Does My System Need To Be Run-In Again?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
For the past 8 months my system by necessity has been gathering dust but this week I've finally got it all connected again. After the mandatory warm up though I'm finding the sound a little homogenous and colourless so I'm wondering, since it hasn't been used for such a long time, will it need to be run-in again like new hardware does?

The only change I've made this time around is to remove the floor spikes from the Alphason stand but I can't imagine this would affect the richness of the sound to this extent?

A

Anonymous

Covenanter said:
Put the spikes back on, you may be surprised! My KEFs are different speakers with and without.

Chris

The 684s do have their spikes on but I'm loathe to put the spikes back onto the Alphason rack as I fancy they rob the sound of some of its punch. I suppose I could give it a try to see if I can hear any difference, it's just such a pain to shift all that gear off it and put it all back on again!

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
hi

my dealer told me something like that to... (when you move your gear it need running in time again) But personaly I didn't really noticed that (but I guess it's possible).

What's for shure on the other hand is that the possition of your gear make a big difference (sertenly you'r speakers of course) So you might heve to play a bit withyour speakers to find you're sound back.... this does'thave to be much sometimes 5cm forward, back, left or right do the trick.

A

Anonymous

Roby said:
hi

my dealer told me something like that to... (when you move your gear it need running in time again) But personaly I didn't really noticed that (but I guess it's possible).

What's for shure on the other hand is that the possition of your gear make a big difference (sertenly you'r speakers of course) So you might heve to play a bit withyour speakers to find you're sound back.... this does'thave to be much sometimes 5cm forward, back, left or right do the trick.

Thanks Roby, that's another avenue I should explore because my kit is indeed in a different part of the room from where it was before. It has a bit less space around it now so maybe that's having an effect.

A

Anonymous

After several hours of having the system switched-on (staggered over a period of a few days) the sound is now richer, fuller and more realistic again, I'm delighted to say.

I'll also be leaving the spikes off the rack permanently this time- it's punchier without them.

A

Anonymous

My speakers are actually B&W 684 floor standers. Regarding running-in there seems to be much polarisation of opinion but my kit definitely sounded a bit 'off' after 8 months storage. Maybe the speaker cones have much to do with it, getting a bit stiff with disuse and needing a few hours play to loosen them up again?

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
It sounded different because you changed its position in the room so the room interaction changed.

On the plus side reconnecting everything may have improved the contacts.

The rest will be you getting used to the room/equipment change and your expectation on the support thing [as well as the avoidance of rmoving and replacing all the gear AGAIN].

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Roby said:
hi

Love to know witch dealer - was he wearing a pointy hat?

Cheers :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts