double speaker cable runs ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Gray

Gray, you worked at Maplin?!

If you were like the typical employee, I hope your complexion and personal hygiene have taken a step up since...

(Only joking, btw.)
I was in the Service / Returns dept at their original head office.
We only needed to wear jeans and T shirts, whereas the design lab boffins were smarter.
I remember one of them complaining that we looked like scarecrows :)

Gray

I'm similar, in that I was bi-amping but it's bi-amp cable - I other words all four strands are part of the same run. Rather than have two unused bananas at each end, I'm using both speaker outputs and both speaker terminals.

Didn't try it with/without as the decision was more for aesthetic purposes than sonic.
Yes, mine is a 4-core (single jacketed) cable too.
Makes sense to use all 4 cores somehow. Can't imagine why anyone would leave one pair unused.

I was in the Service / Returns dept at their original head office.
We only needed to wear jeans and T shirts, whereas the design lab boffins were smarter.
I remember one of them complaining that we looked like scarecrows :)
Ah, it was the people on the tills and shopfloor who were, well, challenged aesthetically and olfactorily (if such a word exists - spellcheck seems to think so!) At least at what was my local branch, I hasten to add.

Gray

i was wondering whether running 2 separate cables to the same sockets might cause a short circuit or something but i am clueless on these things !
As long as the + and - stay separate, no risk of short. You'd only be parallel wiring, use as many cables as fit in the plug!
(Your idea of using spades and bananas at each end makes it easier).

Gray

Yep - heard that before from a number of sources but still can't understand why I should increase the length of my cable!
Forgive me if you're only joking Sam, but you may have misunderstood what Trev was saying.
He's saying that longer cables sound better (than they otherwise would) when their resistance is lower.
(Not that cables sound better by just making them longer).

TrevC

Considering those at BT can send a signal losslessly down a thin single core bit of wire I would suggest it would have to be very long indeed.
So you might as well use bell wire. Try it, it will sound bad.

It's not comparable. Speaker cable needs to be very low impedance so the response doesn't track the impedance curve of the speakers. B&W quote less than 0.1 ohm.

Wow , so much for the civility and respect you were pleading for when applied to yourself.
Jim, I was always perfectly civil to them and would never say anything to anyone's face that might upset them, and my desire for civility is not limited to myself.

You are in danger of making all this personal - my advice is don't. I'll accept heated debate beyond what I think is reasonable, but I will not put up with anything that crosses over into the ad hominem.

D

Deleted member 188516

So you might as well use bell wire. Try it, it will sound bad.

It's not comparable. Speaker cable needs to be very low impedance so the response doesn't track the impedance curve of the speakers. B&W quote less than 0.1 ohm.

hence my suggestion in the op for using two runs of speaker cable.

D

Deleted member 188516

A signal carrying voice will be pretty much the same as music so yes..
I used to run all single-core cables as interconnects (DNM Reson) with absolutely no detrimental effect to my sound.

dnm reson - these people :

Samd

Forgive me if you're only joking Sam, but you may have misunderstood what Trev was saying.
He's saying that longer cables sound better (than they otherwise would) when their resistance is lower.
(Not that cables sound better by just making them longer).
Forgiven - it was my poor attempt at humour!

Reactions: Gray
D

Deleted member 188516

I thou so at the time. Good but ultimately a tad fragile I found after several equipment changes.

i have just read a bit more from their site. lots of technical talk (eddy currents ?) that might just be marketing speak (?).

noted they also do speaker cable in the same "solid core" design which seems similar to the anti cables speaker cable that was recommended to me years ago.

Gray

our phone line often crackles - down to the cable or speaker in the phone ?!
Often down to where their cables join. Those black boxes at the top of telegraph poles with decades worth of corroded screw terminals - underground cables flooded out.
See if your crackling gets worse in wet weather - it's no coincidence.
Before reporting any fault, be 100% certain that it's not due to anything you've done to internal wiring - otherwise you will be charged - a lot - for the callout.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 188516

Often down to where their cables join. Those black boxes at the top of telegraph poles with decades worth of corroded screw terminals - underground cables flooded out.
See if your crackling gets worse in wet weather - it's no coincidence.
Before reporting any fault, be 100% certain that it's not due to anything you've done to internal wiring - otherwise you will be charged - a lot - for the callout.

thanks for the detailed reply / advice.
i'll bear this in mind.

Reactions: Gray

Jimboo

Jim, I was always perfectly civil to them and would never say anything to anyone's face that might upset them, and my desire for civility is not limited to myself.

You are in danger of making all this personal - my advice is don't. I'll accept heated debate beyond what I think is reasonable, but I will not put up with anything that crosses over into the ad hominem.
It isn't personal. You constantly moan about civility, how it isn't about winning .Yet you take things personally while continuing to contradict yourself de-rail a thread when someone else gives you the opportunity too , moan about the ferocity of debate while accepting it produce an ad hominem statement and then state that you object to anyone who crosses that particular path.
So now we will no doubt see the arrival of a moderator because while you claim to despise the personal , heated, contradictory and opinionated parts of forum life, you actively promote them yourself.
+1

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts