Question Does this sound good on your system?

insider9

Hi All,

I would love to ask for your opinion on sound quality of a track I released yesterday. I'm not a pro but I feel I'm improving with each day. It was recorded and mixed in my home studio (UK) and guitars and backing vocals were tracked in my buddy's studio in Los Angeles (US). I'd really love to know what you think with many of your systems being into silly money territory (not being sour, only traditionally jealous
:D
)

Here's it is. I'm super excited to share this. Really looking to your feedback. Cheers and enjoy!

View: https://soundcloud.com/i9_records
View: https://soundcloud.com/i9_records/someone-else

Reactions: Gray

insider9

Listened with my best kit (see sig) and I think the quality is very good. You did a good job.
Superb! Thanks very much. By the way I mix low end on all my mixes using AKG K371 which are the successor to the K550. Loved my K550 Mk1. Superb headphones. The SRH1540 are also lovely. Not heard the Elegias though. Nice gear!

Gray

I agree, you did a very got job Insider, plenty going on in the mix too.
Very clear lead vocal, do you use an SM58?

My chain was laptop USB into an Art Phono Plus interface. The Art has an unspecified DAC and its headphone amp is probably quite basic (it's only a monitor output)......
but your track sounded really well balanced into Sennheiser HD560S (y)

Reactions: insider9

insider9

I agree, you did a very got job Insider, plenty going on in the mix too.
Very clear lead vocal, do you use an SM58?

My chain was laptop USB into an Art Phono Plus interface. The Art has an unspecified DAC and its headphone amp is probably quite basic (it's only a monitor output)......
but your track sounded really well balanced into Sennheiser HD560S (y)
Cheers Gray. Appreciate you giving it a listen!

No, the mic was a condenser Rode NT-1A. There was a fair amount of expression and textures that I wanted to capture which would be difficult with a dynamic mic.

I usually record backing vocals with a different mic than the lead, often a dynamic, but somehow on this recording it was all Rode. Not a strict science as I go with my gut when it comes to these decisions.

Once again, thanks for listening!

Reactions: Gray

insider9

...used by many of those YT 'ASMRtists'.
(ASMR - best thing that ever happened to Rode).
Haha, I got it based on low self noise, 10 year warranty and a reasonably low price. To be truthful I was going to return it and somehow ended up keeping it thinking it would be upgraded soon.

As you know there's always temptation to buy more gear but this year I decided to make the most of what I've got :D and not make excuses that it could be better if only I had one of the Neumann mics. So more material's incoming :cool:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts