DTS-HD & Dolby TrueHD

cball313

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
To notice the difference in the sound of running your system in DTS-HD or Dolby TrueHD would you have to have expensive speakers?The reason I ask is to justify buying the Onkyo 605 over the 505 (I believe that is the only difference) and using it with for instance the KEF 1005

FoxJA

Aug 28, 2007
Visit site
I have some 5 year old Sony SA-VE835 speakers (will replace soon) wired upto a Onkyo TX-SR875.

I haven't had a chance to listen to either of those formats yet as I have no Blu-Rays that have them. I can notice a big improvement when playing uncompresed PCM 5.1 audio so I would think I would notice the improvement when I get a chance to use the new HD formats on my speakers, and your speakers are better.

It may be some time before you get to use the onkyo to decode the new HD formats though as there are currently no Blue ray or HD players that output them (that I know of). PS3 can decode Dolby True HD within the PS3 and send it out as uncompressed audio to the receiver but to date I don't think there are any players that will allow you to use the Onkyo's HD audio decoder.

If it was me - I'd go for the 605 just to be a bit more future proof.

A

Anonymous

I'd be hugely surprised if it made much difference on KEF 1005s. They're just too low resolution for you to notice. Instead of buying the 605 and an HD player, invest in some better speakers and do the rest of your kit justice. You'll really appreciate it. Right now, I'd imagine the 1005s are acting as a bottle neck or weak link in your system. At least they will be unless your DVD player is really nasty. The onkyo amps will do justice to a better set if you can afford it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts