Question Dual mono tube amps: how to get it right?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
My question is why? A very-good valve amp is a very-good valve amp. Monoblocks is fine, but in reality it's more cost, more space, more valves to roll, etc.

With your budget I'd go about it differently. The below amp can be picked up new for around £2200. Until you start spending a vast amount more there's little that I've heard in the valve amp domain that's better. You can then further 'upgrade' this by sticking an excellent preamp in front of it (they have a pre bypass mode).

For £5k you've then got a truly kickass system. I'd then also roll the valves in this. However, you've got a lot of change from your budget to do this if you go this route.

My comments are not speculation btw, I've heard this exact amp in three different systems and it is utterly excellent. Especially considering what it costs.

I've also heard valve amps that cost 5x this amount and they don't sound 5x better.

ATB

Edit: if you get the chance and are in the UK you should go to the Maverick Hifi show. There's a post on this forum with info about where and when. There will be many valve amps there you can hear for yourself to get some inspiration.
Any dealers in the UK?

Amormusic

Mar 12, 2023
Visit site
Wow! The price difference from importing from China in UK spec to buying one from the UK is immense.

I've looked very seriously at buying one of these for myself, and still might once we've moved house. I'd go for an import though and save a few thousand. I know someone else that has successfully done this with no issues.

They are very-very-good valve amps. Back to my edited comment OP. I'm pretty sure there's going to be one of these at the show... plus there will be loads of other valve amps.

If buying an amp, wrap your ears around as many as you can before you spend your cash.

Last edited:

El Puerco Volante

Jul 31, 2024
Visit site
Current idea is the following:

1) Streamer and vinyl player
connected to:
2) single PrimaLuna EVO 400 pre-amplifier
connected to:
3) two PrimaLuna EVO 400 power amplifiers, each running in Mono mode (they have a switch to run them in Mono)
connected to:
4) GoldenEar Triton 2+ via "4" resistance connectors

Anything wrong in this, considering that my goal is to obtain best possible tube sound?

I don't have a problem with additional cost of the double mono amps. I have a problem if I build a system and then I will think that I could have made it better with dual Mono 😁

Amormusic

Mar 12, 2023
Visit site
Have you heard these?

'Best possible'

What about Mastersound, Cayin, Graaf, Audionote, etc. etc. Have you heard these and eliminated them from the running? If not, how do you know what's the best possible if you haven't listened to lots of different options. Perhaps you have.

TRENDING THREADS