Do magazines have too much influence?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Andrew Everard"]
[quote user="Thaiman"]

Irony it's not just how iron tastes... but I am sure you do know that :)[/quote]

Sorry, but wasn't aware of any irony in what you originally wrote.
[/quote]

The subject was about "Do magazines have too much influence?" I can't see what B&O financial account compare to Cyrus have to do with anything! Cyrus, roksan etc (which known as WHF's house products) are more popular as in people know them more through reading WHF magazine and that was my point.
and as for Opera, yes, I seen the review and I didn't say anything about that side of thing at all, comparing to HOW MANY people here asked about cyrus and monitor audio though and it's a rarity. I was just try to prove that "magazines have too much influence" and that is not to say it is anybody's fault.

I should stick to my instinct and keep my comment to myself really....

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Thaiman"] I can't see what B&O financial account compare to Cyrus have to do with anything![/quote]

But you brought up the subject of sales in the first place by saying

[quote user="Thaiman"]Bang & Olufsen is a life style statement, people who buy that type
of music centre couldn't careless and they peoperbly already have a
stack of Krell anyway :)
but Do they sell as many as Cyrus, Arcam or Roksan? I doubt it[/quote]

I was simply responding to that misconception.

[quote user="Thaiman"]
and as for Opera, yes, I seen the review[/quote]

No, you haven't - it's not published until next month.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
"House brands" - I hotly dispute that.

Neither Monitor Audio or Cyrus won a single Product of the Year in our Awards last year, for example. OK, so Roksan won one, but Rega won two, and you don't mention them (or the 17 other Product of the Year winners).

Those brands aren't the backbone of our reference systems either.

Yes, manufacturers can get on a 'roll', when their products are spot-on for price and performance. But this tends to be cyclical, depending on new models coming out: new ranges can (and do) really shake up the market, and this year's 'hot brand' can be next year's has-been.

Look at Onkyo - who'd have thought they'd dominate AV receivers for 2007/8 'season'? But by combining great products with strategic pricing, they did it. It could be very different for 2008/9 with new ranges from Denon, Yamaha, Pioneer etc.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
LOL
Can you speak Thai?? ...even Japanese! it could be easier for me to explain :)
and Opera's reviews was from HiFi choice, sorry for the mix up.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Clare Newsome"]"House brands" - I hotly dispute that.[/quote]

Sorry if I make you a bit cross.
2001....best cd player = Cyrus CD7, best Amplifier = Cyrus CA7.5/smartpower
2002...best cd player = Cyrus CD7Q, Best Amplfire = Roksan Kandy Mk3
2003...best cd player = Cyrus CD6 and Cyrus CD8, Best amplifier = Cyrus 8, Roksan Kandy Mk3.
2004....best cd player = Cyrus CD8x and Cyrus CD6, Best amplifier = Cyrus 8vs and Roksan Kandy mk 3

2005...I don't know! I left magazine in spain on holiday!
2006....best cd player = Cyrus CD6s and Cyrus CD8X,best amplifier = Roksan Kandy L.III, Cyrus 8VS2

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
But why don't you mention all the other brands that won over those years? You're picking out two brands from the 80+ Awards we give out every year - or 16 products in that list above from the 400+ products that won.

B&W surely won as many speaker Awards, or Panasonic TV Awards, or Pro-ject turntable Awards, because they were consistently the best at that time. It doesn't make them 'house brands'.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Thaiman"][quote user="Clare Newsome"]"House brands" - I hotly dispute that.[/quote]

Sorry if I make you a bit cross.

2001....best cd player = Cyrus CD7, best Amplifier = Cyrus CA7.5/smartpower

2002...best cd player = Cyrus CD7Q, Best Amplfire = Roksan Kandy Mk3

2003...best cd player = Cyrus CD6 and Cyrus CD8, Best amplifier = Cyrus 8, Roksan Kandy Mk3.

2004....best cd player = Cyrus CD8x and Cyrus CD6, Best amplifier = Cyrus 8vs and Roksan Kandy mk 3

2005...I don't know! I left magazine in spain on holiday!

2006....best cd player = Cyrus CD6s and Cyrus CD8X,best amplifier = Roksan Kandy L.III, Cyrus 8VS2

[/quote]And your point is what? That we consistently rate those products highly?
BTW 2005 we gave our Product of the Year to the Rotel RA-03, and of course there are many more Best Buy winners in the amplifier category each year...

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Andrew Everard"]
And your point is what? That we consistently rate those products highly?

BTW 2003 we gave out product of the year to the Rotel RA-03, and of course there are many more Best Buy winners in the amplifier category each year...
[/quote]

My point is Why "Cyrus and Roksan" are class as a WHF's house brands. I didn't invented them! go to HiFi shops and ask for yourself? I just simply use the phase that known within HiFi community that's all.....it's not a bad thing is it?

A

Anonymous

I dont know what's worse, some of the outrageously rude posts on this thread, or the fact that the WHS&V staff are responding to these, feeling they need to defend themselves!

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Clare Newsome"]
It may be "known" within the "hi-fi community", but it's not true. Yet another misconception about us based on zero facts of how we work.

[/quote]

yes, and no one can argue with the sale figure. The most read Home entertainments related magazine in the world. See i am not having a go Clare :)

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Thaiman"]My point is Why "Cyrus and Roksan" are class as a WHF's house brands. I didn't invented them! go to HiFi shops and ask for yourself? I just simply use the phase that known within HiFi community that's all.....it's not a bad thing is it?[/quote]

IME lazy retailers will say anything to persuade people that a favourable test of a product they don't stock is invalid or in some way suspect.

If you choose to give credence to such comments that's your problem, not ours.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="thfcwestlower"]I dont know what's worse, some of the outrageously rude posts on this thread, or the fact that the WHS&V staff are responding to these, feeling they need to defend themselves![/quote]

Not defending ourselves, just putting straight some factual inaccuracies we've heard a thousand times before.

But I guess it's 'damned if you do, damned if you don't': if we ignore the thread then some will read into our silence a tacit acknowledgement that the accusations being made have some justification - conveniently ignoring the fact that if we felt that guilty the thread would have vanished days ago -, and if we respond then we are dignifying the accusations by doing so.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="thfcwestlower"]

I dont know what's worse, some of the outrageously rude posts on this thread, or the fact that the WHS&V staff are responding to these, feeling they need to defend themselves!

[/quote]

So, if someone came to the equivalent of your front door and pinned up a notice including inaccurate or misleading information about you, you'd just leave it there with no comment? I bow to your superior tolerance.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="thfcwestlower"]

[/quote]
What on earth are you talking about?! If nobody challenged or responded to a post, this forum would be completely pointless. Weird.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Gerrardasnails"]Lock this one down, please Mr E. Let those who have knocked WHFSAV, unsubscribe and leave the forum.[/quote]

Nah - having far too much fun...

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Andrew Everard"]If you choose to give credence to such comments that's your problem, not
ours. [/quote]

don't shoot the messenger!

John Duncan

So, about these team auditions:

meerkat%20suricate%20meerkats%20suricates%20tour%20r557.jpg

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Thaiman"][quote user="Andrew Everard"]If you choose to give credence to such comments that's your problem, not
ours. [/quote]

don't shoot the messenger![/quote]

Ah, so you are just the messenger now.

How do you manage to deliver messages successfully while back-pedalling so furiously?

emotion-18.gif

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="JohnDuncan"]So, about these team auditions:

meerkat%20suricate%20meerkats%20suricates%20tour%20r557.jpg
[/quote]

So that's what Bill Oddie and Kate Humble look like before make-up has done its thing...

A

Anonymous

Maybe it's an idea to invite the loyal subscibers sometimes to participate in a group test of audio/video product. I, for one, would love to read that! Could we also have a dissenting opinion- like: everybody liked the ipod except Solomon, who still prefered the cowon and sony alternatives? Or: general consensus- the monitor audio is best buy. Drummerman however insists that rega should have been incuded in the test, as it almost certainly would have bettered the rest. I think this makes an valuable and amusing read. (The readers rescue used to be my favorite)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts