Does my Transcriptors have a built in phono stage?

gisgillen

Jan 21, 2016
Visit site
Very briefly. I`ve just looked at the manual online but can`t figure out if my Transcriptors Hydraulic Reference Turntable from 1976 has a built in phono stage?? Don`t know what it means to be honest? If not, then an external phone stage I suppose. A Cambridge Azur 651A has just come up for sale at €300. A good price and in good condition. Would it be a good match for my B&W XT4`s? Many thanks.

abacus

They were actually made by JA Mitchell Engineering (Yes, those of Gyrodeck fame) for Transcriptors and they also continued with variations on the design after Transcriptors moved on, thus it became the Mitchell Hydraulic Reference turntable.

Are you using the Transcriptors arm or the more common SME3009 Tonearm? (Top turntables in those days allowed you to choose what tonearm you wanted just like they do today)

As above, no phono stage is included.

Bill

gisgillen

Jan 21, 2016
Visit site
Thanks all for your interest. Not been here for a while, hence the delay. I use the Transcriptors Tone Arm and my cartridge is from then, 1976. I have changed the stylus and it still sounds wonderful. Just bought a Cambridge Azur 651A last week and now I`m playing my LP`s even more. Loving it. Just played Soft Machine 7. Looked at it, pristine, sounded pristine. I bought it from the HMV shop down Oxford Street in the late 70`s. As I walked out of the shop, Mike Ratledge (the keyboard player) was stood at the back of a London bus!!!
Bye, bye.

Reactions: nopiano

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts