dumb blonde needs new speakers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
Just got a richer sounds VIP email an they have the tannoy revolution DC6 for £399 which sounds like a steal to me! Not heard them but they just got a what hifi award!

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that advice bay 24 , they are a great looking speaker ,but i would prefer a floor stander, would these tannoys be better than a £400.00 floor stander and give a good bass and clear treble if so i may reconsider my choice thanks deb

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
We might just all come clean ...

... I'm ole Dave, you know ... the one from the big ten but 'er indoors and those grey suites wont let me play out my secret desires nor let me indulge in the weirder aspects of modern everyday life which you all know, I am very familiar with. That I have an addictive and obsessive personality won't come as a surprise but you may find it interesting that I share in with likeminded individuals and voters in this, the most pointless, self-indulgent, needlessly expensive and solitary hobby. -

Rest assured, I dont actually spend my own money, its yours. -

You can also follow me on Tranny International under my synonym and buy my soon to be released fictional novel 'Samsonite, The Inside Story'.

Warmest regards

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
debbie0607 said:
Thanks for that advice bay 24 , they are a great looking speaker ,but i would prefer a floor stander, would these tannoys be better than a £400.00 floor stander and give a good bass and clear treble if so i may reconsider my choice thanks deb

Apologies, I did not click the link, I thought the DC6 was a floostander but that is the DC6T (doh!). I have found that for money up to about £500 a good stand mount speaker will be "better" than a comparable price floor stander (IMO) but it depends on a lot of things like how loud you listen to your music, what type of music you like, do you like detail, neutral, warm presentation, etc.

If you have a huge room and like serious volume Floorstanders are probably the way to go but I have quite small standmount speakers and the bass that comes out of them is more than enough for me. I think the only way to know is to have a listen to a few options preferably in your room (or a demo room of a similar size).

Remember with stand mount speakers you need to factor in money for the stands!

GAJA

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi, don't discount stand mounting speakers! (please!). I just downgraded from a set of ATC SCM 40's to KEF Q300's, the Kefs are bloody amazing speakers, well worth an audition, bought mine at Seven Oaks Sound and Vision, c.a £400, best money I've ever spent on speakers! (and sound much better than the ATC's which were over £2000!

Cheers. GAJA :dance:

A

Anonymous

hi thanks for the update ,i am seriously thinking stand mounts now and some decent stands, are the kefs that good also the tannoy dc6 , and would they be better than the bw 685, its not that i like the music too loud, rock /pop etc but i like a clean warm bass and clear treble at low volume as well

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
debbie0607 said:
hi thanks for the update ,i am seriously thinking stand mounts now and some decent stands, are the kefs that good also the tannoy dc6 , and would they be better than the bw 685, its not that i like the music too loud, rock /pop etc but i like a clean warm bass and clear treble at low volume as well

Ha!! So from starting a thread to narrow down your choices you have now seriously increased your options! So many choices for stand mounts at that price level!

A

Anonymous

ha it now seems i got so much more choice and demo's to do, and more confusion cheers

John Duncan

Agreed that a standmount and stands at your budget will probably be a better speaker than a floorstander at your budget, though TBF the 'stander models you've mentioned are no slouches - I thought the Q Acoustics especially were very good. However, personally I'd be looking at KEF, Usher or Tannoy standmounts.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
GAJA said:
Hi, don't discount stand mounting speakers! (please!). I just downgraded from a set of ATC SCM 40's to KEF Q300's, the Kefs are bloody amazing speakers, well worth an audition, bought mine at Seven Oaks Sound and Vision, c.a £400, best money I've ever spent on speakers! (and sound much better than the ATC's which were over £2000!

Cheers. GAJA :dance:

Careful - you'll incur the wrath!

Captain Duff

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Just noticed that there are a few Quad 21L2 floorstanders on ebay from dealers for around the £400 mark inc delivery. Look a decent bargain to me, and it would be an interesting alternative to the more widely available ones already mentioned...

matthewpiano

If you are prepared to consider standmounters, the B&W 685s are still a first rate choice. They've been around for 5 years now but, IMO, they are still as good as any other speaker under £500. They are very balanced and will give you the warm, punchy bass and clear treble you are asking for. Certainly you just won't get equivalent quality of drive units and design in a budget floorstander.

If you are still really struck on a floorstander, Dali speakers always work well with Marantz amps, and the Zensor 5s are one of the best budget towers on the basis of the ones I've heard. The 685s are better though....

John Duncan said:
Agreed that a standmount and stands at your budget will probably be a better speaker than a floorstander at your budget, though TBF the 'stander models you've mentioned are no slouches - I thought the Q Acoustics especially were very good. However, personally I'd be looking at KEF, Usher or Tannoy standmounts.

By the time the OP knocks off about £100 from her budget for decent stands she is not going to have much option with these suggestions unless considering second-hand items.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
read the article and take your conclusions.

Next step, demo the ones you think are suiteble to your space, budget etc...

The best post in this thread by a country mile. Take heed of this ,tis the ONLY WAY to get it right.

Edit. Home Dem not in the bloody shop, complete waste of time. If the Dealer dosnt do home dems then say bye bye and move on.

A

Anonymous

Thanks guys and yes brain is fried , when i choose which speaker to demo ,i will def audition at home thanks for your help.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts