Does quality of pre-amp matter much in an active speaker setup?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I currently use a Beresford Caiman as a preamp/DAC combo with my Dynaudio MC15 active speakers.

Was just wondering if: (1) getting a separate preamp would give any sonic improvements? And (2) would upgrading the preamp/DAC combo to something like the Audiolab 8200CDQ (or ideally a similar product without the CD transport) or the Benchmark DAC give much/any improvement with these speakers?

Thanks for your thoughts!

A

Anonymous

Thanks Gregory.

Any other thoughts? My concern is that most standalone pre-amps I've seen cost 700 pounds and up, which seems like overkill in my set up. And even the Audiolab 8200CDQ or Benchmark DAC with preamp may be 'too good' for my active speakers??

jockey.wilson

Jan 27, 2009
Visit site
Don't dismiss your speakers so quickly.

My 9 year-old Dynaudios have easily shown up every upgrade (and sideways step) that I have taken. With respect to pre-amps, I have just changed mine to a Naim 202, and the difference was incredible. I think the quality of a pre-amp in a system is hugely downplayed.

manicm

jockey.wilson:

Don't dismiss your speakers so quickly.

My 9 year-old Dynaudios have easily shown up every upgrade (and sideways step) that I have taken. With respect to pre-amps, I have just changed mine to a Naim 202, and the difference was incredible. I think the quality of a pre-amp in a system is hugely downplayed.

emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

Thanks, and yep I am very happy with my active Dynaudios.

I just thought - probably wrongly - that preamp quality is less important with active speakers than it is with passive speakers... am I wrong? Given that I probably am wrong, then what would be a suitable preamp + DAC combo for the Dynaudio MC15s?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts