D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Only if you have a HD-DVD or BLU-RAY player Tallyho. The dvd you have is the right one and was mastered at 1080p then downscalled to 576p for dvd but the reason it says for component output was back in 2003 when it was remastered HDMI was not exactly comonplace amongst DVD players.
emotion-15.gif

A

Anonymous

Once again DJ..thanks my firend!

Also attn: your partner in KRIME, namley HARRIS ( alias ODEON UK Ltd)

Listen another thing! When I turn off the power button on the TV a small blue light stays on which part illuminates the speaker strip at the bottom-Nice effect but....is that the Standby?

I eventually got my SKY Remote working with the DIGIBOX by punching the SAMSUNG CODR of 0060,. The TV and also the DVD Player is great.

Some reviews suggest selecting the HDMI to 720 X 567p instead of the 1280 X 720p or 1920 X 1080i.

In fact I do prefer it at 1080i where the picture is much sharper.

That's the what SKYHD tramsits at isn't it guys? 1080i?

Finally once the TV has settled down after the 200 hours of use to prevent Screen Burm, I will stick the DVE in, and try to calibrate the picture settings to a better level.

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Ahh that anoying little blue light! Yep that is the factory set standby mode light but fret not you can change its function and even have it on perminatly if you so wish, but I personally prefer it off perminatly. To adjgust its useage press the MENU button on the remote and go to the SETUP options, there you will see a option labeled LIGHT EFECT, here you can chose if you want this little blue light ON,OFF, STANDBY MODE or WATCHING MODE.

As to your other question about which setting to opt for via HDMI, there is no right or wrong answer to this but simply a case of try differnt combinations and stick with the one you are most happy with. Now I have my SKYHD box set to 1080i which does look slightly sharper over 720p,and as far as I am aware this is the format in which most HDTV is shot, But I have my Denon dvd player set to 720p as I dont see the point of upscaleing a dvd to 1080i only to downscale it back to 768p of the panel.
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

[quote user="D.J.KRIME"]

I have my Denon dvd player set to 720p as I dont see the point of upscaleing a dvd to 1080i only to downscale it back to 768p of the panel.
emotion-21.gif

[/quote]

So : By setting your Denon to 720p the TV automatically adjusts the Picture to fit 720p?

Also what would happen if you fed the TV with say a 1080p output from a Blu Ray Player for example-Would it too be downscaled by the TV to 768p or 720p? I reckon it would be 768p?

Yep-As far as SKY HD is concerned I thought as much.......1080i which is what I currently set my HDMI selction to on my Samsung DVD HD870 which does seem to give a better pricture. The thing is if I am setting it to 1080i, what is the TV downscaling back to.......768p ?

Cheers

A

Anonymous

Flaming hell DJ......I lost my temper with this DVE thing and flung it out of the house like a Discus. Don't know what langauge they were usuing in the DISC but it sure weren't Anglais....or even English for that matter. Phew.....I will just fiddle around with the TV's settings until I am happy with what I see before me.

Just a thought, form where can you get hold of someone who will come along to your house to calibrate your TV and what''s the likely cost of this?

A

Anonymous

Yes, how much does calibtation cost? Must be someone out there who can throw some light on this. The only thing I have managed to find out is that the ISF C3 costs between $350-$500 stateside. www.greyscalesolutions.com and a few others seem to offer a similar service over here. I'll give them a call tomorrow and post anything I find out.

Is another solution (apart from the DVE disc) the ColorVision Spyder ?(Amazon various) . After using it yourself you could always get back some of the outlay by offering a local service.

What do the What HiFi offices use ??

A

Anonymous

If the Spyder is anything like that blasted DVE disc I might end up squashing it!

A

Anonymous

The RSPCS now have your number !. £250+vat for ISF calibration which includes two input devices.

I've got the 2006 DVE (hd-dvd/dv combo) but can't tell you what language it is in as it is still sealed as I am intending to sell it on and then order the Blu-ray dvd/dvd combo DVE - don't ask !.

It would be interesting to get some feedback re. the Spyder.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="david1997"]

It would be interesting to get some feedback re. the Spyder.

[/quote]

Just do a search at the top of the page for Spyder, and you'll find loads of results

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Tallyho"] Just a thought, form where can you get hold of someone who will come along to your house to calibrate your TV and what''s the likely cost of this?[/quote]

You can find a list of certified ISF calibrators at www.imagingscience.com Best to look at those who have approved calibration hardware as there isn't a lot of point without it!

Note that different people charge different rates for calibration and some include travel costs and some do not.

HTH

Neil

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts