Downloaded tracks - What do you get?

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Regarding downloaded tracks, what are you getting for your money and what can/can't you do with them?

For example, if you had a full mp3 player of paid for tracks, could you sell it on, including the track prices? Could you gift it to someone? Providing of course that you didn't make another copy for yourself.

Can you download in one country and then bring your music with you, if for example, you bought the music on holiday (isn't that importing)?

Could you download an entire 2TB HD library for archiving on your NAS and then compress it for mobile consumption?

Just some questions that came to mind when reading the HD tracks thread. It all seems a bit bizarre really.

A

Anonymous

Hi Overdose. My guess would be yes to each answer. Since there is nothing wrong with gifting a CD, buying one abroad and bringing it back or downloading onto a music manager and then listening to it on an ipod or other player, I cannot see why doing the same with download would be different.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Which seems to make a mockery of the system of restricting HD Tracks from selling outside of the US. It's these restrictive measures and greedy high pricing of music which drives piracy in my opinion.

A

Anonymous

Of all the various formats, downloading was the shortest lived for me. I have been through vinyl (not much choice back in the 1970s), cassette (when I got a car and a boombox after leaving home), CDs (moving with the times) then downloads (itunes arrived and my CD collection was presenting a storage issue).

But downloads had one big issue, no second hand value. I have made a lot of money selling my old records and less so with my cassettes. I expect a good whack when I sell off my CDs. With a download you don't own anything except a right to a digital file. Plus I needed to get a new computer with a big enough memory to cope.

So downloads lasted about a year and now I stream. I still only own a right to a file, but it comes with the huge advantage of also having the right of access to millions of those music files. And with a free app I can listen to music on the move as well. And I do not even have to buy any more memory.

Rather than buy downloads, I would rather spend money to access a world library of streamed music. Its the last format.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Fair comment. I suspect I'll do the same once I think my CD collection is large enough. I Always buy used though.

The CDs will eventually become legacy stuff, quite literally, but not for quite some time yet I hope.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts