DSOTM & WYWH on vinyl

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I have both the discovery versions of these on CD, however I would like to add the vinyl versions to my record collection.

What are the best versions/label/pressing to get?

I have been given DSOTM by my dad amongst other 70s LPS - It is in pretty bad condition, I have cleaned it a few times it is listenable but quite noisy it is the EMI/Harvest pressing SHVL804

Thanks

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=96168

You may want to read that. Looks like early UK or Japan Pro. The Discovery vinyl is said to be OK.

I have an early UK pressing but not in great shape.

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I have this one (Note, its not actually a Pink version)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dark-Side-The-Moon-Anniversary/dp/B00008AWNY/ref=cm_cmu_pg__header

Sounds OK but really should sell it, not a massive fan of the album :rofl: Only been played around 4-5 times in 3-4 years :roll:

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
stevebrock said:
I have put it twice through the Knosti - to no avail

Ive read some mixed reports about Knosti. Its a pity that record shops/hifi dealers don't offer a cleaning service on decent machines. A gap in the market?

You can get a Moth for £335, good but noisy.

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm sure there are other topics on here regarding LP cleaning but I have been using Record Revirginizer recently and have to say, i am very impressed. Doesn't repair scratches as some martketing literature suggests,but gets all the muck out.

http://www.juno.co.uk/labels/Record+Revirginizer+Australia/

Damn sight cheaper than the record cleaning machines too!

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Well Steve how much spare cash have you got ,lol.

Best DSOTM safe buy. 30th Anniversary* ,in my opinion it blitzs the last effort by a country mile ,not cheap mind . Japanese first issue is very good indeed but tis lap of the gods on condition and mega bucks to boot.

WYWH, erm thats a tricky one for you. Japanese ** 1980 release is again very good but again tis gonna cost ya. Nimbus supercut is the muts nuts but rare as rocking horse muck plus if you have to ask you cant afford it,lol, no Im not selling either. Safe bet I guess would be the latest re-press as for sq ,well after the horror of the recent DSOTM I didnt bother with it. Option two ,but again lap of the gods ,is an alleged ex + original , if the seller lists it as mint,well unless it hasnt been opened it aint mint in my book.

* its not going to be cheap but new copies are out there

** the first Japanese release is pants ,I think it was pressed on recycled dustbin lids.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Floyd

Well Im 42 now, whenI was a young kid - maybe 5/6 I always rememebr the cover of DSOTM in our lounge next to my dads JVC stereo (it even had a big reel-to-reel) it wasnt until my teens that i listened to DSOTM, I really enjoy listening to it as I see it as a journey - I have been yearning after it since my early 20s at which point my dad abandoned vinyl, I got into vinyl a year ago and I knew he had it in his loft - well a few weeks ago he gave me his entire record collection and the highlight was DSOTM and Abbey Rd - Imagine my disappointment when I saw the condition of them! gutted.com

Might try the wood glue trick as a last resort

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Might try the wood glue trick as a last resort

Steve,its a ruddy faff. I know someone who tried it ,I did warn him against it , and he vowed never again and bought an rcm. Its pretty obvious that you are a vinyl nut now so save up some pennies and treat yourself to an rcm , your records deserve one. The Okki Nokki is a good buy for the money ,rarely come up second hand mind. Loricraft are brilliant ( erm a tad expensive ) even rarer second hand.

Your looking circa 400 sponds for the Okki.

Ex dem Lorri circa 1500 sponds if you are feeling flush.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
richardw42 said:
I just bought WYWH on CD. not impressed at all, why do people get so worked up about PF ?

its music fella, we all have different tastes!

personally I am not a massive floyd fan, i just enjoy the music and WYWH is a superb album

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
BigH said:
I heard woodglue works just as well and is much cheaper.

Why don't you give it a try and let us know?

Search YouTube, there's quite a few tutorials. It's messy to do, and ideally you need a spare old idler-drive TT knocking around that you don't mind getting a bit goo'd up. But it seems to work if done correctly.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
At the time of release they sounded so advanced and were brilliant, I now prefer WYWH, DSOTM sounds a bit dated to me now. Hearing them now for th the first time I'm not sure what people would make of them but there seems to be plenty of young fans.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Re this wood glue mullarky. Are there any preferences out there on tinterwebbie for which brand , Titebond ,Gorilla , Evostick ?.

Yes I'm taking the pische.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
stevebrock said:
richardw42 said:
I just bought WYWH on CD. not impressed at all, why do people get so worked up about PF ?

its music fella, we all have different tastes!

personally I am not a massive floyd fan, i just enjoy the music and WYWH is a superb album

steve

im just bitter cos it cost me a tenner.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Hi Steve

WYWH was my ebay biggest nightmare, I was obssesed to buy a 1st press, bought 2 albums and send back the two... I was P¥$$€D with the situation, and frustaded as well!

And one day I was visiting a record shop in Lisbon an just came into my hands a new press copy of WYWH 180 gr ( that one that came closed with a black plastic), with poster, postcard, and a code to online download of the album included!

First I was afraid to buy that copy as I was so unlucky with the previous used ones, I was afraid of the press quality... But the price invite me to buy it, and was the best thing i did!!!

exelent sound quality!

Ref SHVL 814

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
richardw42 said:
im just bitter cos it cost me a tenner.

Maybe try it a few times, may need a few plays to get into. By the way PF are one of the favourite bands of 2 Depeche Mode members and some of their music has certainly influence DM, just look up "One of these days" and DM.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I've listened to it a few times, its far from crap, but it doesn't really do much for me.

I think any comparison to DM is subtle and there's bound to be a bit in their as PF were so influential.

The two band members. Alan Wilder left getting on for twenty years ago, although he does the odd remix for them, Andy Fletcher has zero creative influence on the band (he'll admit to that).

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
richardw42 said:
I've listened to it a few times, its far from crap, but it doesn't really do much for me.

I think any comparison to DM is subtle and there's bound to be a bit in their as PF were so influential.

The two band members. Alan Wilder left getting on for twenty years ago, although he does the odd remix for them, Andy Fletcher has zero creative influence on the band (he'll admit to that).

Every one has different taste, best to try before you buy if you can. PF are not on Spotify but were on Rdio for a while but not anymore. I like PF but not so much now, 40 years ago they were awesome but I don't like DM.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts