Dolby Digital 5.1 from Apple TV

Pittodriered

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
Just hooked up an Apple TV to my system but not getting 5.1 audio from it. Its connected via HDMI to my amp and i've got Dolby Digital set to on in the settings. All I ever see on my amp display is 2 channel PCM.

I've only tried watching previews on itunes so far, so wondering if they maybe dont have 5.1.

Any ideas folks??

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
Pittodriered said:
Just hooked up an Apple TV to my system but not getting 5.1 audio from it. Its connected via HDMI to my amp and i've got Dolby Digital set to on in the settings. All I ever see on my amp display is 2 channel PCM.

I've only tried watching previews on itunes so far, so wondering if they maybe dont have 5.1.

Any ideas folks??

suspect that's the problem if you've selected DD in the 'settings' menu, the content you've watched so far doesn't have a Dolby digital soundtrack.

dtugarte

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Pretty sure my Apple TV doesnt do anything other than 2 channel PCM on iTunes previews, full DD 5.1 should come through when you purchase or rent something look out for the DD symbol and English 5.1 in movie synopsis.

Mtenga

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
Same problem here. When using Netflix 5.1 material I just get two channel despite much playing around. Others are reporting the same on AV Forums. Something to do with the latest firmware apparently.

Pittodriered

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
I havent rented anything via Netflix or iTunes yet so did wonder if iTunes previews didnt have Dolby Digital even though the programme details say they do. Loads of complaints on the web regarding loss of DD 5.1 on Netflix however some people are saying to use the optical output.

pauljack00

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I have Netflix on about a million different divises only the TV version plays in stereo all the time but this might be because it's going through the ARC.

Apple TV definitely changes between stereo and Dolby depending on the source of the recording.

Mtenga

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
No ARC is perfectly capable of sending dolby digitial 5.1 but not dolby digital plus, which much of netflix is encoded in. It downmixes the DD+ to vanilla DD which can then be sent under via ARC or optical cable.

TnA200

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Hi there!

I would download/stream a few of the new Free TV Shows (quite often Pilot shows) that Apple gives away and try those as test samples. Most of them are in HD and have 5.1 audio.

I know there is a default Audio setting in the Menu, I think mine is set to Automatic, but perhaps yours has jumped to Stereo... Check it out.

Good luck.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts