Does anyone need three copies of the same film?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
wireman:Good point David - but I resent having to buy all three, as much for the waste of shelf space storing unwanted discs as anything else. But is anyone here actually getting full use of all three copies, or are they, like me, just using the one they wanted to buy in the first place?

I like having them because I'm just a bit sad like that. So far I've not once used either the DVD or the digital copy of any film I've bought this way, but the digital versions are ready and downloaded in iTunes, just in case...

I ordered the Ultimate Blu-Ray Matrix set from the US with umpteen extra discs with special features etc. Have I ever watched them - nah!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
maxflinn:i knew that, it's quiet tonight, i thought you might have given us a humerous reply
emotion-15.gif

Talk to the upper arm...

A

Anonymous

I have dozens of films like this and have never used the "Digital Copy" facility. therefore quick question for those of you that have.

Is the download version the full HD 1080p (Blu Ray) version of the film? Is it also a "use once" licence that locks itself to the PC or laptop that downloads it or can I shuffle it from Laptop to External drive to PS3?

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Just for the record ( and support of the post ) - I am with you Wireman.

Just give us the single Blu Ray option and make it a bit cheaper. Blu Ray is overpriced, its time to bring the price down and let the format really take off. Its a brilliant format.

I tend to quite often impulse buy from tescos and get reeeeally annoyed when I cant find a single blu ray version. Its just a marketing " lets get more money out of them" scam.

Didnt exactly see a double play cd / tape offer when that all happened.

Get rid thats what I say or at least give us old schoolers the option at a cheaper price. ( And yes you cant beat the feel and artwork etc ... of the good old cd ).

Messiah

somethingbrite:
I have dozens of films like this and have never used the "Digital Copy" facility. therefore quick question for those of you that have.

Is the download version the full HD 1080p (Blu Ray) version of the film? Is it also a "use once" licence that locks itself to the PC or laptop that downloads it or can I shuffle it from Laptop to External drive to PS3?

Download version is SD.

You should be able to shuffle the file between systems. You get the option to download an iTunes version or one for Windows Media Player.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
shado:Previously, the delight with a special copy of the film was a decent booklet, something other than an additional disc.

I'll take the extra DVD copy (and/or download) over a bit of paper any day. Who reads booklets?

wireman

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
psurquhart:Didnt exactly see a double play cd / tape offer when that all happened.

That'd make an interesting audio equivalent... The Six-Pack-Play:

A Vinyl copy, DVD-Audio disc, SACD, a regular CD of course, a Minidisc, and a Cassette version too... and all you really wanted to buy was the SACD format disc!

Oh, of course, the collectors edition would need to include an obligatory downloadable copy too, and perhaps an 8-track cartridge!

Pink Floyd really missed a trick there with "Dark Side"
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

I get REALLY angry about triple plays.

When I want Blu, I buy Blu. I'm prepared to pay a fair premium. When there's no advantage I buy DVD and upscale. It's Avatar vs Juno, if you like.

What I don't like is being forced to buy the extra formats when I don't want, need or even waste any emotional energy considering them. These multi-packs contain materials that carry a cost. I don't want all what's in there, and I certainly don't want to pay for what I don't want, although I can see why some people might want to have all three.

It's like only being able to buy Gordon's gin in packs that include Noilly Prat, Schweppes tonic and a jar of lime slices. I like my gin neat over ice.

What would make great (consumer) sense is to offer single Blu versions as well as multi-packs.

But that's not how Studios think.

"Consumers are animals to be milked for every last drop. Who cares what they think? We can make them buy whatever we want them to buy." An actual quote from a Studio Home Entertainment Executive.

A

Anonymous

Studios are not giving away DVDs and potential downloads. There are rights, royalties and duplication costs (at a minimum) assigned and passed on to each of these formats.

A single BD should be and must be cheaper. If prices on Blu are generally inflated (and they are coming down now, thankfully) then there is no excuse, save greed and contempt for consumer to artificially raise prices by whatever means available to them.

Studios do not give anything away for free.

We are paying for everything.

Dalesman

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
wireman:markjaspi:I don't think they take up any more space do they? The ones I have are the same size as blu-ray only packs I think
Well, this copy is 17mm thick including the sleeve... other Blu/DVD cases are 10mm, some even thinner than that. But when you have circa 500 LP's, 3000+CD's, and 300 DVD/Blu's to store, it all adds up... and you begin to loose sight of your walls pretty rapidly.

Gosh! It's down to mm now,what did you do in the days of VHS? Anyways I think TP is a good option and you can even gift the digital copy to someone else if you don't fancy it.

visionary

Apr 4, 2008
Visit site
Dalesman:
Gosh! It's down to mm now,what did you do in the days of VHS? Anyways I think TP is a good option and you can even gift the digital copy to someone else if you don't fancy it.

which you would think would stop them doing it. After all, I could buy the triple play and give the DVD to my mate and the download to my cousin and then they've potentially lost two sales. Could "harm the industry" as much as illegal copying
emotion-18.gif

A

Anonymous

unless they charge more for the extra formats, or the case takes up more space because of them, then why not have them? they are of use to some and are not exactly a hindrance to others
emotion-15.gif

Dalesman

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
psurquhart:
Just give us the single Blu Ray option and make it a bit cheaper. Blu Ray is overpriced, its time to bring the price down and let the format really take off. Its a brilliant format.

Overpriced? I bought the dvd Gladiator for £20 when it came out,and have got the BluRay version for £6.99 !!!

Dalesman

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
Harrylime:
What I don't like is being forced to buy the extra formats when I don't want, need or even waste any emotional energy considering them. These multi-packs contain materials that carry a cost. I don't want all what's in there, and I certainly don't want to pay for what I don't want, although I can see why some people might want to have all three.

Maybe I got my maths wrong, but how on earth are you paying for the dvd and digital copy here? Inception TP Blu Ray costs £14.99. Dvd on its own is £9.99 and a digital download on itunes is £9.99.

Do you really think they would drop the price to £9.99 on launch without the dvd and digital copy? No. It will still be £14.99 and I would rather have all three which means the other two ARE FREE.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts