivers have an option to switch on the HD output, and select between 720/1080 etc. I'm guessing this might be what you need to activate.

That said, my PC is sending DVI to two DVI enabled monitors (one Iiyama 19", and one Samsung monitor/TV combo). And I can't switch on the HD output to send the relevant signal to the Samsung (contrary to what the Samsung manual suggests I should be able to do). However the Samsung only has DVI input - no HDMI - this suggests to me that a Samsung driver is required. But which needs to some first - installing the driver, or activating the HD - I have no idea.

For now I can't really be bothered to mess about with it. It's not a problem for me as the Iiyama is my main monitor, but it can be a little disturbing when things don't do what you expect.

Try your graphics driver options Alan - you might find what you're looking for in there.

Ragworm

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion, but I've already tried exploring the various driver options and also downloading the latest drivers. I've also tried different resolutions and refresh rates but no joy.

Ragworm

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
I doubt it. I haven't got to the showing content stage. All I am trying to do is get the PC to display the desktop on the TV. As far as the PC is concerned, it can't see the TV as a connected monitor and refuses to enable the port on the graphics card.

A

Anonymous

HDCP encrypts the mesage so that only hdcp ready panels can unscramble it. a graphics card outputting in hdcp must be connected to an hdcp ready panel. For further details; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDCP

A

Anonymous

hi,

i have had my desktop pc running on my plasma through dvi as i have no hdmi socket and i am still using the dvi for my dvd player.all i had to do is go in my tv setup and chose pc as i had no signal before i done this and now ive changed it back to RGB for my dvd player.have you tried this?maybe then the pc will recognise the screen.the only time i had to mess with the graphics properties was to centralise the desktop on the tv screen.hope this helps.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts