Does Spotify through sonos stream at 320kbs?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
QuestForThe13thNote said:
davedotco said:
grimharry said:
I find the Spotify quality a bit hit or miss sometimes one track is excellent and the next decidedly dodgy. The streamer I’m using is fine for Spotify which is lucky because it doesn’t support tidal. Saying that a streamer upgrade is in the list for the future possibly linn sneaky or similar but not for a while.

Agree with this, but I think this is a function of recording/production quality rather than anything Spotify is doing. I have commented on a number of occasions that Spotify, despite it's limitations, is perfectly capable of showing up differences in recordings. If you want to take the time, there are plenty of albums that come in different versions (remasters, Delux editions etc) and comparing them can be quite instructive.

its the same with tidal for me, big differences in recording quality between some tracks. Tends to be older tracks of 60s etc versus new ones made now. Not that it really bothers me as I just enjoy the music, and accept this. Same with cd of course.

Agree entirely, the older recordings are so much better. The 60s and early 70s were the 'golden age' of recording.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

I was meaning the other way around. Some stuff recorded recently like goldfrapp, Agnes obel, richard Hawley, is on a different level to stuff from 60s like Beatles, kinks etc, if listening through tidal or digital files. Maybe the way it’s gone through to the digital sphere. I tend to find this good new stuff just fuller, more rich, more detailed and just more dynamic.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I was meaning the other way around. Some stuff recorded recently like goldfrapp, Agnes obel, richard Hawley, is on a different level to stuff from 60s like Beatles, kinks etc, if listening through tidal or digital files. Maybe the way it’s gone through to the digital sphere. I tend to find this good new stuff just fuller, more rich, more detailed and just more dynamic.

That is why I answered the way that I did.

Fortunately I listen to very little pop music of any kind, I find most of it offensive. The recordings made in the 60s and 70s, the early days of multitrack are so much better as the recording process was far less forgiving, jazz and classical recordings from that era are consistently among the finest recordings ever.

The best soundstage ever produced on my (last serious) system was a 1960s Dave Brubeck, (recorded in 59, released in the uk in 60 or 61) you could literally walk into the soundstage and the positions of the musicians didn't move, you could actually walk past the sax player and between the piano and the bass, remarkable.

grimharry

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
Agree with getting bored waiting for Spotify cd/ hi res. On another note though listen to a kaiser chiefs cd last night first time in literal years sounded absolutely cr@p production wise.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site

I agree about Agnes Obel, there are many new artists that produce superb music with top class recording quality as long as you steer clear of the mainstream dross .

https://open.spotify.com/album/3jTTLPuVcL6J9pgujnU1lS

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Just dipping in to some of her material.

So far a pretty good example of the things I hate about modern recording, close miked, overproduced and overwrought. Not for me.

Also, played some live David Gilmour (as suggested on another thread), also totally unlistenable, unusual for me as I am normally a huge fan of live albums.

On the other hand, another recomendation, I have been listening to Raime, interesting and enjoyable, one of the few recordings I have played recently that made me think about adding a subwoofer.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
davedotco said:

So far a pretty good example of the things I hate about modern recording, close miked, overproduced and overwrought. Not for me.

Also, played some live David Gilmour (as suggested on another thread), also totally unlistenable, unusual for me as I am normally a huge fan of live albums.

On the other hand, another recomendation, I have been listening to Raime, interesting and enjoyable, one of the few recordings I have played recently that made me think about adding a subwoofer.

That is pretty much how she sounds live, the recording sounds huge on my system, the depth and width of image is stunning as is the detail, it's like sitting directly in front of her performing a few feet away on the stage.

I'm glad you liked the Raime it's quite errr ... moving literally so. *shok*

https://open.spotify.com/track/1fz5oO29RX9MEBVP4yF99L

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Electro said:
davedotco said:

That is pretty much how she sounds live, the recording sounds huge on my system, the depth and width of image is stunning as is the detail, it's like sitting directly in front of her performing a few feet away on the stage.

I'm glad you liked the Raime it's quite errr ... moving literally so. *shok*

https://open.spotify.com/track/1fz5oO29RX9MEBVP4yF99L

I really do not relate to the music at all, I am prepared to give most things a go, particularly live but I would cross the road to avoid that.

Raime is something else though, I do not consider myself to be remotely a 'bass head' but that is one band that has me seriously thinking about a subwoofer.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts