Does anyone have or heard how loud AVI ADM9.1 go?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
relocated said:
altruistic.lemon said:
Never thought you'd put your money where your mouth is, relocated, proper armchair warrior you are!

Roth AV, if she was called Shill she was probably a Kiwi. We pronounce the i a bit stronger.

Lemo, read my words.

I AM NOT IN THE LEAST INTERESTED IN YOUR MEANDERINGS. I AM CERTAINLY NOT INTERESTED IN FINANCIALLY SUPPORTING YOUR MEANDERINGS NOR WOULD I LEND MY PRECIOUS AVI ADM 9Ts TO ONE SUCH AS YOU.

I SUSPECT YOU DON'T REALLY WANT TO KNOW WHAT SORT OF "WARRIOR" I AM. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7DqwRKqyMk

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Overdose said:
I think you misunderstand my replies as actually caring about the figures.

Whilst yourself and Oldric seem to have a handle on some facts and figures, it appears to me to come from an enthusiasts perspective, much the same way as a train spotter might relay various minutae regarding technical data and serial numbers about a train, compared with say an actual train engineer/technician who would really know how it worked. You won't find your answers on the interweb, you need to do the actual work.

Apologies if you are, or have been electrical or electronic engineers yourselves, but you just don't come across as anything other than from an amateur DIY level.

If you want to test or verify the speakers, simply buy a second hand pair, test them and move them on. Job done.

The rationale that you pair can't understand how various figures are arrived at, therefore the data is flawed, could easily be seen as a lack of understanding and knowledge yourselves, ie 'if I can't do it, then it must be impossible'.

Once again, I point you to the manufacturers respective technical departments for precise info, but given the way you ask questions, I'd imagine that you'd be given short shrift.

Once again, I've had/have, both the BM5As and the ADM9s and am speaking from direct experience of listening to the two and it is this experience that I am giving to the OP.

A lot of your post is ad hominem.

You have made no attempt to discuss the technical detail of my previous posts. My previous posts were not rocket science. Just simple estimated calculations based on speaker efficiency, amplifier power levels and listening distance. There really is nothing complicated to understand here. Just relatively simple physics and engineering. We're not talking 2nd order differential equations or anything like that.

The trouble with me buying a 2nd hand pair of AVI's and testing them is that there's a high chance that I will permanenty damage them by testing them at 117dbs at 1 metre. Why should I spend good money to just to prove a point on an internet forum? And even if I did such a test I predict that there'd be some slippery get out clause that you would post to refute or undermine the results of my experiment. Something along the lines of "how do we know you're not lying?" or "it must have been a faulty speaker." or "the latest RSS model is so much better than the one you had".

I never add my professional qualifications when signing my name, but on this occaision I will make an exception.

All the best,

Lindsayt B Eng, M Phil

John Duncan

popcorn.jpg

Messiah

altruistic.lemon said:
steve_1979 said:
Messiah said:
Is it groundhog day?

I knew what I would read as soon as I saw AVI in the title :grin:Don't you people get tired of this merry-go-round?

These AVI threads really are mental aren't they. They're more entertaining to watch than the EastEnders omnibus.
Be fair, the AVI forum itself is hard to beat ;)

Well to be fair you may be right. I went over there yesterday as well for the first time in over a year and I still read the same 'discussions' as I was reading back then.

I am just amazed that I come back onto the forum for the first time in a long time and still see the same old arguments from the same old people (no offense!). How do we solve it? Neither side is ever going to back down and neither side will ever prove the other side wrong.

Perhaps just ban AVI threads as they serve little purpose except to turn probably thoroughly nice adults into bickering school children.

Lets all move onto something more worthwhile!

:)

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
Messiah said:
Perhaps just ban AVI threads as they serve little purpose except to turn probably thoroughly nice adults into bickering school children.

Sadly, that maybe the only solution. Since it is clear that neither side intends to do any meaningful self-moderation. All the AVI fans needed to do was to recognise that just because AVI can be recommended in most threads, doesn't mean that it should be (when it is clear that you are annoying so many forum members, perhaps a little restraint is called for). And all the Anti-AVI fans needed to do was stop jumping into every thread that mentions AVI and starting/prolonging the argument (Since that only gives AVI more attention and hype).

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Seems like some people here end up "being" their possessions . Lighten up guys - Hi Fi is only means to an end or it certainly should be. Note to self: be very, very careful about recommending the kit I own.

Viao-2008

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Well i must say i'm speachless to say the least ha ha, did not think i would get many replys never mind an argument sorry if i have caused one. In the end i have have gone for the CM5 with the matching stands with the new Rotel RA -1570 hopefully this will be loud enough for me ha. The AVI speakers do sound amazing and very clear tho and does sound loud from some of the videos on YouTube, just pity they don't have a stock place near whee i live to hear them myself.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Just mention AVI in any thread here and you have lit the blue touch-paper. Cables and mains conditioners have similar effects.
smiley-laughing.gif

Chris

PS I would listen to AVI but the attitude of their promoters here makes my skin crawl.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
richardw42 said:
Just done a really quick, unscientific test using SPL app on iPad.

Using Stone Sour - 82. Sat about 3-3.5 metres away.

Its was flicking between about 85-90 db, with a max of 94. That was LOUD, and tbh dogs were getting a little agitated. Clear as a bell.

As I own them I wouldn't be that interested in turning them up any higher to prove a point to the Internet experts.

That's interesting but it doesn't really prove anything as 85-90dB (at 1/3 of the distance mentioned previously) is a long, LONG way from 100dB (never mind 104 or even 117...).

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Yeah. Doesn't prove anything.

But it got me thinking who would possibly listen louder, some kind of masochist.

My ears were feeling it for quite a long time afterwards, the app was a freebie so might not be the most accurate.

Etymotic

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
I know this isnt directly about the volume capabilities of the ADM's but this post seems to be where most of the AVI detractors are lurking at the moment so........

If you read the last few posts on BigH's subject 'Marantz Pearl Lite and Dynaudio Excite X12' you will see that he has been demoing various combos of speakers and amps up at Bartletts Hi Fi and amazingly has actually come to the conclusion that the ADM9RSS were head and shoulders above everything else he listened to and has ordered some.

This from a man who appears to be very open minded and fair and who was prepared to listen to lots of different combinations of passive speakers and amps before making a considered opinion. He actually says that price wise there is nothing you could get in a passive combo that comes anywhere near what you are getting in the ADM's making them a real Hi Fi bargain by any standard.

No doubt there will be some pathetic attempts on here to say that the demo room was set up wrong or the wiring wasnt right on the passive speakers.

Whatever really..........the proof of the pudding is in the listening....something hardly any of you on this forum have done. BigH now has ......and he absolutely loved them!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Etymotic said:
No doubt there will be some pathetic attempts on here to say that the demo room was set up wrong or the wiring wasnt right on the passive speakers.

no, there won't be, as most of us have said repeatedly, we don't have any issue with the AVIs being a good setup, it's largely the antics of the manufacturer that rub people up the wrong way, such as, in the case of this thread, making claims about the speakers that simply cannot be true given the specification of the amps used. That's why people get annoyed with AVI.

I've said on several occasions that the ADMs sound (from the description of many owners) exactly the sort of speakers I'm looking for but I find Ashley's antics so distasteful that I would never give him my money, which is a shame, although he'd probably find it funny.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Etymotic said:

no, there won't be, as most of us have said repeatedly, we don't have any issue with the AVIs being a good setup, it's largely the antics of the manufacturer that rub people up the wrong way, such as, in the case of this thread, making claims about the speakers that simply cannot be true given the specification of the amps used. That's why people get annoyed with AVI.

I've said on several occasions that the ADMs sound (from the description of many owners) exactly the sort of speakers I'm looking for but I find Ashley's antics so distasteful that I would never give him my money, which is a shame, although he'd probably find it funny.

That's called "cutting your nose off to spite your face" :)

Why not go for some 2nd hand, and swap the Avi badges for something else ? You could get a great deal 2nd hand at the moment, try them and sell them on if you just couldn't stomach it (or didn't like them).

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
fr0g said:
The_Lhc said:

That's called "cutting your nose off to spite your face" :)

I prefer to think of it as standing on principles but I see your point.

Why not go for some 2nd hand, and swap the Avi badges for something else ? You could get a great deal 2nd hand at the moment, try them and sell them on if you just couldn't stomach it (or didn't like them).

Well, there is the other issue of integrating them with my existing home cinema setup, as there's no centre channel (and no I don't buy the whole "they image so good you don't need a centre channel" line).

I definitely would like to hear some though.

Phileas

May 5, 2012
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
it's largely the antics of the manufacturer that rub people up the wrong way, such as, in the case of this thread, making claims about the speakers that simply cannot be true given the specification of the amps used. That's why people get annoyed with AVI.

I haven't seen any posts by the manufacturer on this thread. Also, it's hardly unusual for manufacturers to overstate specs sometimes (although I think the official AVI specs could be defended at some level.)

There's obviously history involved here but most intelligent people seem to have moved on. :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts