Does this cable exist?

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I've just purchased a single AVI DM5 to use as a semi-portable mono speaker for in the kitchen and around the house and will be using an MP3 player as the source.

I need to turn the stereo signal coming from the MP3 players 3.5mm headphone output into a mono RCA input to plug into the DM5 speaker. There are plenty of stereo to mono adapters available if necessary that will do the job but ideally I'd like to just use a cable without any adapter.

So basically I need a 'stereo 3.5mm jack to mono RCA cable'. There are a couple of cables on Amazon which might do the job but I'm not sure if they'll convert the stereo signal to a mono output or if they'll just be playing one channel and the other channel won't be heard.

What do you think?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/kenable-3-5mm-S...PKXDN9VZFY

https://www.amazon.co.uk/3-5mm-Mono-Sing...7WKE2JHEHR

https://www.amazon.co.uk/kenable-3-5mm-P...JPSJJN6N9R

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I've order one of these for £1.50: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350841809930

I've also ordered one of these as well for £1.19: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370861911048

According to the descriptions one of them is a "3.5mm mono jack socket to 3.5mm stereo jack plug" where the other one is a "3.5mm Stereo jack socket to 3.5mm Mono Jack Plug". I'm not sure which will be the correct one (maybe both will work?) but for such a low price they're worth a try.

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
of DM5's up.,, Did you get the remaining one, was it's partner damaged? Very curious... I've often wondered if a single DM5 could be used as a centre channel speaker?

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
luckylion100 said:
of DM5's up.,, Did you get the remaining one, was it's partner damaged? Very curious... I've often wondered if a single DM5 could be used as a centre channel speaker?

The one that I bought was previously used as the center channel speaker in a DM5 5.1 home cinema.

I not sure what has happened to its partner. I think I remember a couple of years ago two AVI forum members came to an arrangement to buy a pair of DM5 together and split them up because they both wanted a DM5 5.1 setup so this is probably one of those.

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for that. I too seem to recall reading a similar thread over there in the for sale section. Perhaps that's what got me thinking along these lines. Good to know it's possible then. Many thanks Steve.

Gray

Those leads will give you the left channel at the RCA, but the right channel will be shorted to ground (by the 3.5mm plug). I've only ever got what you need by soldering my own.

Whatever you use, it must have the 3 SEPERATE poles on the jack plug.

EDIT: Just seen your post showing what you've ordered Steve. From the description, looks like that e-bay one is just what you need. (Couldn't see a picture of the first one)

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Gray said:
Those leads will give you the left channel at the RCA, but the right channel will be shorted to ground (by the 3.5mm plug). I've only ever got what you need by soldering my own.

Whatever you use, it must have the 3 SEPERATE poles on the jack plug.

EDIT: Just seen your post showing what you've ordered Steve. From the description, looks like that e-bay one is just what you need. (Couldn't see a picture of the first one)

Thanks for the confirmation. :)

Someone on another forum has also told me the same thing as yourself. I've now orded the two adapters shown in post 2 and the first cable shown in post 1.

I'm not 100% certain but I think the stereo to mono adapter and mono cable should work. If necessary I'll get the soldering iron out and make up a cable myself or pay someone to custom make a cable for me. I'll let you know how I get on with what I've bought next week when everything arrives.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
A kind chap on the AVI forum has offered to custom make a 3.5mm stereo jack to mono RCA cable for me. :D

So that's that problem sorted. *good*
Coming to this late I the party, I was going to say the same, nothing you've bought or listed so far will do what you want, it would need a stereo jack to a single phono.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
What's the story there? Have they stopped making DM5s?

DM5s are still in production. He was referring to me buying just a single DM5 speaker on its own rather than getting a pair of speakers like most people would normally do.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
A kind chap on the AVI forum has offered to custom make a 3.5mm stereo jack to mono RCA cable for me. :D

Think about this for a moment.

Simply combining the left and right output means that the output from each channel is 'seeing' the load impedance of the DM5 and the the impedance of the output of other channel, effectively in parallel.

Given that output impedance (of the source) in these circumstances is much lower than the input impedance of the DM5, I am not at all sure that this will work as expected.

davedotco said:
steve_1979 said:

Simply combining the left and right output means that the output from each channel is 'seeing' the load impedance of the DM5 and the the impedance of the output of other channel, effectively in parallel.

Given that output impedance (of the source) in these circumstances is much lower than the input impedance of the DM5, I am not at all sure that this will work as expected.

Is there going to be a noticeable difference into a single active speaker Dave?

Not my forte just curious. Perhaps the OP might be better off purchasing a powered speaker for his kitchen that is designed to take a stereo input.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Al ears said:
davedotco said:
steve_1979 said:

Is there going to be a noticeable difference into a single active speaker Dave?

Not my forte just curious. Perhaps the OP might be better off purchasing a powered speaker for his kitchen that is designed to take a stereo input.

Each output channel is being fed into the DM5 and the 'other' output channel, simultaneously.

What will the impedance of the 'other' channel be in relation to the high (10kohm) input impedance of the DM5. If it is substantially lower (generally the output impedance is much lower than the input impedance they are designed to drive) then you will be feeding the output of one channel into the output of the other, not something I would like to try.

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Dave is quite correct. There is no such thing as a stereo to mono cable for normal domestic hifi - electrically its all wrong.

By using a simple cable that shorts the left and right outputs together, you have now put the output drivers into contention. Say there is no signal on the left channel, but signal on the right. The left driver will be trying to hold the output at 0V, the right driver doing its best to move the output away from 0V. The electrical equivalent of a fight breaks out.

Depending on the output impedance of the drivers and their power handling capability, this could result in anything from poor quality sound, to an event fatal for the drivers.

What you need is a summing circuit, that adds the left and right channel together in a civilised manner. Very easy to build. At its most basic, putting a 1K ohm resistor in series with the left channel and another 1K resistor in series with the right channel, then shorting the two resistors together should do it. There are circuits and diagrams on the web to show you how to do it.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
davedotco said:
steve_1979 said:

Ahh. Mmmm. Yess. I see what you mean.

*scratch_one-s_head*

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
andyjm said:
Dave is quite correct. There is no such thing as a stereo to mono cable for normal domestic hifi - electrically its all wrong.

By using a simple cable that shorts the left and right outputs together, you have now put the output drivers into contention. Say there is no signal on the left channel, but signal on the right. The left driver will be trying to hold the output at 0V, the right driver doing its best to move the output away from 0V. The electrical equivalent of a fight breaks out.

Depending on the output impedance of the drivers and their power handling capability, this could result in anything from poor quality sound, to an event fatal for the drivers.

What you need is a summing circuit, that adds the left and right channel together in a civilised manner. Very easy to build. At its most basic, putting a 1K ohm resistor in series with the left channel and another 1K resistor in series with the right channel, then shorting the two resistors together should do it. There are circuits and diagrams on the web to show you how to do it.

I wouldn't trust myself to make one but after Googling 'stereo to mono converter' I see that there are several available to purchase.

Which one do you think I should buy?

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I already own a dirt cheap X-Mi Mini speaker which plays in mono without any issues. Even those Beatles songs which have totally different left and right audio there's no problem.

xmi-x-mini-ii-mini-speaker-blue-p31678-d.jpg

steve_1979 said:
I already own a dirt cheap X-Mi Mini speaker which plays in mono without any issues. Even those Beatles songs which have totally different left and right audio there's no problem.

That's the sort of thing I meant in my previous post. Much less hassle than trying to hook up the OP's speaker.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Dave and Andyjm aren't wrong but I think they are overthinking the problem. I've lost count of the number of mono leads and stereo to mono Y-adaptors I've soldered up over the years, nothing has ever been damaged. Just don't try the same trick with loudspeaker outputs.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts